I think a lot of people are taking the Dak friendly as “dumbed down”

Mannix

Reaction score
It's 100% fact that Dak does NOT process things quickly, and does need a dumbed down offense....but to his credit, I do not think that Dak is lazy. HOWEVER, Fat Mike is lazy....it was ZERO shock to me when he came out with the "we'll be running it more" statement weeks ago.....what that really means, is that I am too lazy, and probably not smart enough to come up with any new schemes....he will bring NOTHING to the offense.....put that in three (3) inch bold letters as well. That lying con man should have been axed 1 minute after the first SF playoff loss.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think that’s what the Cowboys are trying to get across. Moore’s vertical based offense had wr and the qbs both make adjustments while running 25 yards down the field only to lead to a pick because one or both were often not reading the same thing from the defense. McCarthys offense is going to contain most of the verbiage in the play call telling the qb and wrs where to be. Daks job is to get the ball out in the 10-15 yard range letting the wr or rb take the ball up the field horizontally. The ball comes out quickly on a step count limiting the turnovers. He’s going to have more time to read the defense upfront and based on his initial look and how the defense lines up the qb and wrs know what side of the field to target. Instead of a bunch of cues the wrs will be focused on their breaks and how many steps to take then break. The qb will be focused on how many steps until the ball comes out and throwing to a spot. Everything is timed planned and must go off on a certain step count.
I think you are dumbing it down really. By making it more complicated then what it is.

Brevity is the engine of wit.

of course, your readers might be dumbed down too. So....

say it in one sentence. Surely that is possible?

clff15701

Reaction score
I think you are dumbing it down really. By making it more complicated then what it is.

Brevity is the engine of wit.

of course, your readers might be dumbed down too. So....

say it in one sentence. Surely that is possible?
Instead of throwing 25 yard verticals that don’t work we are throwing short slants,screens,etc to get our wrs the ball in open space .

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s what the Cowboys are trying to get across. Moore’s vertical based offense had wr and the qbs both make adjustments while running 25 yards down the field only to lead to a pick because one or both were often not reading the same thing from the defense. McCarthys offense is going to contain most of the verbiage in the play call telling the qb and wrs where to be. Daks job is to get the ball out in the 10-15 yard range letting the wr or rb take the ball up the field horizontally. The ball comes out quickly on a step count limiting the turnovers. He’s going to have more time to read the defense upfront and based on his initial look and how the defense lines up the qb and wrs know what side of the field to target. Instead of a bunch of cues the wrs will be focused on their breaks and how many steps to take then break. The qb will be focused on how many steps until the ball comes out and throwing to a spot. Everything is timed planned and must go off on a certain step count.
For whatever reason, Dak and the assorted WRs that have come thru here are not on the same page,,, blame it on the systems over the years from of Garrett, Linnehan, Moore for being too complicated or blame it on the WRs or blame it on Dak but in any event dumbing it down apparently needs to be done.

Shane612

Reaction score
If it's being dumbed down, I guess that timing pass for 10-15 yards that Aikman and Irvin used to do all the time is out of the question.

Reaction score
If it's being dumbed down, I guess that timing pass for 10-15 yards that Aikman and Irvin used to do all the time is out of the question.
Well now we're venturing into the question of correct reads and accuracy. Could be that dak does better on the short throws with a little added practice,,, west coast thrives when you can hit those receivers in stride...

Jarntt

Reaction score
Sorry but the offense is going to be dumbed down if that’s the term you want. I choose to use simplified. We were not able to run it to its full extent. it wasn’t just Dak.it was the receivers as well. The offense was based on everyone making multiple reads pre and post snap and then the routes might change based on those and both QB and receiver needed to make the same read to be in sync. I believe that was a big part of the confusion we saw. I think it was overly confusing and at times there wasn’t time to execute it. Use dumbed down if you want but that’s just giving a negative connotation to what I think is a good change for this team. I also think it asked Dak to make some throws and reads that weren’t his biggest strengths. I think the offense we will run this year is a much better fit for Dak. I think his accuracy and his reads will benefit. That isnt an insult and especially not if he and the team improve in it.

Shane612

Reaction score
Well now we're venturing into the question of correct reads and accuracy. Could be that dak does better on the short throws with a little added practice,,, west coast thrives when you can hit those receivers in stride...
Wasn't the criticism that the offense is too basic and predictable?
West coast, or whatever....must move the chain and score.
Those timing throws were virtually unstoppable.

Reaction score
Wasn't the criticism that the offense is too basic and predictable?
West coast, or whatever....must move the chain and score.
Those timing throws were virtually unstoppable.
The coaches certainly have received plenty of blame and pink slips over the years. People complained when we had a great OL and ran the ball now we want to do more of it and wished we had a better OL.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
It's NEVER the players fault.
It's ALWAYS the coaches fault.
This year, you're going to find out what a dummy MM really is.
The man can't even manage the clock and you want him to call the plays. Good luck with that.
Sirianni is the best in clock management. Hurts is just so dreamy. absolute best. he outplayed Mahomes in the superbowl

but eagles are over rated this year. I think they come crashing down.

:muttley:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Correct, Moore was taking the ball up the field 25 to 30 yards vertically. The WCO is taking the ball horizontal in the 10-15 range with much more of an emphasis on fundamentals and letting the WRs run after the catch…
I don't think there is pure this or pure that any more. its all a blend of offenses evolving over time. MM perhaps will inject elements of WCO, but its not going to be purely WCO ala niners ran it in the niners, because that offense wouldn't work today. it has evolved. and MM has said about 70% of the offense will stay the same. I think Moore's problem wasn't the design or scheme itself, but his game day play calling lacked, his game management lacked. MM is changing the offense to what he is more comfortable with , as he himself said, he didn't get involve in the offense when Moore was here.

the biggest challenge for Moore was the route combinations he called and often very confusing. running 4 WR on a curl route at the same depth. often running two WRs in the same area, hoping it confuses the defense. although Moore liked to go deep often, he didn't attack the defense in all the passing zones and thus didn't stress the defense. it relied a lot on execution of the players as oppose to play design. the offense suffered with all the back up QBs, but Dak made it work for him. I think it will be refreshing to not see random pass calls. or two WRs running towards each other or all WRs running a go route.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
RPO days are behind Dak. Athleticism gone for the most part. Too bad bc that offense was one he could understand and make quick decisions. Dak needs a boss run game or at least the threat of it. Cue up the stat where Dallas runs for 100 yards and 4 is nearly undefeated. 160 million reasons why you could have drafted another guy who could win with a successful running game.
well, we see this very offense and the very same players without Dak and how the offense struggled. struggled a lot no matter who they plugged in. so yeah, you would be wrong.

p.s.
95% of QBs in the league need a strong running game for them to succeed. perhaps Rodgers (when a little younger) and Mahomes are exception. but yeah, I get your agenda.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well anything for Dak needs to be dumbed down.
there are so many layers of dumbness in this post that reveals so much about you. just one single statement bears you to the entire internet.

you are probably a lonely old man, miserable, angry, mumbling. posting troll comments after troll comments with things that are beyond....beyond. I don't know what levels of dumbness.

you have never posted anything actually football related. made an actual football comment. its all TMZ. desperate for attention comments.

this is not about defending Dak. at the end of the day he has forgotten more about football than you have ever learned or know about football. I think Quincy carter who smoked it up has forgotten 100 time more about football than you understand about the game.

grow up old man. grow up. go to an elder care center where ever you are and socialize with some older folks and get yourself back together. living in anger and being lonely is not good for you. no one in life owes you anything. stop being so angry and miserable.