How's our draft position looking?

Verdict

Reaction score
The difference in winning or losing the last game of the year might be a second or third round pick, or more. We could easily trade down from the 4th or 5th overall pick to around 10 or 11is and pick up a second or third round pick as compensation. That fills two holes instead of one ..... and that just considers the first round pick. That option exists in every round. Let that sink in for a minute.......

Wood

Reaction score
lol Can we keep a top 5 draft pick? Too bad SF lost to Detriot. I was hoping they won.

keep the tank rolling.

If Dallas wins against skins (which I think they will):

1. TEN 3-13 (plays at Indy) (SOS .492)
2. CLE 3-13 (home against Steelers) (SOS .534)
3. SD 4-12 (at Denver) (SOS .523)
4. Miami 5-11 (home against NE) (SOS .449)
5. Jacksonville 5-11 (at Houston) (SOS .469)
6. Dallas 5-11 (home against Commanders) (SOS .538)
7. San Fran 5-11 (at home against Rams) (SOS .552)

If Dallas loses against skins (unlikely but possible):

1. TEN 3-13 (plays at Indy) (SOS .492)
2. CLE 3-13 (home against Steelers) (SOS .534)
3. SD 4-12 (at Denver) (SOS .523)
4. Dallas 4-12 (home against Commanders) (SOS .538)
5. Miami 5-11 (home against NE) (SOS .449)
6. Jacksonville 5-11 (at Houston) (SOS .469)
7. Dallas 5-11 (home against Commanders) (SOS .538)
8. San Fran 5-11 (at home against Rams) (SOS .552)

Last edited:

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Stop thinking like Jerry. We are not 1 player away. That thinking has kept us floundering in mediocrity for 2 decades. Trading out of 1st rounds, sending multiple picks for receivers, reaching for DE's. Get a QB and get him ready as Romo may not have another full season in him.

Problem is first round qbs are far from guaranteed players. What if you groom a qb for a couple years and he ends up being a Weeden or Geno Smith or Ponder? And we miss the opportunity to get. JJ Watt or Wagner type player?

I don't envy the scouts in this draft. They have to be 100% right, or it could set us back years

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
Problem is first round qbs are far from guaranteed players. What if you groom a qb for a couple years and he ends up being a Weeden or Geno Smith or Ponder? And we miss the opportunity to get. JJ Watt or Wagner type player?

I don't envy the scouts in this draft. They have to be 100% right, or it could set us back years

It's not like they will get fired if they're wrong, so don't worry about it.

SDCowboy

Reaction score

No pick is guaranteed. But this is about as perfect as a time as there could be to draft Romo's eventual heir. We have a ridiculously high pick, which hopefully doesn't happen too often, and he can sit behind Romo for a season or two. IMO, it's set up too perfectly to not draft a QB with this pick.

reddyuta

Reaction score

well they have been right in the first RD a lot recently except Mo .

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The difference in winning or losing the last game of the year might be a second or third round pick, or more. We could easily trade down from the 4th or 5th overall pick to around 10 or 11is and pick up a second or third round pick as compensation. That fills two holes instead of one ..... and that just considers the first round pick. That option exists in every round. Let that sink in for a minute.......

They are now guaranteed a top 8 pick. I'm ok with that.

***Based on Wood's post above, we are locked in to the 4-6 range.***

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
No pick is guaranteed. But this is about as perfect as a time as there could be to draft Romo's eventual heir. We have a ridiculously high pick, which hopefully doesn't happen too often, and he can sit behind Romo for a season or two. IMO, it's set up too perfectly to not draft a QB with this pick.

I agree. Only if the scouts see potential in Goff or Lynch. Don't draft a qb just cause you think you need one.

I think it's a win win for fans... Either we get our future qb to salvage a horrible season, or we get the best players left if they're gone by the time we pick.

Now watch us go off the board.....

superonyx

Reaction score
Lynch is the pick.

He may be however he would be nothing more than an insurance policy for the next 3 years.
An insurance policy I hope we don't have to cash.
Are we good enough to pass on players that could start day 1 for a backup that we prey we don't need to use for 3 years?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Not really the case anymore with the slotting system. If, when they get all the grades in there is no qb worthy of a 1 then use a 2. If you miss try again next year. Ideally there will be one worthy of a top 5 pick. And you hope you're not drafting this high again.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
He may be however he would be nothing more than an insurance policy for the next 3 years.
An insurance policy I hope we don't have to cash.
Are we good enough to pass on players that could start day 1 for a backup that we prey we don't need to use for 3 years?

The Cowboys with Romo will not ever pick in the top 5 so if you believe he's here for 3 years you get the best QB in this draft and make a seamless transition. I really wouldn't be upset with any pick between Lynch, Goff, Hargreaves, Ramsey or Jaylon Smith, but you need to keep in mind Romo's time is coming near and at some point we have got to bite the bullet with this QB situation.