I hope no one is truly panicking over these day one FA defections

Sydla

Reaction score
Nobody in their sane mind is expecting that.

More like thinking that Tapper and Lawrence will be healthy and that will help fill our need at DE. Jaylon Smith will be healthy to play the MIKE which will greatly help. And Kavon Frazier, who was scouted as being similar to Barry Church, but a much better athlete, could take over at Safety or they may put Heath in at SS.

But, if you want to cry over Church and T. McClain leaving and not overpaying for some FA that won't ever fulfill his contract and that philosophy creating the mess we have on defense to begin with...so be it.

I'd rather build our defense the way we built our offense.

YR

And you can still build the defense through the draft but you can also be a bit more active in FA and fill some immediate holes that likely aren't going to be filled through the draft. And not with bargain bin players either.

Some of you act like we are the Browns, in a rebuild mode. We were the #1 seed in the NFC last year (granted, I am not sure we were the best team in the NFC). This team can continue to build through the draft while also bringing in some key players that can help the current team.

It's very simple to me. When FA finally shakes out, will this team be better or worse than the one that took the field in 2016. I suspect it will be worse and they'll be counting on unproven players like Tapper and picks in this draft to make immediate impacts.

That's a risky proposition IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the point is to improve substantially to get to the superbowl.
not tread water.
there is no point to get to the playoffs knowing you will probably lose.
you are better off going 3-13.
then you can draft a war daddy and go to war.

Yeah, you're a real "patient fan" alright...
:rolleyes:

LittleD

Reaction score
And you can still build the defense through the draft but you can also be a bit more active in FA and fill some immediate holes that likely aren't going to be filled through the draft. And not with bargain bin players either.

Some of you act like we are the Browns, in a rebuild mode. We were the #1 seed in the NFC last year (granted, I am not sure we were the best team in the NFC). This team can continue to build through the draft while also bringing in some key players that can help the current team.

It's very simple to me. When FA finally shakes out, will this team be better or worse than the one that took the field in 2016. I suspect it will be worse and they'll be counting on unproven players like Tapper and picks in this draft to make immediate impacts.

You are right but, Jerry has always been a big risk taker. He wins some and loses some. We're fixin to find out how this
season shapes up.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Another lie proven. Just like "Carr asking for $8 million" Your bull**** is being exposed left and right.

no, you can google it right now and prove me wrong.
go ahead or are you afraid to find out the truth :rolleyes:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
And that offense was built over the course of several drafts. Not one.

Yes, so that's the way you build a side of the ball. Instead of trying to go thru FA where you almost always over-pay and has bitten us in the arse EVERY SINGLE TIME.

What's the definition of insanity?

YR

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Our approach with the defense, especially the pass rush.

Get cheap pass rushers, be disappointed with the result. Been going on for a few years now.

But this is the year we change all of that. And oh yeah, address the secondary that could be short even simple bodies for volume.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, so that's the way you build a side of the ball. Instead of trying to go thru FA where you almost always over-pay and has bitten us in the arse EVERY SINGLE TIME.

YR

You do realize there is a happy medium in FA, right? No, you don't have to spend elite money given the Cowboys situation. But then sitting on your hands for a week before you sift through the bargain bin isn't really helping either.

You know what's insane? Watching the team trot out inept pass rush after inept pass rush each year, watching your team get bounced in a playoff game because you couldn't generate pressure against an elite QB and then in the offseason, pretending like it's not a big issue and you'll just fix it with draft picks.

That's insane.

This is exactly why they should be looking at some older vets. Guys who are still productive, won't be expensive and won't tie up the cap for years. Bring in a Peppers should be a no brainer. He's apparently looking for short term deals now and will not cost a ton. He'd be an ideal addition to the team........... can still get after the QB, can mentor the young guys and he won't kill you cap wise.

But we won't sniff him. Well, maybe we will sniff around him if he's still sitting there 3 weeks from now.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good point, OP. I think we all want to create a dynastic environment around here. But in order to do that, we need to continue hitting BIG in the draft.

Ala the Seahawks... They were so great because they drafted really well and had lots of young, talented players who were playing on rookie contracts. That's the model we want to follow. But it's obviously easier said than done, because Jerry is prone to making chances in the draft.

After the last couple draft classes, if we can hit on 4-5 picks again this year --- watch out! Could be looking at a great 4-5 year window, given health.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

You almost always overpay in Free Agency. Especially on first day Free Agent signings which have historically been badly overpaid.

You build up the defense like you built the offense...thru the draft. You try to maximize your value because you have a cap floor and a cap ceiling, thus value becomes paramount.

We've tried to 'fill holes' on defense with FA and it continually bites us in the arse, but we are still expecting it to work which is ignorance at its finest.

Continue to build thru the draft, watch the defense get incrementally better and watch the offense still be strong enough to carry the defense, but an incrementally better defense and we'll have continue success and continue to make the playoffs each year. And when you continually make the playoffs, you increase your chances to win a Super Bowl. That beats getting bad value out of FA's that you need to perform well in the next 2 years and then all of those bad value deals add up and eventually you're not making the playoffs as often and you've lowered your chances of winning a Super Bowl.

YR