I do not care about player stats

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Good thing you don’t root for browns or lions.
It’s hard to win in this league especially since salary cap era began
Everyone wants a Lombardi some realize how hard it is and accept it

Cowboy fans were spoiled pre salary cap
I just like to show these old timers the irony in they're ways

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Good thing you don’t root for browns or lions.
It’s hard to win in this league especially since salary cap era began
Everyone wants a Lombardi some realize how hard it is and accept it

Cowboy fans were spoiled pre salary cap
It's also hard to win when you have an owner who doesn't give a crap about winning.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's also hard to win when you have an owner who doesn't give a crap about winning.
I actually think he does care about winning.

He *can* be "relvent..make money...doing what he's been doing. But win a super bowl? Generate WAY more! That's really where he desperately wants to be.

The problem is...he believes he can do it HIS way. And then the just has to keep doubling down. Stubborn coot.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those that say they don't care about stats are the 1st ones to point out the bad stats of the team or the player.

Stats are fun, especially if the team is winning. And to see how your favorite players move up in the ranks. Not just for the year but for the all time leaders as well.
Now FA hurts that now. Since a player is not guaranteed to stay with a team their entire career anymore.

Another thing about stats is FF, as it sparks interest even for the casual fans that never really paid as much attention before to any sport. Even though IMO it ruins some fanship in the way they root for certain teams.
Say we win the division. But the Eagles need to beat oh, the Falcons to make the playoffs. Well I am rooting for the Falcons, but some other Dallas fan is rooting for the Eagles...for FF points .... that is messed upped.

Yes, win the game, wins and losses are stats also. But have fun with the good stats for the team you profess to be a fan of.
I loved watching the stats as Emmitt moved up in the rankings.

nobody

Reaction score
Those that say they don't care about stats are the 1st ones to point out the bad stats of the team or the player.

Stats are fun, especially if the team is winning. And to see how your favorite players move up in the ranks. Not just for the year but for the all time leaders as well.
Now FA hurts that now. Since a player is not guaranteed to stay with a team their entire career anymore.

Another thing about stats is FF, as it sparks interest even for the casual fans that never really paid as much attention before to any sport. Even though IMO it ruins some fanship in the way they root for certain teams.
Say we win the division. But the Eagles need to beat oh, the Falcons to make the playoffs. Well I am rooting for the Falcons, but some other Dallas fan is rooting for the Eagles...for FF points .... that is messed upped.

Yes, win the game, wins and losses are stats also. But have fun with the good stats for the team you profess to be a fan of.
I loved watching the stats as Emmitt moved up in the rankings.
Yes, it was fun watching Emmitt climb the stats, but now people seem to make up stats with very specific qualifiers to fit whatever narrative they're pushing. Emmitt's numbers were against all-time greats and were concrete. None of this best at (insert whatever stat here) in a 3 game stretch during full moons while wearing pink cleats.

Yes, it's hyperbole, but constantly keeping track of meaningless made-up stats with qualifiers just degrades what's already there, good and bad. If people like that, fine, but in the end, it's about seasons, careers, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for those players that hit remarkable achievements, but some of the stats people celebrate or denigrate? Silly.

You're right about FA and FF changing things. FF has been a two-edged sword. On one hand it brought in more fans in general, but on the other hand it watered down the team-centric fandom and led to more individual player fandom over teams. FA also has/had its good and bad. Several things have changed the game over the years. Is it better, worse, or both but just different? I couldn't say. What I can say for sure is that I'm far less passionate about football and the Cowboys than I used to be. I do have the occasional fits of passion for it spring up from time to time. I've heard others talk about that too. So if I and those people are any indicator, perhaps these stats are a desperate attempt by the powers that be to generate flagging interest.

foofighters

Reaction score
I am glad the Cowboys won-- more on the later.

As far as Lamb, Dak, Parsons, etc.... personal stats ~ DO NOT CARE !

Personal players stats are for their next contract, being patted on the back and praised with the media.
Until this franchise can get to a damn NFC Conference game THIS CENTURY, will continue to say it.
Romo, Dez, Ware, Witten, Owens, etc.... ALL had stats but the stats NONE of them had was ZERO NFC Conference game played. Hell, Ware had to leave Dallas to get his chance and Parsons will eventually leave Dallas for the same reasons.

Great the team WON ! But how many years have this same scenario been sold ( FOOLS GOLD/Pyrite) to Cowboys fans?
Answer: 27 years

Get to a NFC Conference game and break this trend. Until then, do not care.
Now, go beat Carolina
You sound old and grumpy like me. Actually stats are needed. You need to be able to see individual improvement YOY. If you have a poor team, individual stats can help in determining if you keep that person or can get draft picks for his performance. Now, if someone is solely using stats as a defense of someone, that yes, I agree. Stats are a useful tool but they do not answer the question completely.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I am glad the Cowboys won-- more on the later.

As far as Lamb, Dak, Parsons, etc.... personal stats ~ DO NOT CARE !

Personal players stats are for their next contract, being patted on the back and praised with the media.
Until this franchise can get to a damn NFC Conference game THIS CENTURY, will continue to say it.
Romo, Dez, Ware, Witten, Owens, etc.... ALL had stats but the stats NONE of them had was ZERO NFC Conference game played. Hell, Ware had to leave Dallas to get his chance and Parsons will eventually leave Dallas for the same reasons.

Great the team WON ! But how many years have this same scenario been sold ( FOOLS GOLD/Pyrite) to Cowboys fans?
Answer: 27 years

Get to a NFC Conference game and break this trend. Until then, do not care.
Now, go beat Carolina
If you do not care then do not post.
This is the dumbest stuff imaginable.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right about FA and FF changing things. FF has been a two-edged sword. On one hand it brought in more fans in general, but on the other hand it watered down the team-centric fandom and led to more individual player fandom over teams. FA also has/had its good and bad. Several things have changed the game over the years. Is it better, worse, or both but just different?
Free agency and the salary cap imposed in the post 1994 Collective Bargaining Agreement era between the owners and players union created enforced parity. The New England Patriots have been the best example of a franchise that capitalized on it via a:
  • 100% supportive, removed from practically all football management affairs owner
  • Super Bowl caliber defensive minded head coach
  • superb quarterback, whose career established him as the best ever
  • virtually annual mix of solid defensive units balanced with offensive squads that executed extremely well
Both time and variables (notably Tom Brady) removed from the competitive formula combined to disrupt it but it lasted for decades. New England exploited the current era's setup much more than all other franchises.

Is the game better for the owners and players union? Yes. Is the overall game better by eliminating multiple dominating franchises per era through greater distribution of player talent leaguewide? No.

The exchange, for making practically every team every year to be 'good enough' and birth competitiveness for most games, created a void devoid of truly superior teams that reigned for YEARS. Packers. Dolphins. Steelers. Cowboys. Franchises like these did not go undefeated every season. Even Miami was an outlier. However, there were many games when lessor opponents PLAYED UP TO the level of the best in football. Many that could be described as knockdown, dragged out fights. The best of the best usually won but there were more memorable instances when underdogs won.

That quality of overall NFL football gradually eroded season after season after the ratification of that fateful CBA to what we have today. Professional football is still exciting to watch. Elements like modern fantasy football injects an artificial sense of adrenalin. So has legalized sports betting.

Parity lies beneath it all now. Championship favorites now are a year-to-year manifestation of hitting on just the right draft choices with immediate gameday impact, identifying just the right holes to fill in free agency, having just enough on-the-same-page communication between coaches and players and maintaining just the right degree of health of the handful of core top players.

Now, the best of the best one year can get one or more of those wrong and they can be easily out of the playoffs or even end up with losing records the very next year. That is a commonplace occurrence now. It is what younger fans have mostly or entirely experienced for their whole fanship with the NFL.

This is the new norm but it is not what it used to be. My one hope as an old fan is that the National Football League does not 'evolve' into something better than it is now.

Flag football anyone..?

/rant