How long does Witten last at MNF?

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
He just needs better coaching, obviously the coaches suck and aren't working his strengths.
I don't think he is that bad, he is better than listening to buck/aikman

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
tonight was first time I’d heard him and he was awful.

He’d do well right before the snap calling out coverage but in breaking down what happened and trying to make conversation he was atrocious.

Booger actually schooled him and he doesn’t have the overhead view Witten does.

I can see ESPN going to a 2 man booth next year with Booger. Witten is clearly the 3rd wheel.

He’ll be even worse for our game because he will want to stay impartial but the nerves I can see getting to him.

Not nearly as long as he lasted as a player. He may have to call Parcells who will insist that he gets his jaw wired shut and takes a few games off this time:muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's gotta be tough to try to come up with stuff to talk about for 3 hours straight and remain interesting. That being said, he's terrible at it. He's always struck me as being very flat and stoic, with not much of a personality. Not that any of that's a knock on him as a person, but those are not qualities that transition well to being someone that people want to listen to for a whole football game.
Great point and when a game is not interesting, Buck/Aikman have a relationship to fall back on and Aikman plays the straight man. Last Sunday, the Cowboys game was losing steam and Nantz got Romo off on that McGregor tangent about him throwing that pass and they turned that into a light segment but they have history. They're golf buddies and Nantz started the ball rolling to get Romo.

Witten has just been thrown in there with two guys he doesn't know and they're new to the scene as well. They really don't have a lot to talk about except what's going on down on the field. They are all game dependent. What Witten needs is Romo beside him and if it gets boring, they could talk about how nice Jessica's hoobahs were in Cabo. And get all of us riled up all over again. (sigh) I miss those days.

A lot of these guys can't help it, they're just boring. Remember Montana? Talk about a fish out of water. But then there's the other extreme like Bradshaw and Strahan, gag me with a shoehorn. I absolutely detest Bradshaw.

Many here are too young to remember my favorite one, Alex Karras. Now, I would watch a game that he was doing just to get one of his trademark dry one liners delivered in that deadpan style. Remember the night Otis Sistrunk was sitting on the bench with steam coming off that bald head? University of Mars, I laughed long time over that one. And when he was asked where the worst fans are by Johnny Carson he replied "Philly, they gather at Easter and boo the kids that don't find any eggs".

Hell, they can replace every one of those color guys with comics for my 2 cents. Love to hear Bill Burr and Tom Segura doing games. I know most didn't like Dennis Miller on MNF but I loved him. You think some football player is going to respond to what he did during the day in Nashville with "visited the sequin mines"?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

He’d do well right before the snap calling out coverage but in breaking down what happened and trying to make conversation he was atrocious.

I can see ESPN going to a 2 man booth next year with Booger. Witten is clearly the 3rd wheel.

He’ll be even worse for our game because he will want to stay impartial but the nerves I can see getting to him.

He's no Fred Williamson!

jrumann59

Reaction score
MNF won't make a change until the off season. Ever since it got picked up by ESPN it has been the red headed stepchild because it no longer is national game but a cable game.

erod

Reaction score
Witten is smart and likable, but his cadence is bad, and I can't stop staring at his wig.

reddyuta

Reaction score
they should just hired Witten but now they have Booger competing for air time with Witten and the commentary seems very rushed to me.

BoysForLife

Reaction score

I absolutely love Witten. One of my all time favorite Cowboys, hands down.
And yes, you are correct, he is clearly not getting off to a fast start in the booth.

I would say let's wait until he has a full season under his belt before rendering final judgment but yes, initially it isn't good. I would concede that and it needs to get better.

ryanbabs

Reaction score

I could really tell how angry he was when ARod brought the Pack back. He kept bashing the Niners. I was too, lol. Too many bad memories.