I think Choice and Barber are both out of here

Stautner

Reaction score
stasheroo;3939539 said:
Personally, I think folks are grasping at straws trying to justify why the team isn't playing the team's best running back.

The same way folks try to justify bad draft picks when they happen or other bad personnel decisions.

They switch-off and defer to the team and state that they 'know better than we do'.

Easier than thinking for themselves I guess.

I think it's easily acceptible for fans to have varying opinions about Choice as a RB - that's pretty much the case with every player. I just get put off when people just blantatly make up BS and present it as known fact to support their belief. All that does is make their opinion worthless drivel because it's based on nonsense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;3939539 said:
Personally, I think folks are grasping at straws trying to justify why the team isn't playing the team's best running back.

The same way folks try to justify bad draft picks when they happen or other bad personnel decisions.

They switch-off and defer to the team and state that they 'know better than we do'.

Easier than thinking for themselves I guess.

Would not say they know better than we do as much as I would say the only opinion that matters will be Garretts. I don't know if there is an issue or not with Jason and Choice what I do know is if Choice does not fit into what Garrett is looking for them we need to move on with guys who do fit

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Letting Choice go at this point would be a huge mistake.

With Barber practically on his way out because of salary and lack of production, that would leave Felix, Choice and Murray.

OK, if Choice is shown the door that leaves Felix and Murray. And if Murray don't work out we are suddenly in desperate straits of Megellan and I won't be chillin if Felix turns a anklete.

Face it: Felix and Choice are our RB studs, like it or not, until Murray can develop. If he develops.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3939500 said:
Choice could probably fetch a 3rd in a trade. I would rather him be on the team, however.

Who do you think he is? Dexter Coakley?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stautner;3939542 said:
I think it's easily acceptible for fans to have varying opinions about Choice as a RB - that's pretty much the case with every player. I just get put off when people just blantatly make up BS and present it as known fact to support their belief. All that does is make their opinion worthless drivel because it's based on nonsense.

I just find it maddening to see the level of fabricated information thrown out there regarding Choice in an attempt to defend what is otherwise an inexplicable decision.

Choice has been this team's most steadily-productive running back for the past two season when given the opportunity but folks around here are quick to jettison him based on no reliable evidence. They simply make an attempt to justify the team's use of a 3rd round pick on another running back.

The team drafts a running back, must mean Choice is bad and needs to go.

I mean the team can't ever make a bad decision, right?

People can spin things in whatever direction they'd like, but the pattern is clear. Since Emmitt Smith's departure, this team has no clue who or what it wants at the running back position.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
stasheroo;3939562 said:
I just find it maddening to see the level of fabricated information thrown out there regarding Choice in an attempt to defend what is otherwise an inexplicable decision.

Choice has been this team's most steadily-productive running back for the past two season when given the opportunity but folks around here are quick to jettison him based on no reliable evidence. They simply make an attempt to justify the team's use of a 3rd round pick on another running back.

The team drafts a running back, must mean Choice is bad and needs to go.

I mean the team can't ever make a bad decision, right?

People can spin things in whatever direction they'd like, but the pattern is clear. Since Emmitt Smith's departure, this team has no clue who or what it wants at the running back position.

I have a lot of man love for this post.
Pls allow me to cosign.
:bow:

Stautner

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;3939553 said:
Letting Choice go at this point would be a huge mistake.

With Barber practically on his way out because of salary and lack of production, that would leave Felix, Choice and Murray.

OK, if Choice is shown the door that leaves Felix and Murray. And if Murray don't work out we are suddenly in desperate straits of Megellan and I won't be chillin if Felix turns a anklete.

Face it: Felix and Choice are our RB studs, like it or not, until Murray can develop. If he develops.

I agree - it doesn't make sense to assume Murray can step in - much higher draft picks and much higher rated prosepcts have failed to meet expecations and hopes. Choice is still necessary insurance for another year.

if Murray pans out this discussion can be revisited next year, but for now Choice is needed to make sure our ***** are covered at RB.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
I still think that the odds of Choice being on this team on 9/11 are slim to none. Ofcoarse an injury during camp could change that, but barring something of that order I doubt Choice plays in Dallas in 2011. I think that Choice is a role player at best because he excels at nothing. He doesn't have great speed, he isn't the greatest blocker and he doesn't have the softest hands or the intagibles/heart of an Emmitt Smith. I think Choice is the proverbial "jack of all trades and master of none".

Craig

Derinyar

Reaction score
We don't use our best back enough? True we need to get Felix, our most productive back, more carries.

Choice is a nice RB, not a great RB, probably not a starting level RB. I think he has pissed off the coaching staff behind the scenes, which I would bet is from a big time attitude. The team in general might be better with Choice on the team from a talent stand point, but if the Head Coach doesn't want him on the team then I don't want him either. Now that is an assumption, but then again so are the people crying about why we aren't using the best RB on our team, as there is very little if any evidence out side of a couple of games 3 years ago that says Choice is our best RB.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I don't think it is true that Choice is a much better running back than Garrett and the Cowboys apparently believe him to be.

But even if Choice is better, he isn't of much use to the team given how 1) the team doesn't value him enough to use him and 2) he's not a special teams asset.

Yeah, could be that in some sort of disaster scenerio the team would rue cutting ties with Choice, but I doubt it. It is pretty clear that Garrett dislikes / distrusts something about Choice's game.

IMO, the Cowboys would be better off with a scrub 3rd stringer who can pick up the blitz, catch a checkdown, and contribute on special teams. That's the kind of guy who Garrett seems to really want.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
stasheroo;3939539 said:
Taking out short yardage runs, because they both artificially lower Choice's average and increase his TD opportunities...

Choice: 72 touches/targets, 327 yards, 4.5 avg, 2td
Jones: 225 touches/targets, 1,211 yards, 5.4 avg, 2td

The back with the most playing time is also the most productive back.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
rynochop;3936347 said:
Choice I dont trust, never been enamored with his play, and he fumbles too much, will never get over the week one fumble to the Skins, even though he should have never had the ball

He has fumbled once as a pro.

If he is not here this season, it's because of something off the field, not on the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
percyhoward;3939668 said:
Taking out short yardage runs, because they both artificially lower Choice's average and increase his TD opportunities...

I was hoping you would chime into this conversation as I am a big fan of your work.

I have to ask, where did you get those numbers?

Derinyar

Reaction score
percyhoward;3939668 said:

I'd still like to see that number go upward. Felix is a potential game breaker, one of the few we actually have on offense.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Hostile;3936622 said:
I'd gladly accept Noel Devine as the 3rd RB via UDFA and go this year with Felix, Murray, and Devine.

Is that a possibility?

I'm not sure what he will do as a pro, .. he is primarily a speed guy, a 3rd down type.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;3936622 said:
I'd gladly accept Noel Devine as the 3rd RB via UDFA and go this year with Felix, Murray, and Devine.

I wouldn't have a problem adding Devine in some manner but going with just those three - given each player's injury history - would have me concerned.

With that group I think you'd almost need to carry four running backs.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
stasheroo;3939694 said:
I was hoping you would chime into this conversation as I am a big fan of your work.

I have to ask, where did you get those numbers?
Wow. Cool to have fans. I enjoy your posts too.

I just looked at their splits at espn.com, and subtracted the "1-2 yards to go" carries, then got their targets from si.com. and threw it all together.

Stautner

Reaction score
craig71;3939612 said:
I still think that the odds of Choice being on this team on 9/11 are slim to none. Ofcoarse an injury during camp could change that, but barring something of that order I doubt Choice plays in Dallas in 2011. I think that Choice is a role player at best because he excels at nothing. He doesn't have great speed, he isn't the greatest blocker and he doesn't have the softest hands or the intagibles/heart of an Emmitt Smith. I think Choice is the proverbial "jack of all trades and master of none".

Craig

So, who would be the 3rd RB? Are we going to ank on an unproven 3rd rounder and an unproven undrafted free agent to back up, and/or share time with Felix?

WV Cowboy;3939693 said:
He has fumbled once as a pro.

If he is not here this season, it's because of something off the field, not on the field.

What has ever happened with Choice off the field?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Stautner;3939749 said:
What has ever happened with Choice off the field?

Nothing that I know of, but people talk about him being a lockerroom problem, or that JG doesn't like him for some reason.

All I know is that the Choice that I see on the field is a good RB to have on the roster.

I hope we keep him.