I Like Beer A Lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
El Paso is awesome with amazing people.
Everyone would be surprised with how amazing it is.

I lived in L.A. for a decade and made not one good friend.
It was beautiful and action packed and I got in situations I can't even say here on several occasions.
But nobody was genuine. Not even in East L.A.. where people are simply trying to get by another day.
Nor in Inglewood, and heaven-forbid Compton... I have some really funny stories I might PM you about the silly things I got away with there... Goofy little white goober doing... awesomeness.

El Paso? Lovely. the population is 82-88% Mexican and not one person gives me ojo.
Going to Juarez is a joy. You never see cops here (except for El Segundo, but even that neighborhood is tame, compared to say... South-side Chicago), yet it's been one of the safest cities in America for years.
Even with Juarez connected...
Huh...

Living in the mountains here is half the price of living in the boring suburbs of Austin.

Sorry... I've lost myself. I love this city...

And the Main Reason is the people.
Beautiful, gorgeous, caring family people that only care about goodness in humans, not superficial things like color, race, or money.

Well... maybe not all, but I've never felt more comfortable with a population than I have this one.
Nobody hates you. Nobody labels you. You are welcome til you wear it out.

Dangit... still rambling.
I blame the music that's on!
Yeah, people out here are pricks, Corso. Surprising to hear it was that way for you in East Los, that's generally a tighter knit community. But for sure, people out here are shallow pricks by and large. It's especially more difficult to build friendships out here if you didn't go to grade school/high school out here. I've dropped so many blood sucker "friends" in the last decade.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
El Paso is awesome with amazing people.
Everyone would be surprised with how amazing it is.

I lived in L.A. for a decade and made not one good friend.
It was beautiful and action packed and I got in situations I can't even say here on several occasions.
But nobody was genuine. Not even in East L.A.. where people are simply trying to get by another day.
Nor in Inglewood, and heaven-forbid Compton... I have some really funny stories I might PM you about the silly things I got away with there... Goofy little white goober doing... awesomeness.

El Paso? Lovely. the population is 82-88% Mexican and not one person gives me ojo.
Going to Juarez is a joy. You never see cops here (except for El Segundo, but even that neighborhood is tame, compared to say... South-side Chicago), yet it's been one of the safest cities in America for years.
Even with Juarez connected...
Huh...

Living in the mountains here is half the price of living in the boring suburbs of Austin.

Sorry... I've lost myself. I love this city...

And the Main Reason is the people.
Beautiful, gorgeous, caring family people that only care about goodness in humans, not superficial things like color, race, or money.

Well... maybe not all, but I've never felt more comfortable with a population than I have this one.
Nobody hates you. Nobody labels you. You are welcome til you wear it out.

Dangit... still rambling.
I blame the music that's on!
Sounds like a great city, as cities go! I prefer to live in a more wooded area myself, and more secluded..........That's probably the misanthrope in me. :grin:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yeah, people out here are pricks, Corso. Surprising to hear it was that way for you in East Los, that's generally a tighter knit community. But for sure, people out here are shallow pricks by and large. It's especially more difficult to build friendships out here if you didn't go to grade school/high school out here. I've dropped so many blood sucker "friends" in the last decade.
TBH- you can't just walk in, as a white guy, no matter how charming you are, or how altruistic your aims and just be accepted.
It takes years.
I had years in Austin. I'm still known in the Dove and I haven't been there in almost 8 years.

But yeah... it's to tough to build a genuine relationship over there.
Here? Oh my gosh. People are amazing, when they want to be amazing...

I'll never leave. You couldn't pry me from here. This is my Eden.

Corso

Reaction score
Sounds like a great city, as cities go! I prefer to live in a more wooded area myself, and more secluded..........That's probably the misanthrope in me. :grin:
I hear you...
I've always been a mountain guy and this gives me what I want without humidity. Or earthquakes.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
TBH- you can't just walk in, as a white guy, no matter how charming you are, or how altruistic your aims and just be accepted.
It takes years.
I had years in Austin. I'm still known in the Dove and I haven't been there in almost 8 years.

But yeah... it's to tough to build a genuine relationship over there.
Here? Oh my gosh. People are amazing, when they want to be amazing...

I'll never leave. You couldn't pry me from here. This is my Eden.
Right on, man. I'm so very happy you found happiness, Corso. Rock on, my brother. :star::star::star:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I concur :thumbdown:

Want to thrive in LA, bring in your own friends :muttley:

waldoputty

Reaction score
I hear you...
I've always been a mountain guy and this gives me what I want without humidity. Or earthquakes.

portugal gives u dry weather on the ocean without the earthquake threat if you are in the northern portion.

Corso

Reaction score
portugal gives u dry weather on the ocean without the earthquake threat if you are in the northern portion.
Yeah, you got me thinking...
My wife wants our next big vacay to be Iceland.
She was a geologist there, on assignment for a bit, and she wants to show it off to me.
I'm thinking of edging Portugal in instead. Throw me some good help bro.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yeah, you got me thinking...
My wife wants our next big vacay to be Iceland.
She was a geologist there, on assignment for a bit, and she wants to show it off to me.
I'm thinking of edging Portugal in instead. Throw me some good help bro.

note that i have been to neither and both are on my bucket list.
i am actually seriously considering portugal as a place to spend a couple months a year.

not much geologically to compare with iceland and its volcanic nature.

the fish (grouper, etc) selection in portugal is amazing.
i love portugese food, and i would guess icelandic food is bland.
porto (wine named after it or vv), largest city in the north, is supposed to be similar to san francisco.
southern portugal is supposed to have amazing beaches and many foreigners retire there
both lisbon and porto are on the railway, so you could easily go to additional places such as barcelona.

on the practical front, portugal is a very good value place to retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.