I do not see any difference between that play and the Dez play in 2014 *merged*

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your so off it’s utterly ridiculous.. now toes aren’t the feet..

Touching the ground, whether with toes or the entire foot, isn't the same as a step. As I am typing this I have both feet on the ground, but I am not taking a step.

khiladi

Reaction score
Touching the ground, whether with toes or the entire foot, isn't the same as a step. As I am typing this I have both feet on the ground, but I am not taking a step.

So Dez is apparently stationary now.. it’s all an illusion and those aren’t steps..

These new definitions of what constitutes steps are hilarious..

khiladi

Reaction score
So when a WR catches a sideline route with both feet on the ground, but dragging his tip-toes it’s not a step in the NFL world because he doesn’t ‘plant his feet’..

I’ve heard it all

blindzebra

Reaction score
Show me where they “changed” the rule? The rule wasn’t changed it was clarified. If they changed the rule it would be officiated differently and that hasn’t happened. This is proof positive how in denial you are.
2014 Item 1 did not contain upright long enough, and that concept did not appear anywhere else within the 2014 rules. Post GB, your boy, specifically used a football move in his explanation of the Dez play and not once did he say Dez was not upright long enough to make a move, he said he did not make enough of a move.
By the wording of the 2015 rule, the catch process needs to be completed before going to the ground, which did not happen in the play he used to illustrate the correct way to lunge by a play Dez made against NY. Dez completed the catch process after falling in that NY game, which completely contradicts the upright long enough added in 2015.

o4f2m.jpg

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So now your defining feet on the ground, aka steps, as more than the toes.. your making up definitions as you go along..

How can a receiver take a step when they’re falling parallel to the ground? He was freefalling when his toes kicked up the turf. You call that taking a step? Even if he was able to take three steps while falling he still had to hang onto the ball through the contact of the ground. Why can’t some of you get that?

khiladi

Reaction score
How can a receiver take a step when they’re falling parallel to the ground? He was freefalling when his toes kicked up the turf. You call that taking a step? Even if he was able to take three steps while falling he still had to hang onto the ball through the contact of the ground. Why can’t some of you get that?

Show me where toes don’t count as feet or advancing the ball have to happen with the heels..

You are making definitions up..

blindzebra

Reaction score
Mainly because it is wrong.

khiladi

Reaction score
He doesn’t have to hang on to the ball if ‘an act common to the game’ is made after he has secured the ball..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
2014 Item 1 did not contain upright long enough, and that concept did not appear anywhere else within the 2014 rules. Post GB, your boy, specifically used a football move in his explanation of the Dez play and not once did he say Dez was not upright long enough to make a move, he said he did not make enough of a move.
By the wording of the 2015 rule, the catch process needs to be completed before going to the ground, which did not happen in the play he used to illustrate the correct way to lunge by a play Dez made against NY. Dez completed the catch process after falling in that NY game, which completely contradicts the upright long enough added in 2015.

o4f2m.jpg

The rule wasn’t changed it was clarified. What you’re pointing out are the clarifications. You claiming the rule was changed is proof positive you don’t know what you’re talking about. I challenge you to provide a link saying the catch rule was changed. :thumbup:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Show me where toes don’t count as feet or advancing the ball have to happen with the heels..

You are making definitions up..

Show me where that was a step? Go find a link that confirms that was the step. He was falling parallel to the ground when he pushed off on his toes. Even had he been able to take a step, steps don’t matter when a receiver is going to the ground. They still have to complete the process. Why doesn’t that register with you? :facepalm:

khiladi

Reaction score
BTW, I have no idea why this is disputed as not a catch by those bringing up case rules that in actuality state specifically it is a catch (whatever year this case from the rulebook came from):

A.R. 8.12 GOING TO THE GROUND—COMPLETE PASS

First-and-10-on B25. A1 throws a pass to A2 who controls the ball and gets one foot down before he is contacted by B1. He goes to the ground as a result of the contact, gets his second foot down, and with the ball in his right arm, he braces himself at the three-yard line with his left hand and simultaneously lunges forward toward the goal line. When he lands in the end zone, THE BALL COMES OUT.

Ruling: TOUCHDOWN Team A. Kickoff A35. The pass IS COMPLETE. When the receiver hits the ground in the end zone, it is the result of LUNGING forward after BRACING himself at the three-yard line and is NOT PART of the process of the catch. Since the ball crossed the goal line, it is a touchdown. If the ball is short of the goal line, it is a catch, and A2 is down by contact.

khiladi

Reaction score
Show me where that was a step? Go find a link that confirms that was the step. He was falling parallel to the ground when he pushed off on his toes. Even had he been able to take a step, steps don’t matter when a receiver is going to the ground. They still have to complete the process. Why doesn’t that register with you? :facepalm:

I don’t have to find a link. You need to show me where heels touching your ground are the only way a step is actually a step in the English language. You are making definitions up.

If a WR catches a sideline route and tip-toes with two feet before he goes out of bounds and then falls and the ball is that not a catch because he didn’t step?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

khiladi

Reaction score
These are links pointing to clarifying the rule not changing the rule. Everything that was required in 2010 to make a legal catch is still required today.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ar...ts/2015/08/nfl_attempts_to_add_more_clari.amp

http://sportspickle.com/news/nfl-cl...yers-must-hold-onto-ball-take-home-raise.html

And the conclusions of these articles are still wrong.

“Despite the added language to the rule, Bryant's play would still be deemed an incomplete pass, because he was unable to make a football move OR clearly become a runner.”

So they argue that Dez didn’t make a football move, which he did and that is a lunge and a reach.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t have to find a link. You need to show me where heels touching your ground are the only way a step is actually a step in the English language. You are making definitions up.

If a WR catches a sideline route and tip-toes with two feet before he goes out of bounds and then falls and the ball is that not a catch because he didn’t step?

A step in football terms has the be a clear step with a player upright, not falling parallel to the ground. It takes only common sense to determine that. You’re arguing about something that doesn’t matter anyway because Dez was going to the ground and steps don’t matter.

khiladi

Reaction score
A step in football terms has the be a clear step with a player upright, not falling parallel to the ground. It takes only common sense to determine that. You’re arguing about something that doesn’t matter anyway because Dez was going to the ground and steps don’t matter.

So your making stuff up and calling them ‘common sense’.