How is Crawford still on the roster?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should have cut him and brought in Danny Shelton. Shelton at the 1T, McCoy next to him, Lawrence outside? That would have been a good start to the front four. You'd have Woods as a backup 1T, maybe Hill finds something and you can still draft a DT in a few months.

But my god, their love affair with Crawford.

It's truly embarrassing.
:facepalm:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
More of this "participation trophy" stuff, just great.

"Pressures", now the limbo bar for expectations is dropped to pressures. $10 million for a guy who gets pressures now. He's an outright liability at RDE, so save me and anyone else the position flex argument.

I am. All the time. And guess who's proven right again and again and again regarding this player?

(Hint: Not the team!)

You are asking the reasons why. I gave you the reasons why.

Neither you and I have to like them or agree with them.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's truly embarrassing.

After seeing the contract details of Lee and McCoy there is absolutely no way Crawfords contract stays the same if he's here at all. Maybe they are letting big names get signed then cut the guy so he is left jobless?

Sydla

Reaction score
It's truly embarrassing.

Shoot Shelton got $8MM total, $4MM per year. You could have restructured Crawford and been able to fit both him AND Shelton under that 8MM base salary Crawford is due.

At the very least, he should have been restructured by now.

quickccc

Reaction score
Amid all of this team's moves, how is it that this guy is still sitting here counting $9.1 million against the cap?

Word is they reworked Zeke and Collins' contracts to free up money. Why has nothing been done on this obvious mistake?

I know it's me, and I know it's beating a dead horse for me, but it's also a valid question!

For all of the good moves they have made, why is nothing being done here?

Why has this team not make the painfully obvious move of doing something about this contract? Other teams have made measures to cut costs and dead weight, and out worst contract sits on the books? Why?

would you still have a problem with Crawford being on the roster if he agreed to a considerably cut in salary ?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After seeing the contract details of Lee and McCoy there is absolutely no way Crawfords contract stays the same if he's here at all. Maybe they are letting big names get signed then cut the guy so he is left jobless?

Sure, that 'helps' everybody!
:laugh:

Like I keep saying, there's no reason for this.

Kaiser

Reaction score

The team has a ton of cap space and all sides have known Crawford's salary would change for 2020. There is absolutely no reason to do this before other negotiations, unless you are an obsessed fan who desperately wants to claim victory in an obsession.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shoot Shelton got $8MM total, $4MM per year. You could have restructured Crawford and been able to fit both him AND Shelton under that 8MM base salary Crawford is due.

At the very least, he should have been restructured by now.

Yeah, but the cheerleader keeps saying "we don't need the money!"

Meanwhile, better players with real roles like Shelton and Linval Joseph sign elsewhere.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
would you still have a problem with Crawford being on the roster if he agreed to a considerably cut in salary ?

Personally? Yes I would. Given his recent injury issues, age, and what now looks to me like nothing more than a backup rotational role? I feel that I can get that player younger, cheaper, and with upside.

Crawford is not playing LDE over Lawrence. He isn't playing 3T over McCoy, and he certainly isn't playing 1T over Woods (or anyone else they might sign). And playing him at RDE - as has been proven true - is a fool's errand, leaving you susceptible to huge plays in the running game as well as bringing nothing to the position as a pass rusher, with Crawford getting 0 sacks in that spot.

It's not a personal thing against him, it's just a clinical, return on investment thing. It is not and has not been worth it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The team has a ton of cap space and all sides have known Crawford's salary would change for 2020. There is absolutely no reason to do this before other negotiations, unless you are an obsessed fan who desperately wants to claim victory in an obsession.

For me it's not about needing cap space. If we can get the same or better production for less then we should and that goes for every position. He's a nice guy, he can play along the line in a pinch and he has but he's still over paid.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Think of it this way.

Detroit just got Danny Shelton, their starting nose tackle, for $4 million a year. Based on that, what is Crawford worth at this point?

Kaiser

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Sydla

Reaction score

Meanwhile, better players with real roles like Shelton and Linval Joseph sign elsewhere.

Joseph got snatched up? What did his contract look like?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His dead money is $1.1M. Cutting him after June 1 doesn't buy them much.

Exactly. That part is a total non-factor. It's no excuse for why nothing has been done.

Look league-wide. Teams have and are cutting their dead weight and bad contracts. Not us. That opens up for questioning why.

Kaiser

Reaction score
For me it's not about needing cap space. If we can get the same or better production for less then we should and that goes for every position. He's a nice guy, he can play along the line in a pinch and he has but he's still over paid.

We will, its a lock to happen. But its beyond silly to be complaining that it hasn't happened yet.