I am boycotting NFL for three games this season

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The NFL has had a 20% ratings drop the last 2 years.......that is a ton of people walking away one at a time

It makes a big difference

That 20% number is as phony as the extra gunman in the grassy knoll. The real drop has been 4% - 5% which is what the networks and Nielson ratings have said. Now as for the real or even your perceived percentage, the league has stated that about 99% of those lost viewers were casual fans that didn't watch games every week to start out with. The league plans for in their business planning for an influx in viewers EVERY YEAR to account for those casual fans that may not watch games every week. Last season a college professor said the chances of a mass stoppage of real NFL fans watching the NFL was like if an author wrote something he didn't like and he said he was not going to read another book again.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That 20% number is as phony as the extra gunman in the grassy knoll. The real drop has been 4% - 5% which is what the networks and Nielson ratings have said. Now as for the real or even your perceived percentage, the league has stated that about 99% of those lost viewers were casual fans that didn't watch games every week to start out with. The league plans for in their business planning for an influx in viewers EVERY YEAR to account for those casual fans that may not watch games every week. Last season a college professor said the chances of a mass stoppage of real NFL fans watching the NFL was like if an author wrote something he didn't like and he said he was not going to read another book again.
That just isn't true.....the 20% drop is real...... boycotts, commercials, cost, concussions, replay are taking a major toll....... kids are playing soccer and lacrosse

I know dozens of people that have walked away for good.......people my age(45) and older are done with it

These were die hard Ravens season ticket holders and rabid Giants fans

The Commanders waiting list is gone......it used to be 30 years for tickets

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That's kind of unfair. We are all Cowboy fans and approach things differently. Some have a stronger passion about certain things than others. I disavowed the Cowboys when JJ fired Tom Landry. One fine Sunday afternoon, I was going to see a movie and noticed the parking lot was sparse. I commented and someone said "Oh the Cowboys are playing in the Super Bowl" and my sorry butt came crawling back to the Star. I haven't left since. To me, the three game hold out is more than I'm willing to pay. I'm not hurting Goodell, just myself but I admire someone that is willing to take a stand.

I don't have a problem with taking a stand. It's the hope he had that others would join him and that he would be starting some movement that I found laughable. You're just not going to get more than a tiny percentage of 1 percent of real fans to give up watching games because someone else has problems with some league punishment decisions.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That just isn't true.....the 20% drop is real...... boycotts, commercials, cost, concussions, replay are taking a major toll....... kids are playing soccer and lacrosse

I know dozens of people that have walked away for good.......people my age(45) and older are done with it

These were die hard Ravens season ticket holders and rabid Giants fans

The Commanders waiting list is gone......it used to be 30 years for tickets

Unlike you conspiracy theorists with your made up 20%, the networks and large companies that pay for ad time during games use professional companies like Nielson Ratings to provide them with actual viewership numbers.not guessed numbers started by some sportswriter looking for clicks on his articles. Again, the boycotts are done by 99% casual fans who didn't watch games every week prior anyways. No big loss. I will agree that the costs of actually going to games is skyrocketing and it's becoming a luxury that only the rich can afford, but that in no way means or implies that those that can no longer afford those costs have stopped WATCHING games on TV because their budget no long includes going to the games. Only a simpleton would make that kind of assertion. Here's the other flaw with your argument. Taking away the cost factor, the only team that sell all their seats as season tickets is the peckers. All other teams have tickets that go on sale to the general public for individual or a group of 2 or 4 games. So now only the rich now can afford season tickets but general ticket sales continue. Here's another something you probably forgot about with your conspiracy 20% numbers, and that's the cities where there has always been sellouts last year they still had sellouts and the games were seen on the local channels. If that 20% number was anywhere close to being correct none of the games would have been aired locally because there wouldn't have been any sellouts.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Unlike you conspiracy theorists with your made up 20%, the networks and large companies that pay for ad time during games use professional companies like Nielson Ratings to provide them with actual viewership numbers.not guessed numbers started by some sportswriter looking for clicks on his articles. Again, the boycotts are done by 99% casual fans who didn't watch games every week prior anyways. No big loss. I will agree that the costs of actually going to games is skyrocketing and it's becoming a luxury that only the rich can afford, but that in no way means or implies that those that can no longer afford those costs have stopped WATCHING games on TV because their budget no long includes going to the games. Only a simpleton would make that kind of assertion. Here's the other flaw with your argument. Taking away the cost factor, the only team that sell all their seats as season tickets is the peckers. All other teams have tickets that go on sale to the general public for individual or a group of 2 or 4 games. So now only the rich now can afford season tickets but general ticket sales continue. Here's another something you probably forgot about with your conspiracy 20% numbers, and that's the cities where there has always been sellouts last year they still had sellouts and the games were seen on the local channels. If that 20% number was anywhere close to being correct none of the games would have been aired locally because there wouldn't have been any sellouts.
You guys crack me up

You get so defensive like it is your network or something

It is no conspiracy.....the ratings are dropping.....wait til they start ejecting guys for helmet hits.... they have already effectively eliminated Kickoff Returns..... you can't bubble wrap the sport

Plus is has been diluted and overexposed......more London games on Yahoo or Amazon is not the answer

HungryLion

Reaction score
People can and do get fired for behaviors or comments outside the workplace that are deemed racist and sexist, or really for any behavior the company may deem damaging to its image. This isn't unique to the NFL, and in fact, in some cases the NFL may be more favorable to employees in that it suspends and fines rather than just fire.

That’s the social media age though. Obviously people are dumb enough to do and say things while
Being video taped and the company finds about about it through Facebook or twitter.

I’m moreso referring to the fact that employers don’t spend millions of dollars doing their own investigations into behavior that isn’t clear cut (like the Zeke case). And many employers, like mine for instance, can only discipline you IF you are convicted of a crime, per company policy. Obviously every company is differen, but what im saying is, unless you’re caught red handed or convicted, most companies aren’t spending millions to privately investigate their employees lives’ outside of the Work place.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You guys crack me up

You get so defensive like it is your network or something

It is no conspiracy.....the ratings are dropping.....wait til they start ejecting guys for helmet hits.... they have already effectively eliminated Kickoff Returns..... you can't bubble wrap the sport

Plus is has been diluted and overexposed......more London games on Yahoo or Amazon is not the answer

Again, your inflated ratings drop is 99% casual fans who have never watched games every week even before the whole kneeling issue. As far as London games, they are trying to see if a England team is really viable. The competition committee has already leaked that there are just to many logistical barriers to over come that would make it unfair for the other 32 teams. The league has already gotten some push back from their major sponsors as well as several owners. For now they will just go with 2 or 3 games there each season and I think that will end soon because that is one thing that the ratings here in this country have dropped according to Nielson except for the markets for the teams playing. No I don't like all of the changes the past couple of years but I still watch every Sunday, Monday and Thursday nights. If you have such a huge problem with the way the league is now, stop watching and then there would be no need to come here and whine about it either.

Ren

Reaction score
I'll boycott all 16 of the Browns games, take that NFL!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That’s the social media age though. Obviously people are dumb enough to do and say things while
Being video taped and the company finds about about it through Facebook or twitter.

I’m moreso referring to the fact that employers don’t spend millions of dollars doing their own investigations into behavior that isn’t clear cut (like the Zeke case). And many employers, like mine for instance, can only discipline you IF you are convicted of a crime, per company policy. Obviously every company is differen, but what im saying is, unless you’re caught red handed or convicted, most companies aren’t spending millions to privately investigate their employees lives’ outside of the Work place.

Most companies also have as one of their policies that if an employee puts the company in bad light or put it in a position where they are getting questions asked to them the employee doesn't need to be arrested to get fired.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The NFL like any other business allows for a small percentage of influx during time periods, the NFL is each week for their games. With the tens of millions that watch NFL football the loss of you and a very tiny percent of 1% of those tens of millions of viewers that may join you will mean nothing to the NFL or any of their sponsors. You may think you're doing something and that it may in some way hurt the NFL and their sponsors but in reality it won't mean anything to anyone except you. So if and I use that big word literally, if you're really a Cowboys fan and choosing not to watch 3 of their games because of something that only matters to you makes one question if you really are a Cowboys fan.
I am a cowboy fan and if there is enough of fans boycott, then it will make an impact. this is not just about the cowboys. there are fans of other teams that also get impacted by NFL seemingly irregular punishment of players, without a system of checks and balances..

and you assumed I wouldn't watch Cowboys games. I am a football fan and I watch other games too, so I could/would boycott these other games.

seemingly you have no fight in you and have thrown in the towel. which explains you personality.

I question your loyalty to cowboys willing to lay down without a fight. bandwagon fan perhaps.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And "they" will continue existing because "they are the king of the hill".

No worries. I'm 100% possitive they all say the same about you.
and they are worried since their ratings have continuously gone down over the past two years...… which means they depend on the fans. you may feel insignificant, but I don't.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I am a cowboy fan and if there is enough of fans boycott, then it will make an impact. this is not just about the cowboys. there are fans of other teams that also get impacted by NFL seemingly irregular punishment of players, without a system of checks and balances..

and you assumed I wouldn't watch Cowboys games. I am a football fan and I watch other games too, so I could/would boycott these other games.

seemingly you have no fight in you and have thrown in the towel. which explains you personality.

I question your loyalty to cowboys willing to lay down without a fight. bandwagon fan perhaps.

What you don't get is your big crusade and anyone that may join in that reads this is such a microscopic tiny tiny tiny tiny percent of 1% of all Cowboys fans world wide that your little boycott won't even be felt by the Cowboys or the league. They wouldn't even know about it unless someone told them about your big crusade. You have some really strange ideas of what a loyal fan is. Some who doesn't part take in a microscopic boycott against the team he is a fan of isn't loyal to the Cowboys but someone that wants to boycott the Cowboys is a loyal Cowboys fan? I think you have a real HUGE need to look up the word loyalty understand it's definition.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
and they are worried since their ratings have continuously gone down over the past two years...… which means they depend on the fans. you may feel insignificant, but I don't.

You and others keep saying they in reference to the league are worried about ratings dropping but the league hasn't said anything about that, only some here who think there's a big drop. The "big" drop is casual fans that have never been the fans that watched NFL games every week. These fans are the fans that will go golfing when the team in their market is playing. But when with a group of friends they watch and act like they are big fans even though when by themselves they often find other things to do rather than watching the game. These casual fans the league couldn't care less about but people like you want to use those casual fans as the basis for that "big" drop in viewership. I'm beginning to think that those that are trying to push this "big" drop in viewership are just casual fans themselves and that's why they keep pushing those false numbers.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What you don't get is your big crusade and anyone that may join in that reads this is such a microscopic tiny tiny tiny tiny percent of 1% of all Cowboys fans world wide that your little boycott won't even be felt by the Cowboys or the league. They wouldn't even know about it unless someone told them about your big crusade. You have some really strange ideas of what a loyal fan is. Some who doesn't part take in a microscopic boycott against the team he is a fan of isn't loyal to the Cowboys but someone that wants to boycott the Cowboys is a loyal Cowboys fan? I think you have a real HUGE need to look up the word loyalty understand it's definition.
thank you for the word of encouragement. just make sure you don't take on any job in the education field.

and I suppose those few players who took a knee during anthem were meaningless and their efforts was not fruitful. You need to understand loyalty much more than anyone on this board. you are the definition of an NFL puppet..... and deservingly so

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You and others keep saying they in reference to the league are worried about ratings dropping but the league hasn't said anything about that, only some here who think there's a big drop. The "big" drop is casual fans that have never been the fans that watched NFL games every week. These fans are the fans that will go golfing when the team in their market is playing. But when with a group of friends they watch and act like they are big fans even though when by themselves they often find other things to do rather than watching the game. These casual fans the league couldn't care less about but people like you want to use those casual fans as the basis for that "big" drop in viewership. I'm beginning to think that those that are trying to push this "big" drop in viewership are just casual fans themselves and that's why they keep pushing those false numbers.
so your expectations (non realistic to say the list) is for the league to come out and talk about the league losing some popularity and their ratings dropping. that's idiotic. what world do you live in? and of course there is a core group of fans. they never leave. they are addicted. and NFL grows with those fringe fans and ratings grew because of those fringe fans and the ratings drop because of those fringe fans. and if you think the league doesn't care about those fans, then you haven't been paying attention. they changed rules making the league more offensive oriented and more scores, to draw those fringe fans. you must be a young new fan of NFL. go read a little history of how the league has changed over the past 20 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely..Great point!!

I totally salute your Boycott. Most fans do complain but take no action. If more fans did the league and teams would be held more accountable.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Most companies also have as one of their policies that if an employee puts the company in bad light or put it in a position where they are getting questions asked to them the employee doesn't need to be arrested to get fired.

That’s true.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
thank you for the word of encouragement. just make sure you don't take on any job in the education field.

and I suppose those few players who took a knee during anthem were meaningless and their efforts was not fruitful. You need to understand loyalty much more than anyone on this board. you are the definition of an NFL puppet..... and deservingly so

Ye of little brain power. Just were did I say I anything for or against those players who have kneeled? I will tell you though. I've been 10,000% against those disrespecting unpatriotic SOB's and have said so many many many times. As far as they doing much? The biggest thing they have done is cause disagreements on boards like this. They haven't changed anything because according to most polls the hugely vast majority of people are against them using that venue to air their complaints and until they chose some other venue they will just disregard their cause.

Now lets go on to you and your obvious lack of understanding the simplest of ideas and concepts. Because I choose not to be a hypocrite and boycott some games because I don't like some of the things the LEAGUE as done but still have a favorite team who didn't make those changes so I will watch their games. Hey simpleton let me get this straight. You have a problem with some things the LEAGUE has done and your response is to boycott some Cowboys games who aren't the ones that made those changes in the league. And you say I need to understand loyalty? I'm beginning to think you're still in grade school because of your complete lack of understanding simple things like loyalty.