I do not see any difference between that play and the Dez play in 2014 *merged*

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So if that is so, why do we have catch reviews every game? Clearly it isn't being officiated the same or they wouldn't need to be reviewed. And pointing to those who made the call and are then explaining means it is proof?

Some of these catch plays are bang bang plays they have to be reviewed. It’s difficult to tell in real time if the receiver completed the process. You need to take a break from this it’s wearing on you. The proof that the call was correct is the fact that it was confirmed by the league to be correct and it continues to be officiated the same way.

blindzebra

Reaction score
You don't even get that you don't get it.
I get it fine. We present counter evidence and you guys go out of your way to attack the messenger to avoid focusing on the evidence at hand. Anyone on the side lines reading the thread can clearly see it. Percy, Mr.C, Me and anyone else that posts gets accused of being a whining, stupid fan, being a conspiracy nut, cherry picking facts, going between the rule and case books, etc. Yet we are the ones who posted all of the rules and case plays so that people could judge for themselves. We were the ones who shared their experience from officiating about how the rule and case books work together, and how to understand just how to connect things within the rules. While the other side just keeps saying doesn't matter going to the ground. On the rare occasion that they did address the rules and case plays, they just blatantly misrepresented what the rules said and what the case plays meant. Rinse, spin, repeat.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Read the news, watch the superbowl, Collingsworth even said he can't understand the rule anymore. Is Roge Goodell your cousin?...lol

Many are confused by the rule but that hasn’t changed the rule. Some of you need to come to grips with it. I watched the Super Bowl and some of you don’t see any difference between Dez play and Ertz play despite significant differences. As Collinsworth he’s not the brightest bulb. He’s been ripped here a number of times for his insight. He can’t seem to understand a lot of calls.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Many are confused by the rule but that hasn’t changed the rule. Some of you need to come to grips with it. I watched the Super Bowl and some of you don’t see any difference between Dez play and Ertz play despite significant differences.
LOL, very few are confused. You have to understand it to give rule support to refute it. The argument isn't about the rule, it is about it being misapplied and then altered.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I wouldn't be even mildly surprised if some of these posters are not from the NFL.

Is there any sane reason why a Dallas Cowboys fan would be adamant that Dez didn't catch the ball, three years later?
When you consider the number of fans around the country when the subject comes up who say, "I hate the Cowboys, but Dez caught it." Cowboy fans are not alone.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When you consider the number of fans around the country when the subject comes up who say, "I hate the Cowboys, but Dez caught it." Cowboy fans are not alone.
No, there are also some really dumb non-Dallas fans.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned this. Let's consider a similar situation with a few wrinkles. Suppose the same play had happened with Dez stumbling to the ground, and upon hitting the ground the ball pops out of his possession briefly, but there was no defender that he came in contact with as he went to the ground and therefore he hadn't yet been touched down by a defender and the play was still live. And then in that brief moment when the ball popped free a Packer arrived and grabbed the ball before Dez could. Do you suppose all these people would still be willing to say it was a catch, or since the Packers ended up with the ball they would insist it was an incomplete pass.

I know some will say this play doesn't make sense because "the ground can't cause a fumble", but in my example Dez wouldn't have been touched on his way to the ground, so the play would still be live, and if the ball pops free it is live for anyone to recover.

. Then suppose when the ball popped free after he hit the ground someone on the Packers jumped on the ball before Dez regained possession. I wonder how many Cowboy fans would have thought it was a catch then, or if they would have been screaming that it was an incomplete pass.

I've discussed this same point before. Of course no one answered. Yes, they would be livid all saying that why should it be a fumble when he didn't control the ball. We are on a Cowboys board. The fans on this board want every call to go our way. They want everything to be a catch unless its a fumble. I'm sure every fan wants it that way. But you cant dump the baby out with the bath water.

kskboys

Reaction score
I wouldn't be even mildly surprised if some of these posters are not from the NFL.

Is there any sane reason why a Dallas Cowboys fan would be adamant that Dez didn't catch the ball, three years later?
There's no sane reason to be arguing about this at all 3 years later!!!!

Does anyone besides me think this thread should be shut down in the name of keeping an ounce of sanity preserved?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blindzebra

Reaction score
I would estimate at least 80% of your posting history is whining over this play. :laugh:
Well considering I have been on this board since 2004, and was extremely active as all long time posters and mods can confirm, and I would say morning Pops and have discussions with Pops over all things Cowboys, I can say with complete certainty, that like everything else you have posted in this thread, you have no clue.

blindzebra

Reaction score
There's no sane reason to be arguing about this at all 3 years later!!!!

Does anyone besides me think this thread should be shut down in the name of keeping an ounce of sanity preserved?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not until we hit 2k and 100.:thumbup:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I get what you’re saying as well but it drives me crazy.

I understand, but how often do we actually see a team get beat because it ran out of challenges. It's rare that a team actually needs more than 2-3 to begin with, especially since every touchdown and turnover is automatically reviewed anyway.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Percy, Mr.C, Me and anyone else that posts gets accused of being a whining, stupid fan, being a conspiracy nut, cherry picking facts, going between the rule and case books, etc.

All true, by the way. In fact, here's you going the conspiracy route when cornered. My favorite exchange in the whole thread, lol.

It's also (Case play A.R. 8.12) in the 2015 Casebook (top of page 120). So anyone trying to use the case example as a way to say that one couldn't perform a football move while falling in 2015, like blindzebra tried to do, has had that viewpoint properly debunked.

Then explain why it hasn't been there since 2015? Pretty simple explanation. If it did not fit in 2014 like you claim, how does it work with the new rule in 2015? It doesn't, in their rush to make their mistake seem correct, they forgot to edit it from the 2015 case book.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I can say with complete certainty, that like everything else you have posted in this thread, you have no clue.

You’ve said with complete certainty that the league is wrong and you’re right. You have no clue.