I hope no one is truly panicking over these day one FA defections

waldoputty

Reaction score
We haven't got our 90 players yet. We have a couple of defensive players coming back from injury. We will be clearing lots
of cap when Romo departs. Some are already giving up and we haven't even been to TC yet. Geez!

not giving up.
you can always get a surprise in the draft.
but you have not partaked in the most direct way to fix the defense, that is all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
at least 1 probowl fa - may be more.
you can call them average all you want.
the fact is that the FO laid down for 2017

The fact is that you're an internet guy trying to play GM.

Who's the "Pro Bowl FA" you're talking about? Again, it's just more of the "get somebody" mentality you have. You don't even know who you ant, you just want gratification.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Stats don't lie. Secondary horrendous? Absolutely but please enlighten me how 14th overall is atrocious or #1 against the run? Oh wait, those are just meaningless stats.

Do you classify Zeke and Daks as meaningless as well or do you only use stats when it's convenient or supports your view point?
So you would have been fine with bringing those guys back wholesale for another year? Status quo?

aria

Reaction score
i hate the fact we are not improving.
but they can easily replace those players next week.
the defense was 14th but lets get real about the fact that the offense carried the defense.
I agree...slightly. The offense helped the defense for sure but the offense wasn't out there stopping other teams from running the ball. Basically the defense was middle of the pack which isn't as bad as some people make it seem.

Sure there are plenty of areas of improvement, as there always will be, but to be so cocky that all these players are easily replaceable and will pick up right where they left off is ridiculous.

I'd love to see us improve against the run, does anyone think we'll do that well next year? Yeah, we'll just pick up a few scrub FA's and use our draft picks to put in a bunch of rookie starters to pick up right where we left off. Not happening.

The homerism here is absurd. GM's around the league find most of the players we lost worth several million and multi year contracts but according to all the experts here every single one of them over paid for an easily replaceable player.

I think I'll err on the side of statistics and professional owners/gm's that say the homers here are wrong.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If that's the case, he can go too. I can find a capable corner for far less. Have a link for that?

not now, just read it some where.
i am sure mcclay can find a serviceable corner that is a little worse than carr but much cheaper.

LittleD

Reaction score
we do not need the cap space from romo to sign fas.
the fas that the fo is targeting dont cost that much.
they can easily restructure tcrawford and dez for 13m
if the money is not used up, it rolls over to 2018.
they are simply waiting for the price to go down after the best FAs are signed and most of the $ that would be spent be spent.

Don't you get it. Stephen does not want to restructure Dez or TCrawford. Why create future cap problems freeing up money for
average players. Not going to happen. Take a chill.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
we do not need the cap space from romo to sign fas.
the fas that the fo is targeting dont cost that much.
they can easily restructure tcrawford and dez for 13m
if the money is not used up, it rolls over to 2018.
they are simply waiting for the price to go down after the best FAs are signed and most of the $ that would be spent be spent.
That too...But my statement also holds true.

LittleD

Reaction score
I agree...slightly. The offense helped the defense for sure but the offense wasn't out there stopping other teams from running the ball. Basically the defense was middle of the pack which isn't as bad as some people make it seem.

Sure there are plenty of areas of improvement, as there always will be, but to be so cocky that all these players are easily replaceable and will pick up right where they left off is ridiculous.

I'd love to see us improve against the run, does anyone think we'll do that well next year? Yeah, we'll just pick up a few scrub FA's and use our draft picks to put in a bunch of rookie starters to pick up right where we left off. Not happening.

The homerism here is absurd. GM's around the league find most of the players we lost worth several million and multi year contracts but according to all the experts here every single one of them over paid for an easily replaceable player.

I think I'll err on the side of statistics and professional owners/gm's that say the homers here are wrong.

Outside of Atlanta...Are any of those teams winning SB's. That's what I thought.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let's change this up. Blue Star, peruse the FA list and tell us who we could sign that would either be status quo or upgrade some of the positions we now have holes - DE, DT, CB, WR, S

waldoputty

Reaction score
Don't you get it. Stephen does not want to restructure Dez or TCrawford. Why create future cap problems freeing up money for
average players. Not going to happen. Take a chill.

Dont you get it.
Even if we restructure Dez and TCrawford, he does not have to use the money and it rolls over to the next year.

The reason Stephen does not want to restructure Dez and TCrawford prematurely is that it does not look good for the FO if there is a pile of cap space sitting around and they dont sign any big FAs.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Let's change this up. Blue Star, peruse the FA list and tell us who we could sign that would either be status quo or upgrade some of the positions we now have holes - DE, DT, CB, WR, S

I think that is where Mcclay his money.

aria

Reaction score
So you would have been fine with bringing those guys back wholesale for another year? Status quo?
Some of them yes but thats not even my point. My point is the defense overall (secondary needed a lot of work, I admit) wasn't near the disaster most here made it seem and this non chalant attitude of losing all these players is being understated IMO.

Not every player is going to be a pro bowler and to think we can easily fill these spots with minimal cap space and draft picks isn't likely to happen in one year. Hope I'm wrong.

LittleD

Reaction score
Dont you get it.
Even if we restructure Dez and TCrawford, he does not have to use the money and it rolls over to the next year.

The reason Stephen does not want to restructure Dez and TCrawford prematurely is that it does not look good for the FO if there is a pile of cap space sitting around and they dont sign any big FAs.

Okay...I'll say this one more time only. If there was still someone out there that Stephen and McClay thought would make a real difference to
our team next year you can bet they would be calling to bring them in. There isn't so no use worrying about the situation until you hear of someone
coming in for a visit. Now go take a rest. You have beaten this dead horse enough.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Right. So why is everyone so in need of crisis management? Does not compute.

it is not a crisis.
at least i did not say so.

my concern all along is improving the D so we have the best chance to go win it all.
signing FAs like the Pats did would be the most direct path.
now we have to hope the draft of 2017 turns out close to the draft of 2016, as unlikely as that may seem.
otherwise the D still be like what it has been, and most likely cause us to get bounced from the playoffs.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Okay...I'll say this one more time only. If there was still someone out there that Stephen and McClay thought would make a real difference to
our team next year you can bet they would be calling to bring them in. There isn't so no use worrying about the situation until you hear of someone
coming in for a visit. Now go take a rest. You have beaten this dead horse enough.

that we agree on. there is no use worrying about this most likely for another week.