I dont think Trysten Hill has shown up yet

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well said.

And having been on this message board for many years now, I can tell you that many of them talking about Hill like he’s a bust are the same people who called D-Law a bust and had to be talked off the ledge after picking Jaylon Smith.

As a matter of fact, I think many of them actually jumped off of that ledge, lol.
:hammer:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Collins has always been good, he's just had injuries. Were still waiting for Taco to show up in real games.
And Collins didn’t do much in his first preseason.

In fact, he had 5 sacks in 16 games as a rookie DT, which is very, very good for a rookie. That feat is almost never accomplished in the NFL... yet the fact that Hill only has 0.5 sacks in his first 3 preseason games means that he’s a bust. :rolleyes:

If Hill makes a half a sack every 3 games as a rookie, he’d just about equal Collins’ 5 sacks as a rookie.

It is pretty evident that many fans have unrealistic expectations for what a late second round rookie DT should do. It would be too early to judge him after his entire rookie season. Judging him after 3 PS games is just crazy.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
FYI Thornhill is regressing and got beaten badly in the last PS game. May still be a better pick but it’s way too early to call it
He just got his second interception of the preseason last night, proof he’s a good player... oh, wait... that was Donavan Wilson, the safety Dallas drafted in the 6th.

My bad.

Yeah Thornhill isn’t playing that well.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
He wasn’t really all that highly drafted, his spot you just hope for a good enough player to start on your team with two years.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched him get knocked down pretty easy last night. He did get up and get in on the play though. He hustles. But not seeing what they were saying before the draft. They acted like we got the best DT in the draft. Immediate impact player. I don’t see it. But am hopefull. Hyder and some of the others were playing good.
Not too many instant starters at DT.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the way Maliek is playing he will not be starting at all this year. My hope is that he hits his stride mid to late season in time for our playoff run.
The starting DTs play about 65% of the snaps.

That leaves 35% of the snaps at 2 positions or (A total of 70 snaps per 100 snaps played by the defense).

TheGoat73

Reaction score
After last night, I saw him in but disappeared as usual. I don't know what they saw in him to be such an early pick.

..you guys seeing something else?
I heard he’s a rookie in preseason.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Hill is playing a position that takes time for any rookie to get acclimated to at the NFL LEVEL. Don't care how high he was drafted...its hard to play at a high level at the 3/1 technique. It takes in game reps.
Then why draft him so high if you know he's going to be a longterm project where you're not guaranteed he will perform up to your draft status? Rounds 1 and 2 picks are supposed to be used for players who can start and contribute within the first 2 seasons.

Pharoah

Reaction score
No one can judge kid yet but he definitely could have been taken around round 4 or 5. No way he is second and Wise Walker UFA. Before negative response I know why taken based on supposed upside based on measurables/sparqe score

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After last night, I saw him in but disappeared as usual. I don't know what they saw in him to be such an early pick.

..you guys seeing something else?
I watched him get knocked down pretty easy last night. He did get up and get in on the play though. He hustles. But not seeing what they were saying before the draft. They acted like we got the best DT in the draft. Immediate impact player. I don’t see it. But am hopefull. Hyder and some of the others were playing good.

He has been OK and there was not a problem with his performance in the Texans game.

He occupied double teams on some of the plays where other players got a sack or hit on the QB.

He has a decent "feel" for playing the run, especially on man blocking type runs.

He does need a lot of reps vs zone blocking runs because the timing and technique on those takes a look of practice.

He does over-extend and end up on the ground too often; however, he did that in college but it rarely had a negative impact on the play.

He made a lot of plays in college after going to the ground and then jumping up to get in on a run stop or QB sack/hit.

The big big difference between Hill and Taco is that Hill is a "High Motor" type player that gives good effort consistently.

Taco is just now giving consistent effort.

erod

Reaction score
The probability that erod won’t bring up Thornhill if he busts, is near 100%.
I'm not going to pretend I knew much about Thornhill, but that was the guy sitting there that was highly touted, and Dallas needed a safety.

The could both bust or both succeed, but we'll see.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He has been OK and there was not a problem with his performance in the Texans game.

He occupied double teams on some of the plays where other players got a sack or hit on the QB.

He has a decent "feel" for playing the run, especially on man blocking type runs.

He does need a lot of reps vs zone blocking runs because the timing and technique on those takes a look of practice.

He does over-extend and end up on the ground too often; however, he did that in college but it rarely had a negative impact on the play.

He made a lot of plays in college after going to the ground and then jumping up to get in on a run stop or QB sack/hit.

The big big difference between Hill and Taco is that Hill is a "High Motor" type player that gives good effort consistently.

Yep the play I purposely watched he got knocked down quick, got up and helped make the tackle on a run play.. That's a high motor at game speed to be able to get up and make a tackle for a short gain on a run play..

erod

Reaction score

You left the part out that Hill had many of the questions that David Irving had. Doesn't love football and struggles with authority.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend I knew much about Thornhill, but that was the guy sitting there that was highly touted, and Dallas needed a safety.

The could both bust or both succeed, but we'll see.
Fair enough.

But for the record, I wasn’t crazy about Thornhill. I would have rather had Taylor Rapp than him. I have no problem not taking Thornhill.