I’d trade for Stafford in a heart beat

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Is trading two first round picks for Joey Galloway stupid? A first and a third for Roy Williams? This is a QB league and teams are starved for them. He wants out of Detroit it’s not the other way around. Point is there have been far worse trades then a team given up a first for Stafford.

It was one too many first round picks for Galloway. He was in the prime of his career and we needed a receiver so it made at least some sense. Trading a first round pick for a 32 year old QB on the downside of their career during a strong year for QBs in the draft doesn’t make any sense in my opinion.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The worst part about the cowboys talent evaluation process is once they like a guy they refuse to explore other options. Stafford will count 33 against the cap, not sure how trading for him affects the cap. But a smart team would put the transition on dak, and start having conversations with other teams, etc. I'd rather pay dalton 20 than trade for stafford. But by doing this you might force dak to sign the offer we have him. He's gotta know changing teams affects the 50 million in endorsements he has. Rogers and freaking tom brady only make about 15 each. Daks worth is because he's a cowboy. He would be pretty dumb to leave this offense for a few extra million on his contract.

Kwyn

Reaction score
He’s 33 but still more talented than dak. He has a top 4 arm. He’s locked up for two years. He’d make less than dak will make in one year. He’d fully utilize cooper and lamb. I hope Jerry does it. He’d upgrade and save money.
Disagree.

You’d trade #10 and bring on a QB who has his best years behind him just to save a few bucks?

No thanks

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Moore is far more innovative than garrett. I have a lot of faith in Moore. Jmo
there is the word again. potential. Garrett had potential.

with that said. Moore may some day be that "OC", but right now he is not. he maybe more innovative than garrett, but he made a lot, a lot of mistakes last year and he made a lot of mistakes this year...he is only a 2nd year OC in this league. NFL chews coaches in and out like nobody's business.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I said hes not signed because his owner feels the same daks not a 40million dollar guy and mahomes deal isnt 50 i know this because he was 5year first round contract and signed after 3and ? he still already a two time MVP, a SB winner and been to going on 3 Championship games in a row ..that why theres no hesitation by his owners..

let me know when we can add daks accomplishments in the same conversation because we can NOT without laughing..im ROTFLMAO right now you tired to do so..
like I said, fans stick to one side or other on the numbers.....cap hit is something different....

and Dak is not mahomes, not sure why the dak detractors get all bent out of shape when they here mahomes or rodgers or brees or brady...their first reaction is that you are comparing and they list accomlishments...

all I said was that although Mahomes got a 10 year 50 M, his cap hit is not 50. its actually less. so is Watson's.....I assume Dak's contract will be similar to watson's.....

and Mahomes got a contract, before his rookie contract ended, he got a whole bunch of money up front.....slightly different situation than when your contract has run out...different type of negotiation.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's not hate though in reality.
As someone mentioned, it's about value. Dalton was what $2 million last season whereas Prescott was over $31 million. When Dalton had reasonable protection from the third string offensive line the offense was fine, it wasn't the problem.
Stafford would be an upgrade over Dalton and his contract is reasonable over the next two years whilst we can draft and groom a QB to ride his rookie contract.
But the front office will likely sign Prescott to a huge deal coming off a serious foot injury - it would pretty much tie in with other brainless decisions by them.
Dalton sucked. he beat three bottom feeding teams, with lots of injuries....playing against their back up QBs, needing 9 turnovers to do it....when going against the likes of WFT or AZ and even giants. he folded like the cheap walmart chair that he is...

now, if you want to go with Dalton...then great, lets start the tanking process and go for that top draft pick.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Look at the result you can get with Stafford and the amount it will cost you vs Dak. Plus Stafford is just a better qb. Better arm, more accurate. He is a great talent stuck on a crap team for over a decade.
stafford by all measures you all use is not anywhere close to Dak. he is 70-90 in his career. he is 7-52 against teams with a winning record. he is 0-3 in the playoffs. he is 33. now injured. none of his stats compare... he may have had talent at some point, but he is one of the absolute most over rated QBs in the past 10 years.

blueblood70

Reaction score
like I said, fans stick to one side or other on the numbers.....cap hit is something different....

and Dak is not mahomes, not sure why the dak detractors get all bent out of shape when they here mahomes or rodgers or brees or brady...their first reaction is that you are comparing and they list accomlishments...

all I said was that although Mahomes got a 10 year 50 M, his cap hit is not 50. its actually less. so is Watson's.....I assume Dak's contract will be similar to watson's.....

and Mahomes got a contract, before his rookie contract ended, he got a whole bunch of money up front.....slightly different situation than when your contract has run out...different type of negotiation.

i dont think watson or dak should get paid that much and now he wants out,
not picking on dak but no non elite qb should get over 35 dont care about the stupid market ******** owners keep upping over bad deals..they are raising the bid on themselves with bad contracts.

needs to peak and go back down as these tier 2 guys are not meeting their expectations..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We aren't winning with a SB with Dak, so I'm fine with not signing him. BUT, you maybe have a two-year window with Stafford. Does this team look remotely close to winning a SB on the whole? Yeah, we are good at WR and TE, but then what do we have? If we botch the draft, we are in for a long ride, and Stafford ain't saving us any more than Dalton did. Better off grooming some young QB and if you have to lose, lose cheap and ride out a couple of these awful contracts.
so we are not winning with Dak...oookkk...but you think we have a two year window with Stafford!!! a 33 years old almost has been with an 0-3 playoff record and 70-90 career record and now injured two years in a row, with back injuries...

I rather just put all the talent on fire sale, go with dalton and shoot for that top pick....that would be a better more reasonable plan

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
i dont think watson or dak should get paid that much and now he wants out,
not picking on dak but no non elite qb should get over 35 dont care about the stupid market ******** owners keep upping over bad deals..they are raising the bid on themselves with bad contracts.

needs to peak and go back down as these tier 2 guys are not meeting their expectations..
what you think, or anyone else thinks on this board is totally irrelevant to the market value of top 10 QBs....the market, NFL sets that price...and Watson got a 40M/year contract.....next QBs, being Wilson, etc. will get close to 50.....mahomes will probably get redone and he will get close to 60 about 4-5 years from now...

the market is what the market is....and the market will self correct when time comes.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Two problems with your proposal is the Cowboys would have to give up the 10th pick for Stafford because teams like the Colts will offer the 20th pick for him. Maybe he could tell the Lions he wants to be a Cowboy and they would settle for a second and conditional pick in the future because he is a Texas boy.

The second issue is the reason the Cowboys would never let Dak go. The players are 100% behind Dak. They chose him over Romo in 2016 and went into shock when he was injured against the Giants. You would literally lose the team if another quarterback is our starter next season.
if we give up our 10th pick for Stafford, then we are the absolute most stupid team in the NFL history...

blueblood70

Reaction score
what you think, or anyone else thinks on this board is totally irrelevant to the market value of top 10 QBs....the market, NFL sets that price...and Watson got a 40M/year contract.....next QBs, being Wilson, etc. will get close to 50.....mahomes will probably get redone and he will get close to 60 about 4-5 years from now...

the market is what the market is....and the market will self correct when time comes.....
market trends go up and down like stocks, costs of goods and services like gas etc..the owners created false market along time ago with rookie qb deals and fixed that and this one can also peak and go down.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is trading two first round picks for Joey Galloway stupid? A first and a third for Roy Williams? This is a QB league and teams are starved for them. He wants out of Detroit it’s not the other way around. Point is there have been far worse trades then a team given up a first for Stafford.
yes and yes. both of those were stupid. I screamed when both happened...in fact there were rumors that coaches didn't want roy williams, but Jerry played fantasy football and as the GM made the stupid trade....

JonesBoys

Reaction score
It was one too many first round picks for Galloway. He was in the prime of his career and we needed a receiver so it made at least some sense. Trading a first round pick for a 32 year old QB on the downside of their career during a strong year for QBs in the draft doesn’t make any sense in my opinion.

My point is there have been many bad trades in the NFL and it was said Stanford would be released outright which will never happen. And the Galloway point was Jerry did trade 2 first round picks for a very good receiver not the best but a very good receiver. One of the worst trades ever.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
market trends go up and down like stocks, costs of goods and services like gas etc..the owners created false market along time ago with rookie qb deals and fixed that and this one can also peak and go down.
but, again market is what it is....if it was a commodity of sorts, you would have a choice not to purchase......but its a market of 32 teams, with 32 owners and they create this mess, and they will learn and adjust....

basel90

Reaction score
He’s 33 but still more talented than dak. He has a top 4 arm. He’s locked up for two years. He’d make less than dak will make in one year. He’d fully utilize cooper and lamb. I hope Jerry does it. He’d upgrade and save money.
That would be the smart and forward thinking thing to do . Get a very affordable accurate texas kid into the team , draft a 2-4 round upcoming talent to groom . Use the savings to fix the D answer OL . Stanford is very accurate , way more than Dak .

Cowfan75

Reaction score
so we are not winning with Dak...oookkk...but you think we have a two year window with Stafford!!! a 33 years old almost has been with an 0-3 playoff record and 70-90 career record and now injured two years in a row, with back injuries...

I rather just put all the talent on fire sale, go with dalton and shoot for that top pick....that would be a better more reasonable plan

Try reading my post again and then tell me if it sounded like I was pro-Stafford....