How Much Money Would Jerry Jones Lose If He Stepped Down As GM?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nominally and directly attributable one would think the best you can define is the full cost of employment of the GM (salary, benefits). I think the point is he's so rich he can be the GM and not give a rats behind about any of us.

if I understand your question correctly.
Sorta but the bold is on-point. No, the thread underscores the illogic of the greed argument posters have made for as long as Jones has outlived the necessity of even being called a GM.

Jones is not motivated by making money in regards to football management basically. Every GM move he makes is detached entirely from revenue streams. He can (and should) produce the same revenue without an extra extra title behind his name. Practically all other professional sports team owners make money just like Jones the owner does, except not as well, lol.

A fan spending money to see a game in person at AT&T Stadium does not make Jones do stupid GM things. The power and fame of being the "main" person responsible for how successful his teams captured three Lombardi Trophies is the explanation.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Jerry could make significantly more $ if he fired himself as GM and hired a good one instead.

It's a doggone shame he won't. He'd surely make more money whenever the playoffs rolled around.

On top of that, the number of players wanting to play for the Cowboys should possibly double, also.

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
His ego simply would not allow for this.

Winning in football, especially at the highest level, requires incredible dedication and sacrifice.

Jerry will not sacrifice his ego and his business dealings means he cannot dedicate the time that a GM must to improve the roster.

So, when he says there is nothing he wouldn't do to win another championship, know that he is lying. He's not trying to "win his way" or "win on his terms". He is simply being untruthful.
This is the only reason

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
He wouldn't lose anything. Stephen would just officially take the title over. All of you who hate Jerry need to realize nothing will change when he dies. Stephen just picks up where he leaves off.
And it's obvious Stephen will be even worse.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And that is why narcissists usually make the best leaders throughout history.
If you mean military leaders then that is mostly due too psychopathy. It helps not to freak out when everyone around you is dying. You have to be a psychopath to be unaffected.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Jerry isn't worried about the money.
I think David Carr said it: In Dallas, Jerry Jones is the star, as opposed to other franchises where the players get all of the attention.
Jerry wants the attention.
Usually the face of the franchise is the HC and star players, typically QB.

New England: Brady / Belichick
Kansas City: Mahomes / Reid

Dallas: Jerry Jones.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium attendance sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in team apparel sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in sponsorships?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium concessions sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in naming rights?
  • How much money would Jones lose in non-NFL stadium event sales?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

I stole the following from a fellow member:

Please give me your thoughts.
i question that you try to establish a causal link between the greed argument and his GM position.
why not do that with the owner position ?

Of course its good for the point you are trying to make but your approach is wrong from the start.

kskboys

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

He would gain money as fans would flock back.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i question that you try to establish a causal link between the greed argument and his GM position.

Of course its good for the point you are trying to make but your approach is wrong from the start.
??? Why not?
  1. Jones is the owner
  2. He made himself general manager
  3. He has mismanaged being a GM, which 'most' observers understand
  4. 'Some' observers equate his mismanagement as a GM, because he is greedy
  5. The same observers believe he will stop his mismanagement as a GM if he ever took a big enough hit in his wallet
Hopefully, my OP gets the reader to stop-and-consider a scenario of Jones not as a GM he has been for nearly three decades. Basically, to stop-and-remember who he was and his impact on football management before his divorce with Johnson.

Anyone like myself did not give a rat's behind about Jones when he was essentially just an owner. The problems started after he installed himself permanently as a GM.

His motivation for being the GM was and is not about how much money he makes or loses. That motivation comes from his owner mentality, just like any business owner. Making money has nothing to do with his desire to be and continue being the GM.

Despite this, some people have always thought putting the squeeze on Jones' wealth machine would force him to remove himself as GM and hopefully do the same with his kids--or just Stephen at the very least. That approach has a logical chance of being successful if two factors existed:
  1. Jones casually thought of himself as a GM
  2. The negative impact of heavy financial losses would significantly devalue his net worth
Well, Jones does not casually see himself as a general manager. His self-image is a GM, who was the primary orchestrator for Dallas winning three Super Bowls in less than a decade. That is quite a feat that you, others and I understand is not reality. Jones thinks it is true though. His death grip on the GM position has zero to do with how many butts he can put into AT&T Stadium seats. It has everything to do with his narcissism that self-validates himself as the most qualified person to do the job. Yes, he has contradicted himself in the past in that regard. Narcissists do that too.

However, let's put that aside for a moment and consider the greed argument for a moment. Instead, let's focus on a worst case, money making scenario for Jones the owner. Let's say team jersey sales decrease by... 20%? Ticket sales by 35%? 50% of his sponsors dropping him like a hot rock? Concession sales drop by 60%? Do the same to every single one of his NFL revenue streams outside of what the league splits from television broadcast rights contracts that football consumers cannot directly prevent without nationwide organized disruption.

Strip all that away and Jones is still a multi-billionaire in real estate holdings alone. Forget property super-wealth. Jones is a multi-billionaire outside everything to do with what he built that is connected with the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL.

So, according to some, Jones the owner will have a mental sit down with Jones the GM inside his Cryptkeeper skull and say, "This is too much pressure. I can't take it. *sob* I'm too greedy. These operating loses are humongous. You, GM Jones, are the weakest link. Goodbye."

That ain't happening. Heck. He does not even see anything he does as GM as a problem with making or losing money to begin with. Even so, what does some people keep saying is the main problem with Jones the GM?

Answer: "He's greedy."

The problem with Jones as GM has never been how fat he can make his wallet. The problem has always squatted between his ears.

/early morning super rant

rags747

Reaction score
If you mean military leaders then that is mostly due too psychopathy. It helps not to freak out when everyone around you is dying. You have to be a psychopath to be unaffected.
Actually was mainly thinking business leaders but yes military there would be a whole list as well. Business would be Musk, Bezos, Larry Ellison, Martha Stewart, Jack Welch, Richard Branson, Mark Zuckerberg, Rupert Murdoch, Edison, Ford and on and on and on.

kskboys

Reaction score
??? Why not?
  1. Jones is the owner
  2. He made himself general manager
  3. He has mismanaged being a GM, which 'most' observers understand
  4. 'Some' observers equate his mismanagement as a GM, because he is greedy
  5. The same observers believe he will stop his mismanagement as a GM if he ever took a big enough hit in his wallet
Hopefully, my OP gets the reader to stop-and-consider a scenario of Jones not as a GM he has been for nearly three decades. Basically, to stop-and-remember who he was and his impact on football management before his divorce with Johnson.

Anyone like myself did not give a rat's behind about Jones when he was essentially just an owner. The problems started after he installed himself permanently as a GM.

His motivation for being the GM was and is not about how much money he makes or loses. That motivation comes from his owner mentality, just like any business owner. Making money has nothing to do with his desire to be and continue being the GM.

Despite this, some people have always thought putting the squeeze on Jones' wealth machine would force him to remove himself as GM and hopefully do the same with his kids--or just Stephen at the very least. That approach has a logical chance of being successful if two factors existed:
  1. Jones casually thought of himself as a GM
  2. The negative impact of heavy financial losses would significantly devalue his net worth
Well, Jones does not casually see himself as a general manager. His self-image is a GM, who was the primary orchestrator for Dallas winning three Super Bowls in less than a decade. That is quite a feat that you, others and I understand is not reality. Jones thinks it is true though. His death grip on the GM position has zero to do with how many butts he can put into AT&T Stadium seats. It has everything to do with his narcissism that self-validates himself as the most qualified person to do the job. Yes, he has contradicted himself in the past in that regard. Narcissists do that too.

However, let's put that aside for a moment and consider the greed argument for a moment. Instead, let's focus on a worst case, money making scenario for Jones the owner. Let's say team jersey sales decrease by... 20%? Ticket sales by 35%? 50% of his sponsors dropping him like a hot rock? Concession sales drop by 60%? Do the same to every single one of his NFL revenue streams outside of what the league splits from television broadcast rights contracts that football consumers cannot directly prevent without nationwide organized disruption.

Strip all that away and Jones is still a multi-billionaire in real estate holdings alone. Forget property super-wealth. Jones is a multi-billionaire outside everything to do with what he built that is connected with the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL.

So, according to some, Jones the owner will have a mental sit down with Jones the GM inside his Cryptkeeper skull and say, "This is too much pressure. I can't take it. *sob* I'm too greedy. These financial loses are humongous. You, GM Jones, are the weakest link. Goodbye."

That ain't happening. Heck. He does not even see anything he does as GM as a problem with making or losing money to begin with. Even so, what does some people keep saying is the main problem with Jones the GM?

Answer: "He's greedy."

The problem with Jones as GM has never been how fat he can make his wallet. The problem has always squatted between his ears.

/early morning super rant
Very well done.

I've tried to tell people this repeatedly, but it goes right over their heads. At the top of Jerry's wish list is self aggrandizement. It's all about him. Jerry would trade a super bowl victory for people thinking highly of him. Very tough to understand, I get that, but that's what makes him go.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very well done.

I've tried to tell people this repeatedly, but it goes right over their heads. At the top of Jerry's wish list is self aggrandizement. It's all about him. Jerry would trade a super bowl victory for people thinking highly of him. Very tough to understand, I get that, but that's what makes him go.
I mostly agree BUT I think even Jones, of all people, would haggle if an actual Super Bowl victory might be forfeited in that scenario. :muttley:

kskboys

Reaction score
I mostly agree BUT I think even Jones, of all people, would haggle if an actual Super Bowl victory might be forfeited in that scenario. :muttley:
IDK, man, Jerry himself has stated publicly that "I'd have been fired as GM by any other franchise". Which means he knows he's doing a bad job. So, if he knows he's bad but insists on doing it anyway, that means winning isn't his driving force. I'm not sure he'd accept a super bowl w/o credit. Maybe that's changed since he did hire Jimmy back!!!

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score

Jerry wants it all. The control and the money.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IDK, man, Jerry himself has stated publicly that "I'd have been fired as GM by any other franchise". Which means he knows he's doing a bad job. So, if he knows he's bad but insists on doing it anyway, that means winning isn't his driving force. I'm not sure he'd accept a super bowl w/o credit. Maybe that's changed since he did hire Jimmy back!!!
Bold> that is a narcissist response. Say something. Attract observer sympathy. Deflect. Create a, "Wait-and-see. I will prove you wrong in the end. I am the best person to eventually fix any problem."

An outside observer could evaluate his GM performance similar to an NFL owner and would have also fired Jones. Jones may have graded himself poorly but does he always contribute all blame to himself? Or did he think most or all of his GM moves were good enough and others (e.g. coaches, players, etc.) were the weak links instead? Questions to consider when also recognizing the man's GM performance has continued being spotty since he said that but he has never self-terminated his position afterwards.

Narcissists deflect from what they actually think. George Teague recently explained Jones' 'All in' statement as poker and not a lie. That is a good assessment but an incomplete one. Jones told a half-truth. He knew the majority of listeners would comprehend him saying 'all in' as him being aggressive in free agency. He knew most would not think he was only focusing on securing core roster players contractually.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry wants it all. The control and the money.
If 'control' means totally unnecessary self-glorification as an NFL GM, I agree.

It is a personal want but not a personal need. He has not been needed as a GM in any capacity since 2002 at the latest. Yet, it is 2024. He has amassed enormous super wealth and could have it all--the glory of being an NFL owner holding more Lombardi trophies--but without any involvement in football management. That is textbook selfishness. That's Jerry Jones.

kskboys

Reaction score

In Dallas, there is no difference.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bold> that is a narcissist response. Say something. Attract observer sympathy. Deflect. Create a, "Wait-and-see. I will prove you wrong in the end. I am the best person to eventually fix any problem."

An outside observer could evaluate his GM performance similar to an NFL owner and would have also fired Jones. Jones may have graded himself poorly but does he always contribute all blame to himself? Or did he think most or all of his GM moves were good enough and others (e.g. coaches, players, etc.) were the weak links instead? Questions to consider when also recognizing the man's GM performance has continued being spotty since he said that but he has never self-terminated his position afterwards.

Narcissists deflect from what they actually think. George Teague recently explained Jones' 'All in' statement as poker and not a lie. That is a good assessment but an incomplete one. Jones told a half-truth. He knew the majority of listeners would comprehend him saying 'all in' as him being aggressive in free agency. He knew most would not think he was only focusing on securing core roster players contractually.
I actually think it's much more simple. I think he claimed the "all in" thingie simply to keep fans interested.

Good stuff, BTW. Jerry Jones is definitely a fascinating psychological case study.