How is Crawford still on the roster?

Tussinman

Reaction score
Whats crazy is Crawford was cited by media sources as a cap casulilty last off-season.

Hankins and Shelton where signed for the combined price savings of cutting him and it would of freed up Thornhill to be taken in the 2nd

Thats why you don't screw around in free agency, it messes up the draft as well. That's 3 defensive positions that could of been upgraded

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me it's not about needing cap space. If we can get the same or better production for less then we should and that goes for every position. He's a nice guy, he can play along the line in a pinch and he has but he's still over paid.

And better players with actual starting roles are being signed as we speak for less money.

But again, some cheerleaders feel compelled to make excuses for every bad decision their favorite team makes.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephens favorite few words ....

"Position flex"
"Versatility
"

When I hear those words Im starting to think. A guy who is ok at two positions but not good at either. For what he is about to make Crawford should be a probowler at one position. He should take a pay cut or be cut. Save them dollars. Let the Oakland Cowboys sign him lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash's theme song regarding Crawford:

And here you are once again 'my old friend'!
gif

You see the name Crawford and come running, like a fly to ....

quickccc

Reaction score
Think of it this way.

Detroit just got Danny Shelton, their starting nose tackle, for $4 million a year. Based on that, what is Crawford worth at this point?

Good point.
if Crawford agreed to a 2 million, 1 year to be a dual role player DE/DT, would you do it ? the vet minimum i believe is 480,000 nowadays.
my thinking is you still want rotations bodies until you have the idea replacements, and especially with his experience to play well both in spots and rotations.
but i dunno if crawford coming off a shoulder surgery will want to be reduced to such a lower price position,.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I hear those words Im starting to think. A guy who is ok at two positions but not good at either. For what he is about to make Crawford should be a probowler at one position. He should take a pay cut or be cut. Save them dollars. Let the Oakland Cowboys sign him lol.

Bingo!
:hammer:

Teams are signing quality starters while we screw around with this guy and this contract.

This farce should have ended several years ago, but apparently wasting $10 million last year wasn't quite enough of a wake up call for some of this forum's cheerleaders?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point.
if Crawford agreed to a 2 million, 1 year to be a dual role player DE/DT, would you do it ? the vet minimum i believe is 480,000 nowadays.
my thinking is you still want rotations bodies until you have the idea replacements, and especially with his experience to play well both in spots and rotations.
but i dunno if crawford coming off a shoulder surgery will want to be reduced to such a lower price position,.

I wouldn't personally, as I think he's only going to break down again. And I feel that he provides no position flex as he is a liability at DE, not an asset. From my view, he's barely a passable backup 3T at this point, and the idea of playing him anywhere else is laughable. But it's certainly much more palatable than the joke of his current contract.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Amid all of this team's moves, how is it that this guy is still sitting here counting $9.1 million against the cap?

Word is they reworked Zeke and Collins' contracts to free up money. Why has nothing been done on this obvious mistake?

I know it's me, and I know it's beating a dead horse for me, but it's also a valid question!

For all of the good moves they have made, why is nothing being done here?

Why has this team not make the painfully obvious move of doing something about this contract? Other teams have made measures to cut costs and dead weight, and out worst contract sits on the books? Why?
Maybe there was a clause in getting out of Rod’s contract that Crawford’s deal couldn’t be touched? I have no other guess after that. Hip surgery, marginal player and a high cap figure make no sense otherwise. Ridiculous they have not adjusted this by either cutting him or restructuring.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe there was a clause in getting out of Rod’s contract that Crawford’s deal couldn’t be touched? I have no other guess after that. Hip surgery, marginal player and a high cap figure make no sense otherwise. Ridiculous they have not adjusted this by either cutting him or restructuring.

I'm glad that other people can see what's going on too.

Based on some of the posts I've seen in here?

source.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Marinelli really screwed this defensive line up good.

While the cheerleaders continued to defend him as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not a bad way to make a living. If you can find the work.

That's why billionaires would crawl over their own mother to get in. It is the ultimate golden goose. The license to print money.

A 'business' where no matter how badly you screw up, you still makes hundreds of millions of dollars every year, all while the value of your team grows, if you ever DID decide to sell.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
At some point the Cowboys will either cut him or he will have to take a paycut. They are likely waiting till they know exactly how much cap space they need based on other negotiations.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amid all of this team's moves, how is it that this guy is still sitting here counting $9.1 million against the cap?

Word is they reworked Zeke and Collins' contracts to free up money. Why has nothing been done on this obvious mistake?

I know it's me, and I know it's beating a dead horse for me, but it's also a valid question!

For all of the good moves they have made, why is nothing being done here?

Why has this team not make the painfully obvious move of doing something about this contract? Other teams have made measures to cut costs and dead weight, and out worst contract sits on the books? Why?
Why they gave him the contract to begin with was a mystery, but at the time I hoped they saw something I didn't, and that it would show up over time. It never did, so now I'm wondering why they are still clinging to it. It's a head scratcher.

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for versatility and depth, but at about half the cost.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why they gave him the contract to begin with was a mystery, but at the time I hoped they saw something I didn't, and that it would show up over time.

He was always a 3-4 defensive end and has been screwed and trying to find his role ever since they made the switch. At the time, I trusted Marinelli's judgement and assessment that Crawford could be his 'Warren Sapp'. That's what he sold the team but it never happened. Another thing we have Rod to thank for.

It never did, so now I'm wondering why they are still clinging to it. It's a head scratcher.

So very much so.

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for versatility and depth, but at about half the cost.

That would be about $4 million. The Lions just got their starting nose tackle in Danny Shelton for that. Still overpriced for me.