How Much Money Would Jerry Jones Lose If He Stepped Down As GM?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium attendance sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in team apparel sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in sponsorships?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium concessions sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in naming rights?
  • How much money would Jones lose in non-NFL stadium event sales?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

I stole the following from a fellow member:

Please give me your thoughts.
My thoughts are that Jerry doesn't care about the money as much as he cares about the power and prestige.....also, I'm going to copyright "please give me your thoughts" and throw into a bonfire!

fivetwos

Reaction score
The whole operation is based on a lie.

Jerry isn’t the GM but keeps the title so he can say he built the team should they happen to win.

Lying usually works out and ends up well so the results are surprising.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

Really, he could step down as GM
And still do promotional items as the owner.
So he would only lose whatever salary he would be paying the GM.
Also I believe the team would be more successful with a competent GM, have more playoff success and become even more valuable.

Those are my thoughts, lol

John813

Reaction score
IMO at this stage of his life, money is part of his blood at this point, but it's more about ego than anything else.

He would lose no $, but probably increase his net worth, unless of course they named Stephen the official GM.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Have you ever seen his face when someone jokingly calls him “coach”? It’s all about getting credit for building involved.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

he would not "lose" any money, he just might not make as much.
But then again if cowboys won a SB then he might make more $ off the cowboys.

The thing is jerry likes playing with his "toy" the toy being the cowboys. He wont give that up, or the attention he gets from it.
That is what he really likes more than $, more than winning SB's etc, he likes playing with his toy and the attention.

shabazz

Reaction score

He's probably looking for a loss to offset his massive revenue....if I was him, I'd invest heavily in solar and wind energy to get those losses

vlad

Reaction score
Nominally and directly attributable one would think the best you can define is the full cost of employment of the GM (salary, benefits). I think the point is he's so rich he can be the GM and not give a rats behind about any of us.

if I understand your question correctly.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Come to think of it can we with 100% certinty say he doesn't make big crazy contracts for his players to creat headlines..."Look what i can spend ego!" I mean i want to think its not true but...really... can i? His money was made to feed his ego.. How many times has he set the market for a position at the time it steasl the most spotlights....

exciter

Reaction score

Hmmm… are there actually people who still don’t realize McClay is the GM in everything but name only… damn!!!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

This is a bizarre question. Reminds me of the SNL skit, “The point is moot!” He obviously wouldn’t lose a dime.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they replaced him with an NFL caliber GM they might actually win something! Can you imagine how much money we'd spend on that team if they were a legit contender every year?!?

Adiba1977

Reaction score
He wouldn't lose anything. Stephen would just officially take the title over. All of you who hate Jerry need to realize nothing will change when he dies. Stephen just picks up where he leaves off.
Stephen is much much worse. He’s doesn’t care about winning at all. Zero.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmmm… are there actually people who still don’t realize McClay is the GM in everything but name only… damn!!!
lol. Will McClay brought more stability to player acquisitions. Jerry Jones makes the final decisions and likely goes with his gut over recommendations. Remove Jones from the GM equation and the roster would very likely be in much better shape--in terms of overall talent and salary cap impact.

McClay has little to no say over other GM affairs, such as interviewing, hiring and firing head coaches. I believe he would do an above average job at that and other GM responsibilities but he is limited by an individual, whose tenure at the position, in any describable way, should have self-terminated over 25 years ago.