I dont think Trysten Hill has shown up yet

Techsass

Reaction score
Maliek Collins was a third round draft pick. He was a starter in his rookie year and ended that year with five sacks.

When the hell did it become stupid to expect more from a second round pick than a third round pick?

Excuses don't excuse they just explain.

If we have to lower our expectations then what does that really say about Hill?
9 picks after Tysten when we were seesawing between picks 4 & 5 in each round. I expect Trysten to show up, but think Maliek was much closer to ready when we selected him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Maliek Collins was a third round draft pick. He was a starter in his rookie year and ended that year with five sacks.

When the hell did it become stupid to expect more from a second round pick than a third round pick?

Excuses don't excuse they just explain.

If we have to lower our expectations then what does that really say about Hill?
Exactly. These guys are simply making excuses for the draft room deciders.

kumizi

Reaction score
Marinelli is like 150 years old. He shouldn’t even be allowed to drive but we have a $5 billion company letting him make key decisions.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I agree too. The kid was a late 2nd rounder and he is only 21 years old. Darren Woodson was a second rounder and he didn't start his first year either, and he was taken 21 selections earlier.

Seems some have given up on Taco being a bust and found a new whipping boy.
Woodson contributed greatly in nickle his rookie season....Madden raved about him that year for his tackling and his hybrid Safety/LB ability.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Marinelli is like 150 years old. He shouldn’t even be allowed to drive but we have a $5 billion company letting him make key decisions.
I wonder what Marinelli drives...

nobody

Reaction score
Exactly. These guys are simply making excuses for the draft room deciders.

I think it's kinda dumb to assign someone as a bust when they haven't played a regular game yet, much less a first season. You know that a lot of the positions take longer adjustment periods than others. I have no idea what Hill will turn into, good or bad, but that's a position that takes time.

That being said, let's hope he develops faster and turns out well. Dallas can't afford defensive busts right now.

Jbone100

Reaction score
I can understand being disappointed with him so far but he has shown traits that should lead to making an impact down the road (athleticism, motor, intensity and toughness). May not sound like much but as far as 2nd round DTs go “traits” are about what you should expect to see at this point.

Strengths:
  • Explosiveness (both in terms of short area straight-line movement skills and lower body power)
  • Motor
  • Toughness/intensity
Negatives/areas for improvement:
  • Consistency with elementary fundamentals (playing w/leverage and knee bend). He has done much better with this lately.
  • Technique in block shedding (both against run and pass). Very common for a rookie DT but he has a long way to go.
  • Balance: dude ends up on the ground too often - this is tied to the first negative but as it improves, this will too.
  • Awareness/instincts: this seemed like a major weakness coming out of college but isn’t the most important thing you’re looking at in a DT coming out of college and he’s seemed to improve a lot in this area lately.
Synopsis:
A lot of room for improvement BUT that’s to be expected with a rookie DT and at this point the traits listed as strengths (which are hard to teach) are more predictive toward long term potential than the negatives which are admittedly very predictive toward immediate success but also pretty teachable over time. Bottom line: if Collins stays healthy this year, we’re perfectly ok if Hill is a low-impact rotational player in year 1. But he has the potential to be very good in the future.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
the lack of sophistication for many here is astounding.
some seem to forget that the decision makers are the same ones that JUST drafted players in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds that most are overhyping now.
yet they think they can read some draft website or draft rag and know better.
worse of all, they want to doom a player because he is not doing well in his first preseason when coaches like parcells say 3 years are needed to judge a draft.

there are plenty to complain about.
but the drafting by the cowboys have simply been outstanding.
seems like i need to add more to my ignore list :lmao:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think it's kinda dumb to assign someone as a bust when they haven't played a regular game yet, much less a first season. You know that a lot of the positions take longer adjustment periods than others. I have no idea what Hill will turn into, good or bad, but that's a position that takes time.

That being said, let's hope he develops faster and turns out well. Dallas can't afford defensive busts right now.
Agreed, Monkey. That's all we can do right now. Hope Trysten Hill develops faster than expected.

jnday

Reaction score
After last night, I saw him in but disappeared as usual. I don't know what they saw in him to be such an early pick.

..you guys seeing something else?
From what I have read, the safety prospects that Dallas passed over to draft this bum are playing very well and they are impressing the teams that drafted them. I guess Dallas was happy with Heath.