How many would take a pay cut?

Verdict

Reaction score
This is to all the posters who want players to take a pay cut.

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.

Football is different because of the salary cap. This isn’t that hard to figure out.

Dak, Amari and Zeke stand to make more money in endorsements if they win a super bowl, so they also have some incentive to take a reasonable deal rather than trying to set the market.

The Tank deal was a poor signing for the Cowboys no matter how it turns out, because the players smelled blood in the water after that deal was signed.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have more criticism for Jerry/Stephen opening their big, fat mouths during contracts negotiations than I have for Zeke and Dak.

They do just as much harm to the team by not shutting their pie holes regarding contracts as the players.
Isn't that what brought all of this to the light? Elliott, Cooper and Prescott didn't mention new deals to the media, that was the Joneses and with Elliott, another player, the highest paid player at his position, was mentioned as a comp.

This situation with Elliott would not be where it is had they not made this public and we don't know the reaction from Elliott or his agent to this latest shot at him for not being the good team guy that Smith is. This is an emotionally mature kid and Booger brought himself right down to he level with that pc and I could care less if he's pissed, he's pissed off the fanbase for decades.

Now, there's no GM to run interference for the owner's remarks and the war of words has done nothing to bring the sides together. Angry people make poor negotiators.

And I keep asking this question without an answer and it's getting harder to even speculate about it. Do we know if Elliott even wants to be a Cowboy? Think he might want to change the view and change his life?

Some were shocked at the hold out with 2 WHOLE YEARS on the contract but what if this is a move to get out? Force their hand to trade him?

cern

Reaction score
saints and sinners are on both sides. leveon bell swiped at the steelers. Antonio brown swiped at fellow teammates. browns just traded a rb who demanded a trade. zeke is the one that forced the issue. sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Opportunity cost seems to be seldom considered by players and Agent's are just parasites looking at the bottom line of a contract. Getting $8.67M in Texas or Florida is the same as $10M in Cali. The smartest decision won't always be the one for the most salary.
Texas isn't the only state without state income tax but Dallas is the worst city, within those states, for property taxes.

These agents net out the money to take home pay for these players. They're smart guys, they know how to show the players that they are smarter than the players are about money. And the players are taxed at away games, if those venues have state or local taxes and they have to file in every state they play in. Because of this, that advantage that states without state income tax only works for home games. It's not where they reside or the team they play for, it's where the money is earned.

LMAO, we think the players look at the schedule when it first comes out to check the competition, they're looking at the venues that don't have state income tax or local taxes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Football is different because of the salary cap. This isn’t that hard to figure out.

Dak, Amari and Zeke stand to make more money in endorsements if they win a super bowl, so they also have some incentive to take a reasonable deal rather than trying to set the market.

The Tank deal was a poor signing for the Cowboys no matter how it turns out, because the players smelled blood in the water after that deal was signed.
I'll take that one step further. Don't poor mouth me about your cap after dropping 250M on a boat. Wanna be a showoff with your money? Gimme sum of dat!!!!

Reaction score
And I keep asking this question without an answer and it's getting harder to even speculate about it. Do we know if Elliott even wants to be a Cowboy? Think he might want to change the view and change his life?

Some were shocked at the hold out with 2 WHOLE YEARS on the contract but what if this is a move to get out? Force their hand to trade him?
If Zeke does want out, the question would be why?

Jerry has had his back for all his off field issues. He went to war with Goodell. Jerry tries to delay Goodell's extension. Jerry had owners on the committee of Goodell's salary ready to fine him for conduct unbecoming (or whatever). I think Jerry got fined $1 million. All in support of Zeke. There is no owner in pro sports more supportive of their players than Jerry.

Does he want out because Dak will make twice as much as him even if Zeke is more important? Maybe. But that doesn't change somewhere else. QB make the most money everywhere. That's the way it is.

There is no logical reason why Zeke would want out of Dallas. He just wants to be the highest paid. It's as simple as that, IMO. I just think he may have overplayed his hand and Jerry is now pissed.

Reaction score
saints and sinners are on both sides. leveon bell swiped at the steelers. Antonio brown swiped at fellow teammates. browns just traded a rb who demanded a trade. zeke is the one that forced the issue. sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.
Agreed.

NFL players are looking at the player empowerment of NBA players and are pushing for the same. The NFL is a different beast however.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.

Thats a bad comparision.

With 4$ less having an average salary its hard to make a living. By taking 2 mil less you still can have a great life when you are paid like Zeke or Dak.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I work on contracts.
You better believe I'm making sure I get paid what I'm worth.

Cue @Melonfeud ...

Now worth is a complicated thing.

To me football players have no worth. They dont produce anything the society gets something from. Like an engineer does for example. A teacher, a craftsman, a nurse, a baker etc...

All football is is entertainment. You can live without that. It has next to no value. A cultural one. But nothing people really need.

From that kind of view to me a football player has not alot of worth. Pay them 2k a month. And thats already a lot. Everything more should make them happy.

I am so pissed about these egoistic *******s.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score

He isn't taking pay cut, he is negotiating a raise. Two different things

Reaction score
Now worth is a complicated thing.

To me football players have no worth. They dont produce anything the society gets something from. Like an engineer does for example. A teacher, a craftsman, a nurse, a baker etc...

All football is is entertainment. You can live without that. It has next to no value. A cultural one. But nothing people really need.

From that kind of view to me a football player has not alot of worth. Pay them 2k a month. And thats already a lot. Everything more should make them happy.

I am so pissed about these egoistic *******s.
Wow.

And people accuse me of taking an extreme view.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This isn't entirely correct Glim. Jones said that they know that the negotiation starts at Gurley money. He never said that this is what the Cowboys were going to offer him. I mean, negotiation can be negotiated up or down, according to leverage. Honestly, neither Dak nor Zeke have any real leverage, at this point. Jerry does. I think it is what it is.
SJ said he knows it starts at gurly money and goes up. And he had the money set to the side. Lol. Now you are correct though, it doesn’t mean that’s what we offered. And I think it would be funny after the trouble he has given the FO and holding out if we offered bell money for a while.

Brax

Reaction score
LOL Strawman?

That makes no sense.

You accused the Cowboys of reneging on their word but technically that’s what Zeke is doing holding out and refusing to play under his deal.

Just because you want to pretend it’s not the same thing doesn’t make it so.

And further, what Jones said about Gurley was something he said to the media. It was hardly a contract promise made to Elliott.

It also was said before Elliott looked like a doofus bumping a security guard while drunk.
Zeke had to sign the contract he did to play, he had no choice or bargaining power when drafted. If he wants to loose money by withholding his services it's his right just like yours or mine. He has a value he believes he's worth and the Cowboys have their value. All this crap of he has a contract is plain BS, the only option Zeke has right or wrong is withhold services. If this was his second contract then I would be on board about honoring it. reports say that the Jones boys knew about this in January so it's really their fault, Jerry thought he had Zeke where he wanted him but it didn't work out that way. On off the field issues I am sure you were a poly purebred when you were young and never drank, or did dumb things. Worse thing that happens is Zeke doesn't play this year, when he and his extended family need $ he will be back at some point because we are not talking $4 a hour here.and that's just the reality of it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His leverage is his absence could hurt the team. This is the business of the NFL.

Nothing bothers me more than Jerry’s insistence on being GM handicapping football operations.

If this was a franchise tag situation, i'd almost sympathize. You can't manage a salary cap with a bunch of guys demanding new contracts years early .............which is what will happen if the cowboys cave into Zeke. Might as well pony up for LVE now too.

jnday

Reaction score
That's an arbitrary statement that first off, U have no evidence to support period. Secondly, I have done type of things many times over in my life I. Different scenarios to help others. I work for myself. And have helped widows , old ppl., Friends and family over and over again for free. I've been grossly underpaid for most jobs in my life. But helping others is about putting self aside for the good of others. This is taught in the biblical worldview, bit in the worldviews of most ppl. This isn't what's taught or followed, and that's why we have so many ppl. That think nothing but their own selfish gain. This world is going to hell, and selfishness is leading the way
Preach on Reverend Ike. You are right you know.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I have not taken a pay cut, but I have put off taking raises for myself in order to get them for the employees I'm over. I think that would be more similar to this situation. If there is a finite pie, taking a bigger slice for yourself means there's less for everyone else.

Now, I don't believe the NFL actually has a finite pie. I think it has been proven over the years that the cap can be manipulated to fit in whatever contracts the team owners want to fit in. Obviously, they have to be structured the right way, but the Cowboys could make Elliott the top-paid running back in the league without it really affecting the contracts of other players. It makes it easier if he takes less, of course.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If this was a franchise tag situation, i'd almost sympathize. You can't manage a salary cap with a bunch of guys demanding new contracts years early .............which is what will happen if the cowboys cave into Zeke. Might as well pony up for LVE now too.
Actually I would pay LVE now. Lol.