I think a lot of people are taking the Dak friendly as “dumbed down”

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Well anything for Dak needs to be dumbed down.
You didnt read anything OP said. Its not dumbed down, its a different philosophy. Listen to the Lamb interview, he explains that Dak actually has more responsibility. So please explain to us, how would that would be considered dumbing down?

Last edited:

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s what the Cowboys are trying to get across. Moore’s vertical based offense had wr and the qbs both make adjustments while running 25 yards down the field only to lead to a pick because one or both were often not reading the same thing from the defense. McCarthys offense is going to contain most of the verbiage in the play call telling the qb and wrs where to be. Daks job is to get the ball out in the 10-15 yard range letting the wr or rb take the ball up the field horizontally. The ball comes out quickly on a step count limiting the turnovers. He’s going to have more time to read the defense upfront and based on his initial look and how the defense lines up the qb and wrs know what side of the field to target. Instead of a bunch of cues the wrs will be focused on their breaks and how many steps to take then break. The qb will be focused on how many steps until the ball comes out and throwing to a spot. Everything is timed planned and must go off on a certain step count.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
It's NEVER the players fault.
It's ALWAYS the coaches fault.
This year, you're going to find out what a dummy MM really is.
The man can't even manage the clock and you want him to call the plays. Good luck with that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe,
The "Bash Dak over Dallas" crowd are not smart enough to understand what it actually means. Maybe some one can "dumb it down" for them to understand.
Oh, I am sorry .... maybe they can explain it to them if they will actually listen and learn if simplified. I should have phrased it this way instead.
:lmao2:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak friendly should never have been used. Same with Romo friendly.

How does someone not automatically thing it means "dumbing down"?????
Part of me hated Jerry said that the other part of me doesn’t feel like what Jerry says in these pressers hold any weight. That stupid “friendly” term. It doesn’t mean dumbing down it should mean catering to your best players strengths.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak friendly should never have been used. Same with Romo friendly.

How does someone not automatically thing it means "dumbing down"?????
Hey it's not the players fault that people make up words and names for things the coaches are just simply trying to change the offense to more fit their talent trying to make what they have more successful.. Just because social media and other people coin terms for it doesn't matter what does it really matter I mean these are narratives being brought up by fans mostly people who don't like certain players so they're gonna make comments that are not true....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Maybe,
The "Bash Dak over Dallas" crowd are not smart enough to understand what it actually means. Maybe some one can "dumb it down" for them to understand.
Oh, I am sorry .... maybe they can explain it to them if they will actually listen and learn if simplified. I should have phrased it this way instead.
:lmao2:
Technically it's not even being simplified it's being changed they're trying to make enough changes to the offense to better fit all the talent better utilize what they have as opposed to force the players into doing what the coordinators want and what the scheme wants they're tweaking the scheme to fit the players that's not simplified that's not being dumbed down that's making adjustments to be more efficient. We've seen it work both ways we have had the number one scoring offense more than a couple of times even last year post broken hand Prescott was putting up big numbers in red zone scoring overall scoring third down percentage he wasn't having a big problem the problem was the miscommunications between him and the receivers and at times the play calling made no sense.. So they decided to make a lot of changes in order to make this less of an issue.

The team still needs to function efficiently they need to block well they need to run the proper routes the running backs need to do their jobs and the play calls need to be more like chess and less like checkers and take advantage of the defense and then yes the quarterback needs to follow through...

I think we all understand this thing wasn't that broken there was just a handful of play that stuck out the rest of the year because we saw the interceptions we saw some of the stalled drives and the lack of scoring against the 49ers and whatnot but it didn't need to be that changed I mean if you look at where we were in total scoring we moved the ball pretty efficiently injuries took more of a toll on this team on offense especially upfront shuffling the offensive line Tony Pollard getting hurt twice zeke getting hurt it just didn't look good going into the 49er game they just weren't on their A game.

phildadon86

Reaction score
RPO days are behind Dak. Athleticism gone for the most part. Too bad bc that offense was one he could understand and make quick decisions. Dak needs a boss run game or at least the threat of it. Cue up the stat where Dallas runs for 100 yards and 4 is nearly undefeated. 160 million reasons why you could have drafted another guy who could win with a successful running game.
That stat has been blown out of the water countless times.

ALL TEAMS minus ones QBd by Mahomes need a run game to win. So stop bringing that nonsense up.

There are a lot of things to complain about when it comes to Dak. That isnt one of them.

TheCritic

Reaction score
I get that there is a bias towards Dak. In this case, the OP makes a point that Dak gets singled out where every QB in the league has their offense tailored to their strength to some degree. But make no mistake, the Dak defenders are the ones making more noise and setting up one strawman after another.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I watched last year teams like the eagles and giants run read option plays 50% of the time, and it worked. If something works for us then do it, who cares if it's dumbed down. As a matter of fact I woulda have loved to see dak not throwing the ball on the 2nd and 2 int before halftime against SF.

Run whatever gets us points. Until the defense adjust then run something else. We should be using more read option stuff because dak has shown he can do it, and it works for this offense. Even just once a drive to pickup a key first down and keep the chains moving.
The Eagles and Giants ran college offenses. So a pro style offense based on Bill Walsh and Air Coryell is dumbing down the offense? :huh: Dak runs the most sophisticated offense in the division and it’s not close.

Toro9

Reaction score
Well, isn't that dumbed down? On 3 or 5- step drops the only routes that end that quickly are slants, crosses, outs and screens. Unless I'm just interpreting it wrong, which may be the case, I realize.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Mike McCarthy taking about how the offensive playbook is different this year under new OC Brian Schottenheimer.

• Mentions how in Green Bay, Brett Favre
didn’t like pre-snap movement because he knew what he wanted to do once he read the defense pre-snap. Talks about how Aaron Rodgers got to a point where he felt the same about motioning receivers.

• Dak Prescott is one of the better QB’s in the NFL when it comes to reading a defense pre-snap. Going into year eight, everyone is saying Dak Prescott will have more freedom to run the offense how he sees it.

I’m super excited about this season and about the experience that Schottenheimer brings to this offense #Cowboys

BermyStar

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing OP. Many do believe it means dumbed down... many also said the same about Romo friendly.

plasticman

Reaction score
Hopefully, the emphasis will be on more running with "opportunistic" passing situations.

That is, less passing on 3rd and long, more passing on 2nd and 3rd going short.

The better the running attack, the more Dak friendly type of offense. They can use the running game to set up the long passes to Lamb and Cook.

The defense should make the offense more Dak friendly as well by keeping the scoring down and giving the offense better field position. This would lessen the number of situations in which the offense falls behind and must catch up in the 2nd half.

They should limit the passing to 30 or less attempts. Again, the Cowboys are 27-1 when Dak throws 28 or less passes.

It is no coincidence that Tony Romo was the #1 ranked quarterback in passer rating the only time in his career in 2014. That was the same season Murray broke the Cowboys single season rushing record. It was also the least number of passes Romo threw when playing an entire season.

The term "Dak friendly offense" isn't a specific assortment of plays. It is a philosophical strategy to reduce the pressure and stress on the QB by reducing the number of critical and game deciding plays placed on his shoulders. Obviously, they can be reduced but not eliminated.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Good post:
I do miss the '90's when Larry Allen would announce to the defense where Emmitt was going to run, and Emmitt would run there anyway and defenses couldn't stop it lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Mike McCarthy taking about how the offensive playbook is different this year under new OC Brian Schottenheimer.

• Mentions how in Green Bay, Brett Favre
didn’t like pre-snap movement because he knew what he wanted to do once he read the defense pre-snap. Talks about how Aaron Rodgers got to a point where he felt the same about motioning receivers.

• Dak Prescott is one of the better QB’s in the NFL when it comes to reading a defense pre-snap. Going into year eight, everyone is saying Dak Prescott will have more freedom to run the offense how he sees it.

I’m super excited about this season and about the experience that Schottenheimer brings to this offense #Cowboys

It's brief but very informative interview segment of Mike McCarthy. Thanks for posting.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Well, isn't that dumbed down? On 3 or 5- step drops the only routes that end that quickly are slants, crosses, outs and screens. Unless I'm just interpreting it wrong, which may be the case, I realize.
You don't worry about level of difficulty. You go with what works for your personnel.