I grow more and more frustrated with Rod Marinelli

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
He’s a top defensive line coach, but that’s his ceiling. He shouldn’t be a substantial part in the talent evaluation process. I’m reminded of what Jimmy said about Butch Davis: “he never met a player he didn’t love.”

Haimerej

Reaction score
3.5 sacks for $20 million a year. Glad you're happy.

You think he didn't earn his contract? It's also telling that you can only pull up sack numbers for your criticism. Not exactly an in depth analysis.

Quinn was great before he evergot here. It's pathetic that you would now try to give Marinelli credit for his work.

Look up the word, "resurgence," and get back to me. As good as he is, he hasn't been this productive in years. You think Rod has nothing to do with that?

Is "contributor" now the limbo bar of expectations and attempted defense?

When discussing an undrafted FA who has become a starter? Yes. That's showing he can develop guys.

Who's that exactly? More fan fabrication?

Any one of the JAGs he's had to deal with since being here. Hayden, Crawford, Hatcher all had their best years under Rod. There's more but it's been a couple years since I've had to pull up those numbers.

Btw- what's with the, "more," regarding fabrication? Did I fabricate something?

And some fans will lie to themselves to make anything look better. Your post here is clear proof of that.

What lie? How ironic that you later bring up, "can't deal with the argument," nonsense when your response here has been nothing of substance.

What's truly "crazy" is how much the Homers whine when presented with truth that they don't like and can't handle.

You seem to be irritated. I like how you believe your opinion is, "truth," and people who disagree are worthy of namecalling. It's also funny to see you project your emotions onto a stranger.

Refute the points made. You can't so instead you resort to the sad practice of trying to "shoot the messenger". The usual homer approach.

As I recall, I was responding to CC's assertion that Rod was a beneficiary of good talent instead of actually being a good coach. I addressed his points. Now you're crying because I didn't address yours. Sorry little fella, but I just didn't think you were worth taking seriously. :thumbup:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
He’s a top defensive line coach, but that’s his ceiling. He shouldn’t be a substantial part in the talent evaluation process. I’m reminded of what Jimmy said about Butch Davis: “he never met a player he didn’t love.”

Is he though? Not 100% on that. Pretty sure I could have coached Sapp and Rice...

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After reflecting on yesterday's Jamal Adams trade deadline scramble, several things occurred to me.
  1. The idea that the Cowboys were willing to give up next year's 1st rounder as well as a 4th or 5th rounder for a safety represents a huge shift in prior thinking going back to the draft, when they passed on Juan Thornhill for everyone's favorite gameday inactive, Trysten Hill.
  2. Tyrone Crawford - after a poor start - is now on IR, along with the $10 million that the decision to keep him cost this team. His Cowboys career and NFL career entirely, likely over. And yet we heard and continue to hear how "valuable" and irreplaceable the guy was? Meanwhile, the defensive line continues to perform better when the guy isn't on the field?
  3. Taco Charlton. Exactly how many 2017 1st round picks have been released to this point without suspensions or injury being the reason? And again, who was it that overruled the scouts on draft day to draft Taco over TJ Watt.
With every one of these moves, and counter-moves needed as a result, I grow more and more frustrated with Rod Marinelli. I connect every one of this team's biggest faults, failings, and issues directly to decisions he was instrumental in making. And those are just the 'big three". We can also look at all of the disappointments that have come and go during his time here as well, like Cedric Thornton, Stephen Paea, Henry Melton, and plenty more.

I've simply had it with the guy and he's gone from being a top defensive line coach to a serious liability for this organization. They need to stop looking at the distant past and look at what this guy is doing now, and has done over the past several years here. Don't tell me about "Tampa and Chicago", tell me about "Dallas", that's the team I care about.

Like his mentor Monte Kiffin before him, this guy needs to go.

It's all about, as he even admits, Jerry's comfort. Winning is a nice to have, certainly not a must have.. Rod and Red will never make a waive and let Jerry play pretend head coach so they can stay as long as they'd like.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think he didn't earn his contract? It's also telling that you can only pull up sack numbers for your criticism. Not exactly an in depth analysis.

"Didn't earn"? Try "earning". Has he reached some "finish line" with you, where he can now sit back and coast because of what he's done in the past? You go ahead and pay for past performance. More excuses. Poor ones at that. Pull up whatever "stats" you feel helps your sad case. I won;t hold my breath.

Look up the word, "resurgence," and get back to me. As good as he is, he hasn't been this productive in years. You think Rod has nothing to do with that?

No I don't. He's been great for years, Rod doesn't "get credit" for that.

When discussing an undrafted FA who has become a starter? Yes. That's showing he can develop guys.

A guy who doesn't fit his mold at all either. A scrap heap player who is now 'the answer' here because Old Man River continues to neglect the position.

Any one of the JAGs he's had to deal with since being here. Hayden, Crawford, Hatcher all had their best years under Rod. There's more but it's been a couple years since I've had to pull up those numbers.

You do that. While keeping in mind that Hatcher was years ago and the other "JAG's" were here because Marinelli wanted them and kept them here. Dig that hole deeper.

Btw- what's with the, "more," regarding fabrication? Did I fabricate something?

Staring with your first post.

What lie? How ironic that you later bring up, "can't deal with the argument," nonsense when your response here has been nothing of substance.

You seem to be irritated. I like how you believe your opinion is, "truth," and people who disagree are worthy of namecalling. It's also funny to see you project your emotions onto a stranger.

Never mentioned namecalling. But I guess it's yet more "fabrication" on your part to attempt to divert from the truth. Second verse, same as the first.

As I recall, I was responding to CC's assertion that Rod was a beneficiary of good talent instead of actually being a good coach. I addressed his points. Now you're crying because I didn't address yours. Sorry little fella, but I just didn't think you were worth taking seriously. :thumbup:

More like my message was one that someone like you wasn't capable of addressing. But if you now want to run and hide, the door is always open. Run.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Marinelli is a bum 0-16 coach that was lucky enough to have 2 hall of fame players on his d line group. And don't tell me he made them great. Sapp could have went 1st overall in the draft if he didn't like to smoke weed. His college tape was insane.

Marinelli and richard should both be fired.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What the NFL said about Tyrone Crawford:

"Good versatility and leadership, definitely overpaid"

What CBZ posters said about Tyrone Crawford:

iu
Pretty much a spot on description.

Kaiser

Reaction score
No, your "shoot the messenger" attempt does, while being someone who wanted to keep the guy around. You try to take shots at others because you can't handle inconvenient truths. It happens all the time. Your failed attempt here being the most recent example.

It isn't "shoot the messenger", its "point out a good poster has a weird obsession with a backup DL".

iu

cowboygo

Reaction score
After reflecting on yesterday's Jamal Adams trade deadline scramble, several things occurred to me.
  1. The idea that the Cowboys were willing to give up next year's 1st rounder as well as a 4th or 5th rounder for a safety represents a huge shift in prior thinking going back to the draft, when they passed on Juan Thornhill for everyone's favorite gameday inactive, Trysten Hill.
  2. Tyrone Crawford - after a poor start - is now on IR, along with the $10 million that the decision to keep him cost this team. His Cowboys career and NFL career entirely, likely over. And yet we heard and continue to hear how "valuable" and irreplaceable the guy was? Meanwhile, the defensive line continues to perform better when the guy isn't on the field?
  3. Taco Charlton. Exactly how many 2017 1st round picks have been released to this point without suspensions or injury being the reason? And again, who was it that overruled the scouts on draft day to draft Taco over TJ Watt.
With every one of these moves, and counter-moves needed as a result, I grow more and more frustrated with Rod Marinelli. I connect every one of this team's biggest faults, failings, and issues directly to decisions he was instrumental in making. And those are just the 'big three". We can also look at all of the disappointments that have come and go during his time here as well, like Cedric Thornton, Stephen Paea, Henry Melton, and plenty more.

I've simply had it with the guy and he's gone from being a top defensive line coach to a serious liability for this organization. They need to stop looking at the distant past and look at what this guy is doing now, and has done over the past several years here. Don't tell me about "Tampa and Chicago", tell me about "Dallas", that's the team I care about.

Like his mentor Monte Kiffin before him, this guy needs to go.
To be honest, if we would have gone with Thornhill, the staff would have slowed him into the lineup, as they do with all defensive rookies barring any injuries. If Lee didn't get hurt last year, LVE would have been a rotational guy. Anthony Brown played his rookie year because of injuries, and Awuzie didn't replace until the final 5 games of the season. They baby all players, and slowly bring them into the lineup on the defensive side of the ball. I think this is a bigger issue than picking the wrong guy on draft day.

Zordon

Reaction score
I agree with most everything you said...I'll add though:

1. Crawford brings some value to the team. He's a swiss army knife with plus character that can do something the other DT's can't do, push the pocket from the inside. The organization is at fault for not reading the tea leaves in the offseason that it was very unlikely he would make it through the season without his hip issue flaring up. Broaddus has been talking about it for months on Talking Cowboys.

2. Marinelli is inept but so are the two previous DC's - Rob Ryan and Monte Kiffin. While teams like the 49ers are hiring bright, young defensive minds we have a decade long history of hiring old has beens who would never get a job anywhere else in the league. The management of the defense overall by this franchise has been an unmitigated disaster under Garrett's reign and I do not trust the Jones family to make the proper hire once they fire Garrett and this staff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be honest, if we would have gone with Thornhill, the staff would have slowed him into the lineup, as they do with all defensive rookies barring any injuries. If Lee didn't get hurt last year, LVE would have been a rotational guy. Anthony Brown played his rookie year because of injuries, and Awuzie didn't replace until the final 5 games of the season. They baby all players, and slowly bring them into the lineup on the defensive side of the ball. I think this is a bigger issue than picking the wrong guy on draft day.

Does it get "bigger than picking the wrong guy on draft day"?

Haimerej

Reaction score
"Didn't earn"? Try "earning". Has he reached some "finish line" with you, where he can now sit back and coast because of what he's done in the past? You go ahead and pay for past performance. More excuses. Poor ones at that. Pull up whatever "stats" you feel helps your sad case. I won;t hold my breath.

Lol. You love you some stats.

Of course he hasn't reached a finish line. But you're throwing a fit about sack totals over a handful of games. Have you been watching him? Are you seeing him, "sit back and coast"? He's not, in case you're wondering.

No I don't. He's been great for years, Rod doesn't "get credit" for that.

That's weird. I thought coaching mattered. Apparently players becoming more productive in DAL is just in spite of coaching. I mean, he hasn't reached 10 sacks in 4 years and has 6 in 5 games. I wonder how he would do if he actually had a good coach.

A guy who doesn't fit his mold at all either. A scrap heap player who is now 'the answer' here because Old Man River continues to neglect the position.

I'm confused. Your second sentence here sounds exactly like his mold in DAL.

You do that. While keeping in mind that Hatcher was years ago and the other "JAG's" were here because Marinelli wanted them and kept them here. Dig that hole deepe

Every team has JAGs. Marinelli works with what he has. He's not making final roster decisions. He's also shown he can develop players.

Staring with your first post.

Vagueness is your friend. Next time you're staring at it, try to find something specific.

Never mentioned namecalling. But I guess it's yet more "fabrication" on your part to attempt to divert from the truth. Second verse, same as the first.

Lol. I didn't say you mentioned namecalling. I said you were partaking in it. Keep up.

More like my message was one that someone like you wasn't capable of addressing. But if you now want to run and hide, the door is always open. Run.

Capability shouldn't be your concern, trust me. It's closer to not caring to address. Your tantrum here isn't exactly shouting, "I'm open to reasonable discussions."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with most everything you said...I'll add though:

1. Crawford brings some value to the team. He's a swiss army knife with plus character that can do something the other DT's can't do, push the pocket from the inside. The organization is at fault for not reading the tea leaves in the offseason that it was very unlikely he would make it through the season without his hip issue flaring up. Broaddus has been talking about it for months on Talking Cowboys.

To say nothing of the leverage they finally had in terms of his contract and dead money, as well as the fact that this "character guy" had an embarrassing off-filed issue. They had every chance to cut him and bring him back cheaper or not at all if they chose. They willingly passed. And got burned.

2. Marinelli is inept but so are the two previous DC's - Rob Ryan and Monte Kiffin. While teams like the 49ers are hiring bright, young defensive minds we have a decade long history of hiring old has beens who would never get a job anywhere else in the league. The management of the defense overall by this franchise has been an unmitigated disaster under Garrett's reign and I do not trust the Jones family to make the proper hire once they fire Garrett and this staff.

Sounds like another issue with Garrett. Jerry and son don't know good defensive coaches. And clearly Garrett doesn't either. So we get what we've gotten for years - disappointment.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Keep proving me right with each post.

You can't handle it if it isn't good news.

I had to see what this was about and I can see you are dealing with, in my opinion, the biggest jerks on this forum. I blocked all those guys. Complete waste of energy dealing with them.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nice failed attempt at oversimplification.

And I'm continuing to be right about it too. Don't omit that part of your equation while you try to "laugh off" yet more failure because it's an inconvenient truth that some - like yourself -can't handle.

I never said your entire argument was that he was hurt. You still are upset with him now being hurt nonetheless.

Right about what? I'll see your Taco and raise you DLaw, Smith, and LVE.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I had to see what this was about and I can see you are dealing with, in my opinion, the biggest jerks on this forum. I blocked all those guys. Complete waste of energy dealing with them.

Wait, you are renouncing your fandom of me? Doesn't that merit a seperate thread?

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
im afraid this is starting a new trend of getting rid of our first round picks to take players in positions we should have selected in the first place when the draft falls our way

I thought about this yesterday....I have mixed thoughts on it. While we know building through the draft is great, it comes with bust potential...would it be better to use a 1st on someone who's proven they are the real deal and still on a rookie contract?