I hope no one is truly panicking over these day one FA defections

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I challenge anyone to give me one name. Just one of any player we lost yesterday that's not replaceable. I'll wait.

Thanks.
I was just thinking about the players we lost before I got on here this morning, and seen this thread.

We expected to lose Leary, and we have Collins to replace him.
We were expecting to lose either Church or Wilcox or both. If both, we will still be ok. Fans that knock Wilcox will now have rue posts for not resigning him...LOL...
J. Crawford, good bye, I won't miss his 3 or 4 plays a year in lieu of a younger more talented player. And that is not a knock on him, I actually did not mind him, but time to move on.
T. McClain, as much as he made plays when healthy, e was not the difference maker we could find a replacement for. I liked him, but again, time to move on. I hope we find a healthy equal for him.

There are actually some more FA that are in the same situation. If we lose Carr and Mo, people been calling for this for years. Now they may get their wish, but won't like it when we do. And we do have Brown and Scandrick left on the roster. However, I would feel better if we signed one of them.

Escobar, Cooper, Dunbar, won't miss. Though I wouldn't mind seeing if Cooper is worth a shot.
Durant, wouldn't mind him back, but also time to move on, too many injuries there too, Gachkar, move on.

Only one I would really like back is McFadden. But even he can be replaced, but hopefully not by Dunbar.

waldoputty

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i made a genuine mistake.
be careful before calling people liars

Maybe it's you who should be "careful"? About making false claims.

Between this and your unsupported claim about "Carr wanting $8 million", you're 0 for 2.

LittleD

Reaction score
Nobody likes a liar. And it shouldn't be permitted.

Maybe he's just confused. It's pretty hard to read someone's mind and motivation on these boards.
Besides, if he doesn't want to improve his knowledge, soon no one will listen to him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
i made a genuine mistake.
be careful before calling people liars

Some posters get nervous when change is involved and there is not an already established picture of expectations.

Honest mistake...no foul, when talking about possibilities. That's why we talk about things.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Some of them yes but thats not even my point. My point is the defense overall (secondary needed a lot of work, I admit) wasn't near the disaster most here made it seem and this non chalant attitude of losing all these players is being understated IMO.

Not every player is going to be a pro bowler and to think we can easily fill these spots with minimal cap space and draft picks isn't likely to happen in one year. Hope I'm wrong.
That's the beauty of it. We won't know until weeks down the road. I would like to believe that we will execute a predetermined plan to improve our defense.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Our approach with the defense, especially the pass rush.

Get cheap pass rushers, be disappointed with the result. Been going on for a few years now.

But this is the year we change all of that. And oh yeah, address the secondary that could be short even simple bodies for volume.

Our approach is a 'win now' mentality that you endorse and it hasn't worked. And it doesn't work throughout the league, but you expect to do it and get a different result. That's insanity.

We signed Greg Hardy...and he didn't work out.

We drafted Randy Gregory and he's been suspended for more games than he has tackles.

We traded up to get DeMarcus Lawrence.

We signed Terrell McClain and Cedric Thornton.

We had to get Brandon Carr and signed him to an enormous deal.

I'd rather we stop making 'win now' moves and build the defense like we did the offense. Just like the Seahawks built their defense and just like how the Patriots built their defense, the same with the Cardinals.

YR

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All of our problems, solved. Honestly, he played really well with the face paint. And he's trying to make a comeback to football. Half-joking, Half-serious... I'd take him back.
1446251075-NS_26hardyLD04.jpg

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe he's just confused. It's pretty hard to read someone's mind and motivation on these boards.
Besides, if he doesn't want to improve his knowledge, soon no one will listen to him.

It's one thing to be "confused". That's fine. Double check your facts and your sources. He did neither and refused to support his claims. That's different from an honest mistake.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'd rather we stop making 'win now' moves and build the defense like we did the offense. Just like the Seahawks built their defense and just like how the Patriots built their defense, the same with the Cardinals.

This isn't about "winning now", it is being able to field a competitive defense now to build off a 13-3 season to go further in the playoffs.

This was not a "one player away" defense even last season. And there are numerous areas that need to be addressed.

And all three of these teams you mentioned have used free agency as a stop gap measure, so I really don't know what you think you are suggesting.

If anything we are taking the Green Bay approach, which is pure reliance on the draft for the most part.

LittleD

Reaction score
It's one thing to be "confused". That's fine. Double check your facts and your sources. He did neither and refused to support his claims. That's different from an honest mistake.

Ego plays a big part. It's hard for young guys to admit mistakes or back down from a closely held opinion sometimes.
I've been there. If we allow for a little grace, they eventually will see a better way to relate.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Let's change this up. Blue Star, peruse the FA list and tell us who we could sign that would either be status quo or upgrade some of the positions we now have holes - DE, DT, CB, WR, S
I may do that later if I have time...

But why change it up before fulfilling my basic request?

Again, name one player we lost yesterday that is not replaceable.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Maybe it's you who should be "careful"? About making false claims.

Between this and your unsupported claim about "Carr wanting $8 million", you're 0 for 2.

well here are 2 probowlers that were free agents: gilmore and whitworth
so is it you that need to be careful now?
oh and if you want to be extreme - c patterson.

waldoputty

Reaction score

it was a honest mistake.
i already gave you 2 and a half probowlers since.
the point is that there are good players available in FA, not just average.

Sydla

Reaction score

YR

2013 SB Seahawks team. In free agency they added:

- Cliff Avril
- Michael Bennett
- Tony McDaniel
- Antoine Winfield

Sydla

Reaction score
I may do that later if I have time...

But why change it up before fulfilling my basic request?

Again, name one player we lost yesterday that is not replaceable.

Technically no player is irreplaceable. We could lose Bryant tomorrow and then draft say Corey Davis and he turns into the next Bryant.

The question isn't whether or not we lost anyone who was irreplaceable. The real question is who are we getting to replace them?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Technically no player is irreplaceable. We could lose Bryant tomorrow and then draft say Corey Davis and he turns into the next Bryant.

The question isn't whether or not we lost anyone who was irreplaceable. The real question is who are we getting to replace them?

A question that's impossible to answer right now.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
This isn't about "winning now", it is being able to field a competitive defense now to build off a 13-3 season to go further in the playoffs.

This was not a "one player away" defense even last season. And there are numerous areas that need to be addressed.

And all three of these teams you mentioned have used free agency as a stop gap measure, so I really don't know what you think you are suggesting.

If anything we are taking the Green Bay approach, which is pure reliance on the draft for the most part.

When have the Seahawks used FA for a stop gap measure on defense? Brandon Browner?

If the Patriots use a stop gap measure, it's either thru a trade or a very short contract.

And we don't have a 'pure reliance on the draft' as I have mentioned players like T. McClain, Thornton, Ro. McClain, Carr, Hardy, Durant, Corey White, etc. That's a pure fallacy.

YR

Sydla

Reaction score
When have the Seahawks used FA for a stop gap measure on defense? Brandon Browner?

If the Patriots use a stop gap measure, it's either thru a trade or a very short contract.

And we don't have a 'pure reliance on the draft' as I have mentioned players like T. McClain, Thornton, Ro. McClain, Carr, Hardy, Durant, Corey White, etc. That's a pure fallacy.

YR

2013, their SB year. As I noted above.