Twitter: I don't buy Zeke's knee injury excuse

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cole Beasley told y'all as he left town that the FO dictates who gets the ball, and most of you didn't want to hear it at the time.

Kind of obvious what's going on here. Even a boob like McCarthy probably sees Pollard as the better back.
Yep

But we have fans who thought just because we hired an experienced HC that Jethro wouldn’t continue to meddle.

tunahelper

Reaction score
The thing I question more than anything is why were they so stubborn to keep giving him the ball. His production was clearly affected yet they kept feeding him the ball. I would have kept the whole PCL thing quiet because it makes them look like idiots that they knew he had a significant injury with a decreased production yet foolishly kept playing him.

That would be a good follow to MM excuse for Zeke's poor play.

Reporter to MM:
Mike, regardless of the cause of Zeke's production decline, why didn't the coaching staff recognize/decide to use a more capable player that would improve offensive production?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure most of you don't either but some of you might.

Consider this. He apparently injured the knee week 4 against the Panthers.

Now if Zeke's knee injury was so limiting why would he rush for 110 yards and 5.2 yards per carry the very next week? How is that possible 7 days after a ligament tear yet it's so debilitating the rest of the season?

I'm sure he had a knee issue but I think it's been used to cover for a rapidly declining once superstar. A player the Cowboys are not only heavily invested in and loyal to because of the contract but the fact that he's the QB's best friend.

This is a real problem and it's not going away in 2022. No matter how many awesome offseason workout videos he posts.

I don't buy you're idiocy, but we're stuck with you, like we're stuck with Zeke.....He's a man and played hurt......what have you done? Have you ever broken a sweat?

Sydla

Reaction score
I think Cole Beasley dropped some truth bombs about how this organization operates when he left:

“I was seeing that even though I was better, it didn’t matter almost,” Beasley said of his rookie experience. “I got frustrated, more frustrated than I should’ve. It was a wake-up call for me what the NFL was. It wasn’t real, not what I thought it was.

“You automatically assume the best players in the NFL always play. Then you get there, and you realize it’s not always the case. I wondered what I was working for. The coaches keep telling me I’m undrafted, I’m small, take no days off, I have to earn it every day. And I felt like I was, but maybe I’m still not going to get it because this other guy is making $8 million, and they have to justify signing him.”

Maybe but Cole Beasley is also a notorious whiner so I am not sure I'd put a lot of faith in things he's uttering.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is Jerrys boy so he gets to play. Gregory is Jerrys boy so he gets to play. Collins is Jerrys boy so he gets to play. Just like Jaylon was and Crawford was. The list goes on and on. Play time when available is not affected by selfishness, ineffectiveness, past suspensions, past injuries, etc. Play time is determined by super Jerry. Heck play style is determined by super Jerry. This whole freaking clown show is run by an old drunk buffoon.
That's ridiculous.....looks at some of the guys that Jerry cut.....we're just stupid fans with no clue.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Maybe but Cole Beasley is also a notorious whiner so I am not sure I'd put a lot of faith in things he's uttering.
I understand that, but watching them play Zeke over the better player clearly seems to show what Beasley is talking about.

I'm also reminded about Witten taking a year off, coming back, and instantly playing 99% of the snaps.

There's something to what Beasley is saying here.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, by all accounts he was in the best shape of his career coming into camp. His numbers the first month of the season were right on pace with what he was doing in his second season. All signs were pointing to him being a top 3-4 rusher and having a great bounce back season. Maybe you're confused, a 26 year old doesn't just fall of a cliff 5 weeks into the season.

Through 4 games, he was averaging 85 yards per game, which would be 13 yards less per game than his 2017 and 2018 seasons.

He was not on pace to match his 2nd season. He did have 4 TDs through 4 games this year but that hardly shows he was on pace to match his 2017 season production.

Some of you are really struggling with the reality that Zeke just isn't as good as he was. And frankly, this was utterly predictable too.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't know - to me Zeke looked better at the beginning of the year that I'd had seen him in the past couple years. Quicker, some explosion was back, moving better to the hole. I was pretty excited about what he looked like. Then after week 6 he fell off a cliff and moved like he was hurt. Very stiff, no explosion, no fluid movement.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Jerry might have influenced McCarthy to give more carries to Zeke. If that's the case then Jerry needs to fire himself.
I suspect the Jones Boys have been wielding their influence over personnel for quite some time. The OL scramble after Collins returned is another example of risky personnel moves.

MajesticRey

Reaction score

Now if Zeke's knee injury was so limiting why would he rush for 110 yards and 5.2 yards per carry the very next week? How is that possible 7 days after a ligament tear yet it's so debilitating the rest of the season?

I'm sure he had a knee issue but I think it's been used to cover for a rapidly declining once superstar. A player the Cowboys are not only heavily invested in and loyal to because of the contract but the fact that he's the QB's best friend.

This is a real problem and it's not going away in 2022. No matter how many awesome offseason workout videos he posts.

No one of us know the true story, but we can all clearly see he was being outperformed by Pollard when it came to offensive production. The coaching staff is stupid for making Zeke the featured back.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I don't buy you're idiocy, but we're stuck with you, like we're stuck with Zeke.....He's a man and played hurt......what have you done? Have you ever broken a sweat?
Who cares if he played hurt? His production hurt the team

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Don't ever buy merchandise, tickets, memorabilia etc., not even at wholesale prices. Boycott Jerry and his foolishness.
Yeah, I don't think that would work. there are a ton of diehard fans, probably not here but there are a ton.

TexasBacon

Reaction score

I see your point but using the same thought process does it also make sense that he started pretty hot and then just completely fell off one day and never had another game reminiscent of how he started? I could see a more steady decline making sense but such a steep drop off that he never regained does lend itself to the idea that he had an injury. Now, if he truly was injured it just means this coaching staff/ front office are even bigger morons than we thought to not just go with Pollard/Clement and let Zeke rest. I still have nightmares of him just barreling up the middle for no gain for the last 9 weeks of the season.