I changed my mind on Linehan

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You cant keep running into a brick wall when your not making progress.

4.6 ypc

That's good for a game, let alone the first 15 carries. We've had games where Murray and Zeke started slow, we got behind, we kept feeding them, and we won.

4th pick in the draft. 4th round draft pick. Who should we feed?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Any plan that doesn't involve your best player more involved is a failure. Why is the focal point Dak and substandard TEs and average WRs and not on one of the best RBs in the NFL. There's no question that Dak has to play better, but how about getting the ball in Zeke's hands. What happened to trying to get Tavon, the fastest guy on the field, some touches? No doubt, Dak is a big part of the problem, but the coaching staff's plan was flawed to begin with. The coaching staff did a poor job of getting our playmakers involved. Instead of getting Zeke or Tavon touches,
we relied on getting the ball to our jag TEs and WRs.
Dak is a problem but the gameplan and playcalling, OL play, execution were all problems. There were multiple problems and while the QB is the most visible, every offensive player and coach had a hand in making that pile of shinola.

I don't think it's fair to refer to our TE's and WRs as jags.
They're supposed to get open and that's what they did, but Dak didn't deliver!
If Dak hit's 'em on the numbers and they start dropping passes, that's jag. But as far as I could see in that film, the receivers did their jobs,
and Dak was the jag.

Hadenough

Reaction score
4.6 ypc

That's good for a game, let alone the first 15 carries. We've had games where Murray and Zeke started slow, we got behind, we kept feeding them, and we won.

4th pick in the draft. 4th round draft pick. Who should we feed?
Negative runs and penalties negated the run game also. The Panthers defense hasnt given up a 100 yds rushing to any RB the last 21 games. And they face some good RBs in their division. 3rd and 17 and they hand the ball to Zeke and let him get 10 yds as long as he doesnt get a first down they dont care. That will do wonders to the stat line.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
In basketball it’s called squaring up to the basket. In football I’m guessing it’s footwork, but specifically, Dak’s accuracy issue is at least somewhat related to his foot placement before he’s set and when he’s set to throw. He runs with them slightly pointed out as well so I’m not sure it’s fixable.

Compare Brady(picture perfect form) before the the throw and Dak. That should be every qb’s goal. To have perfect form. Yes. You can throw accurately without it. It’s just much harder and takes longer to master.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One thing I'd like to emphasize, in addition to what you wrote, is that NFL athletes move FAST. and while it's easy to point out that a guy might have separation or a running at a certain point in time, they're ignoring the fact that defenders will react to the play if you actually try to make it.

Fast players move at more than 10 yards per second. Top speed of throws is around 30 yards per second, which is the upper limit when throwing for speed at the combine. That doesn't include QB release times, which are at least 0.3 seconds, usually more.

At least a 35 yard pass. Defender at less than 10 yards. Defender wins that race. It's not even close when you count release time.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I did not buy Dak hype even in his first year.He benefited tremendously from good players around him.

aria

Reaction score
You can roll your eyes, but most of that is true.

It's up to the coaches to make the most of what we have, not put together a game plan that would work if we had other players.
You mean like a high school QB that can complete 5-10 yard throws?

Number1

Reaction score
Not sure how Dak recovers from this. He simply is not throwing to guys who are open for 10-20 yards. He literally had 2 EASY TD's sitting there that he muffed. One was a 60+ yarder to Jarwin the other a 50+ yarder to TWill. Dang.

Watch this expose on Dak. Be prepared to be sick.

It's Dak's touch that bothers me, not his decision making. Scott radically changed what Dak does best, work through timing pattern progressions. Give Dak his due, working through pre and post snap reads, not panicking, and not making dumb throws is what made him. In a miserable performance he still had a decent comp rate and no INTs. BTW, it's hard to get sacked 6 times and not get picked while being asked to put square peggs in round holes ... let's not kick the kid to the curb just yet.

I think we saw their attempt to play w/o a so-called #1 WR as they talked of all off season, I really thought that meant multiple WRs playing X.
nope, weird stuff that looked like WCO fixed progressions. More over tweak.

plays highlighted in that video to Darwin and Hurns are all perfect examples, in all 4 of those plays they were the last read, normally they would have been the 1st or 2nd read, based on coverage. Dak looked to them late by design as protection was collapsing.

Go watch the tape again and notice the hot WR is not usually his 1st read. That is odd and exactly the type of stuff that had Beasley and Dez ticked off last year.
Dez is right about Scott ... "it don't make sense". And I've never heard any player compliment Scott.

Now we hear people crying Dak's scared to gun a 15 yard pass. Please. We have all seen Dak hit those same patterns with Witten, Dez, Williams, Lucky, and Butler.

The only patterns that worked Sunday were true timing patterns, mostly slants. Where were the 20 snaps 10 touches to Austin? they bring in Gallup, Austin, and Thompson and don't run a fly or skinny post or hitch and go, no play action deep. Huh? against 8 in the box - it don't make sense.
That's not what we've seen from JG as QB / OC / HC until last season.

The one thought that really hit me - Norv Turner would have won this game easily calling plays for the Boys. IMO, so would Jason. They can fix this by just going back to core passing system. Dak's touch and the protection are also huge issues, but get back to normal progressions or expect few big plays

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You cant keep running into a brick wall when your not making progress. Every keeps saying we didnt hand the ball off to Zeke enough. This team couldnt because when they did the team went 3 plays and punted. The defense was fighting their tails off and they decided to go into pass mode which would of opened up the run game had Dak been able complete the passes. Teams are basically saying were gonna stuff zeke and MAKE you throw!

Yes and that film shows exactly why.
What I still don't understand is he didn't look like that in 2016, and it's not just the pressure, he had pressure in 2016 and he dealt with it!
But now he's a completely different QB. And I'm not buying the line that they schemed against him, that film shows open receivers and he had time to hit 'em, some he saw and jus didn't throw it, and some he never saw. But that's not the same as it was in 2016.
What did they DO to this kid?

Blake

Reaction score
We'd all be saying, "Rico who?!" if Dak had completed some those missed opportunities to Jarwin.

Blake

Reaction score
His video doesn't take into account the progressions and hot reads that Dak is responsible for. There is no way to know it. A lot of things he "missed" probably weren't even the 3rd read on the play. Now if you want to talk about accuracy and ball placement, I am right there with you.

Issue with that, is the video evidence suggests Dak was never even going through his progressions to begin with. He never scans the field, seems eager to get the ball out of his hands on the first read if he knows they're open.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to refer to our TE's and WRs as jags.
They're supposed to get open and that's what they did, but Dak didn't deliver!
If Dak hit's 'em on the numbers and they start dropping passes, that's jag. But as far as I could see in that film, the receivers did their jobs,
and Dak was the jag.
It's not all about we saw during the game, but it's also about what we didn't see. Our OC got Zeke and Tavon, our two best weapons 16 total touches. All our TEs combined barely had half that many touches in their entire NFL careers coming into that game. There isn't one WR on our roster that any defense respects enough to even consider dbl teaming, yet our OC kept trying to get the ball into their hands and not our two best players.....why? There was supposed to be creative ways to use Tavon, utilize his game breaking speed. Hard to use that speed, if he isn't touching the ball, 1 touch all game.....really? What's the point of having a Ferrari if it never gets out of the garage? The defense doesn't respect Dak's arm, but they also don't respect any of our receivers, the defense can stack the box not just because of Dak, but because they know they can single cover everyone. Why didn't they try getting more short passes to Zeke, why keep abandoning the run? Why force Dak to try to beat them and not incorporate the real weapons we have on this offense? Zeke was drafted 4th overall, why do we fail to use him more? What are we saving him for.......his next team? I didn't believe Tavon was really going to get 1-2 dozen touches a game, but 1 touch? We made it much easier for their defense without Zeke and Tavon in the mix. Dak played bad, there's no doubt, but our coaches never adjusted, never thought that maybe we should try getting our play makers more involved. Are we purposefully trying to tank the season? What other reason is there when we don't use Zeke. What other NFL team would let one of the best RBs in the league and one of the fastest guys in the league get only 16 touches combined? This is not an isolated case, we have criminally underutilized Zeke in the past, but it becomes much worse when we have a team without any other weapons. I hope the Giants OC is like Linehan, only get Barkley 15 carries and get OBJ 1 touch, that would be nice, make our defenses day much easier.

Blake

Reaction score
Even the way Dak does that little high-knee, pree-snap thingy, looks unnatural for an nfl qb. Like he's getting work in at the dojo or something.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yes and that film shows exactly why.
What I still don't understand is he didn't look like that in 2016, and it's not just the pressure, he had pressure in 2016 and he dealt with it!
But now he's a completely different QB. And I'm not buying the line that they schemed against him, that film shows open receivers and he had time to hit 'em, some he saw and jus didn't throw it, and some he never saw. But that's not the same as it was in 2016.
What did they DO to this kid?
Even if we end up with a high pick QB in the draft, I do not trust JG, Linehan or *gulp* Kellen Moore to be able to develop him. We will end up with a QB that looked like Goff did under Fisher.