I dont think Trysten Hill has shown up yet

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
..ok, good input here from you guys. So most you of are saying because of the position, it needs development? ..thats fair enough.
Lol. I get a good laugh from those believing this response.

Taco was drafted with a late 1st round pick. This is his 3rd year. Had he not started to show signs of finally playing up to his draft status, does anyone believe he would still be on the team after this season? Remember, there were already rumblings of Taco being on the hot seat prior to this season beginning. One doesn't draft a 1st or 2nd round pick to be a longterm 4-6 year project. 1st and 2nd round picks are supposed to become instant starters and team contributors within their first 2 years. If not, you'll start falling behind the 8 ball while your opponents keep getting further ahead with much smarter early year contributors.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That was the scouting report.

Marinelli thought he could motivate him, just like Taco.
Show me a scouting report of his that says he likes weed more than football, that he has been accused of domestic violence and that he was kicked off of his college team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Collins has always been good, he's just had injuries. Were still waiting for Taco to show up in real games.

He’s been good but he’s expected to have a huge breakout this year from just being a normal d tackle.

erod

Reaction score
Show me a scouting report of his that says he likes weed more than football, that he has been accused of domestic violence and that he was kicked off of his college team.
We won't know about him this year. He's a project guy.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's early yet. Some guys catch on and produce quickly, while others take more time. I'm inclined to be patient with rookies and await the time when they gradually show steady improvement. Some devoted weight training could help his cause. Marinelli will push him. Hopefully, the time may come for Hill when he starts producing results. If not, the team can always move on without him. We'll see.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
We won't know about him this year. He's a project guy.
Hill doesn’t have the issues David Irving had. He does love football, and he doesn’t struggle with authority.

He had an issue with his new coaching staff because he wanted to transfer to Nebraska to be with the coach that recruited him to UCF, and the coaches wouldn’t let him. He sulked about that, which is the only red flag associated with Hill.

The guy you love, Baker Mayfield transferred to Oklahoma. Do you think he would have sulked had Texas Tech not allowed him to transfer? Yes he would have.

That is all hill did. His draft profiles all talked about how incredibly hard he plays and none of them say a word about him not loving football.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Then we need to let Hill play his first two years and then judge him. I agree.
I agree too. The kid was a late 2nd rounder and he is only 21 years old. Darren Woodson was a second rounder and he didn't start his first year either, and he was taken 21 selections earlier.

Seems some have given up on Taco being a bust and found a new whipping boy.

erod

Reaction score
Hill doesn’t have the issues David Irving had. He does love football, and he doesn’t struggle with authority.

He had an issue with his new coaching staff because he wanted to transfer to Nebraska to be with the coach that recruited him to UCF, and the coaches wouldn’t let him. He sulked about that, which is the only red flag associated with Hill.

The guy you love, Baker Mayfield transferred to Oklahoma. Do you think he would have sulked had Texas Tech not allowed him to transfer? Yes he would have.

That is all hill did. His draft profiles all talked about how incredibly hard he plays and none of them say a word about him not loving football.

Let's hope so. If Taco comes around Hill hits, this will be a terrific line.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The Hill pick was more about 2020 than 2019. He needs time to develop and hopefully the other dts are active ahead of him come game day.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After last night, I saw him in but disappeared as usual. I don't know what they saw in him to be such an early pick.

..you guys seeing something else?
Pick #68 has been a Cowboy for all of 4 months.

Because he can't walk on water the bashing begins.

SMH

waldoputty

Reaction score
as a pretty pathetic comp, here is a sad state of affairs of 2nd round picks for the packers - https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/25/packers-swing-and-miss-on-another-second-round-pick/:

Jones joins Rollins and Spriggs as recent second-round busts. Rollins, the 62nd pick in 2015, played in 33 games for the Packers between 2015-17 but struggled to stay healthy and keep up with receivers in man coverage. He was released before the start of last season. Spriggs, the 48th oerall pick in 2016, hasn’t developed enough at offensive tackle and was waived with an injury designation earlier this month. He’s since reverted to the team’s injured reserve list, but an injury settlement is almost certainly coming.

The Packers better hope King shakes the injury bug, Jackson develops into a starting-level cornerback and Jenkins emerges as a starter up front on offense. The team can’t afford for three more second-round picks to bust, especially when all five first-round picks between 2011 and 2015 (Derrek Sherrod, Nick Perry, Datone Jones, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Damarious Randall) are no longer on the roster.

Kaiser

Reaction score
That was the scouting report.

Marinelli thought he could motivate him, just like Taco.

That absolutely was NOT the scouting report on Hill. It was all about the new coaches, which many people blamed on the coaches.

This is what Dane Brugler wrote about him:

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at UCF, Hill was a key cog in UCF’s 3-4 base defense his first two seasons, moving to a rotational nose tackle role in a 4-3 as a junior. He spent most of the 2018 season as a reserve because he was late buying in to the new coaching staff, scheme and responsibilities. Hill was routinely the first defensive lineman to cross into enemy territory on tape, quickly finding the football and making plays in the hole. Although he has quick feet/hands to shoot gaps, his eyes are bigger than his stomach and he doesn’t have a deep tool box as a rusher, relying more on his first step and motor. Overall, Hill is an outstanding athlete for a 300+ pounder with the movement skills to develop into an NFL backfield disruptor if he matures both on and off the field, projecting best as one-gap three technique.

Techsass

Reaction score
It seems like the 2 positions we covet the least are Safety & DT. That they were looking at either as their first pick is mind boggling to me.

I've taken an interest in Hill & really hope he becomes more than just a starter for us.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Lol. I get a good laugh from those believing this response.

Taco was drafted with a late 1st round pick. This is his 3rd year. Had he not started to show signs of finally playing up to his draft status, does anyone believe he would still be on the team after this season? Remember, there were already rumblings of Taco being on the hot seat prior to this season beginning. One doesn't draft a 1st or 2nd round pick to be a longterm 4-6 year project. 1st and 2nd round picks are supposed to become instant starters and team contributors within their first 2 years. If not, you'll start falling behind the 8 ball while your opponents keep getting further ahead with much smarter early year contributors.
Maliek Collins was a third round draft pick. He was a starter in his rookie year and ended that year with five sacks.

When the hell did it become stupid to expect more from a second round pick than a third round pick?

Excuses don't excuse they just explain.

If we have to lower our expectations then what does that really say about Hill?