I like what i saw from Lance

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Lance has played with the 1s at SF.

He has a 2-2 career record.

Lance isn’t a rookie.

But he needs more reps with our 1s

The kid is gifted.
Yes. SF played him ”with the 1s”. The Cowboys, don’t. If he’s the most “gifted” quarterback that ever lived the Cowboys will apparently never know. They are either too scared to entrust their fortunes on the field to him when it gets real, or they know better. The fact they’ve not signed him to any kind of deal beyond this season, and he’d come cheap right now, indicates the Cowboys know better. Zach Wilson, drafted ahead of Lance, looked better for Denver last week than your “phenom” looked, and he’s likely to get cut. You do the math.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes. SF played him ”with the 1s”. The Cowboys, don’t. If he’s the most “gifted” quarterback that ever lived the Cowboys will apparently never know. They are either too scared to entrust their fortunes on the field to him when it gets real, or they know better. The fact they’ve not signed him to any kind of deal beyond this season, and he’d come cheap right now, indicates the Cowboys know better. Zach Wilson, drafted ahead of Lance, looked better for Denver last week than your “phenom” looked, and he’s likely to get cut. You do the math.
Pretty sure the Niners know.

stinkface

Reaction score
Crappy video.
K
Tony Romo was 26 before he made his first start, he had a good career. Lance is only 24.
I saw Tony in training camp as a rookie. He was the most accurate QB in training camp as an undrafted free agent. It wasn't even close. Quincy was the starter. Chad Hutchinson the number 2, and Clint Stoner the number 3. Romo was the number 4. He stood out as far as having superior accuracy and touch. The other player that stood out was Jason Witten. He was a stud.

Chasing6

Reaction score
K

I saw Tony in training camp as a rookie. He was the most accurate QB in training camp as an undrafted free agent. It wasn't even close. Quincy was the starter. Chad Hutchinson the number 2, and Clint Stoner the number 3. Romo was the number 4. He stood out as far as having superior accuracy and touch. The other player that stood out was Jason Witten. He was a stud.
Tony played in HS and College.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Tony Romo was 26 before he made his first start, he had a good career. Lance is only 24.
Romo was head and shoulders above Lance. He had a lot more experience a day his throwing fundamentals were good. He was a bit of a gun slinger and something Lance is very shy about. Not a fair comparison to Romo.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I have to admit i was very surprised by all the negative threads and posts about Lance. I was irritated because i liked what i saw from him.

I can understand that some were disappointed. But i think those people are not aware where Lance does come from - how his career looked so far. So let me clarify a bit, maybe you all will change your opinion.

Trey Lance has essentially no game experience at the position. He made a very quick jump from college to the pros.

colllege career:

1. year: redshirted it
2. year: Lance played his only season in college. He broke several records.
3. year: The season was postponed becasue of COVID. He played only one game. When the season was scheduled to be continued in early 2021 Lance opted to declare for the NFL draft.

NFL career:

2021: He was drafted and was 2nd QB in that season. Never was the starter and sat behind Garappolo. He took over for an injured Garappolo. Got injured himself in that game. Essentially he was the no 2 QB and had only a few plays that season.
2022: Starter over Garappolo. Season ending ankle injury during week 2. Needed two surgeries. In 2022 Purdy took over and led the 49ers to the NFC Championship game
2023: Lance got traded to us also because the 49ers found themself their franchise qb.

Conclusion:

So Lance played essentially 16 Games (+3 in those other 2 seasons) during his college career.
Then in the NFL has basically no (~ 3 games) experience.

Lance was a high draft pick that cost the 49ers a lot. The 49ers found a gem with Purdy. So their investment for Lance can be projected on Purdy. They have what they want, for them it doesnt matter for whom they invested their picks.

Lances career can be compared to the late career with the career ending injury of Tony Romo: Romo got hurt, Dak was found by Dallas and Dallas never looked back. Same with the 49ers with Purdy and Lance.

What did i see, what did i like:

So now that we all know how little experience Lance has i was surprised how positive he looked during the game.

- I think he controlled the play calls very well
- he also audibled some. Which i didnt expect him to be able to do. He looked in control during those times.
- He looked calm during passing downs. managed the pocket well. He showed some jitters but so few that i also was surprised by his calmness.
- Some throws were overthrown, but they were still good reads. Not being able to read a defense is hard to teach or takes at least some time (just look at our "best shape of my life" QB). I was surprised he seems to be able to do that with that less of experience.
- That overthrow stuff to me right now is less concerning. Will he do it in half a year ask me again about it.
- the guy makes throwing look so natural and easy. I havent seen that in an QB for quite some time.
- i like the way he buys time in the pocket. It looks like he needs just two steps to find himself outside the tackle box and have bought him enough time to find a free receiver. That you cant teach in my opinion.
- the guy is a real threat in the running game.

Overall i liked what i have seen from Lance. I never expected him to be near a nfl starting level. I read so much negativ stuff during last season and this off season about his development. But nothing seems to be really true after this first ps game. I am really looking forward watching him in game 2.
He's probably the most fluid, athletic quarterback I have ever seen. If he can get his accuracy down he is going to be very dangerous.

sbark

Reaction score
Maybe this is wrong. Not sure:

[Branch] Trey Lance pass attempts: Marshall (Minn.) High School: 322, North Dakota State: 318, 49ers: 71, Total: 711.​

We dont know who was in front of him in High School
At Ndsu... it was Easton Stick & Carson Wentz
Two Qb still in the Nfl today.

Then he lost a yr to the covid scam.
He shouldve stayed under Randy Hedberg
He shouldve been tightening up mechanics every offseason.

Maybe he can make Olympics in the flag football new events... he can move like only a few others.

Lets see if he can make even a small jump from rams to raiders... then there is hope

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Maybe he can make Olympics in the flag football new events... he can move like only a few others.

Lets see if he can make even a small jump from rams to raiders... then there is hop
The very definition of a Phenom.

They are young and they advance quickly.

Cooper Rush has to be feeling the pressure.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Lets see if he can make even a small jump from rams to raiders... then there is hope
Hope for what team? He is a FA at the end of the year.