I would not pay Micah or CeeDee

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I was asking about it.

I forgot that NFL contracts have something with the guaranteed money which the offloading team is on the hook for...which makes it harder to offload salary.

My whole point was getting off of risk and salary of a player coming off an injury who also has half the fan base questioning his tackling ability...when we have a young player in same position doing similar things whom also tackles.

Obviously value for a player is a thing. But having 3 top rated player and top impact positions coming due...I was asking if it was worth the convo if it meant keeping the 3 guys up for new contracts. No need for anyone to derail this with "Dak isnt a top talent" talk....his position and the numbers he puts up require large chunks of cap...and he is due for a new contract...and good bus drivers dont grow on trees. Sloppy QB play has casuals turning the channel quick and losing interest in a team quick....which is why GM's pay for average guys.

Anyway...what was so weird about my post? You would stay on that risk and salary if it meant not being able to sign one of the Big 3...because of value? Seems risky to me. NBA seems to treat this stuff differently...but its a different sport with different cap rules. Still...a risky situation on a high salary player...NBA teams will move if they can. My opinion is that Diggs falls under the risky and paid handsomely category. Maybe not to you.

If talk around here suggests Parsons cant get much in a return...I dont think Diggs is getting much for 3 years of control. Getting off his salary and risk for a reasonable return seems like a conversation to have.
What does what "half the fanbase" thinking have to do with what the team should do?

I didn't say weird. I said asinine. Even for a casual fan, the notion of buy low sell high is not a high bar.

And Parsons would get something in return because you get this year, his first round 5th year and a potential franchise tag all of which are good deals for all pro production. Nevermind becoming the incumbent for an extension. Whoever is saying there would not be a market for 3+ years of elite control of the 2nd most scarcest and sought after position should be ignored.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
What does what "half the fanbase" thinking have to do with what the team should do?

I didn't say weird. I said asinine. Even for a casual fan, the notion of buy low sell high is not a high bar.

And Parsons would get something in return because you get this year, his first round 5th year and a potential franchise tag all of which are good deals for all pro production. Nevermind becoming the incumbent for an extension. Whoever is saying there would not be a market for 3+ years of elite control of the 2nd most scarcest and sought after position should be ignored.
I dont get it. Ignore me I guess.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
A player being hurt does what to their market value? Given that outcome would it be selling high or low?
I think I get it...your wanting to play him this year and see if he can rehab his value instead of selling low now.

What happens if he isn't fast and isn't tackling this next year and seems to be struggling overcoming the injury?

Are you saying you rather eat is contract and hope instead of selling low?

Again...I don't think it's easy to get off some salary in the nfl...so your take might be technically right.

I'm saying, and I'm not trying to be right, if this was nba the guy would be moved due to the risk if a team was in a cap crunch with other stars needing to be paid. And again...it's a different sport with different rules. I'm talking about getting off of risk and salary if it was possible and helped the team. I'm not talking about Diggs being in an impact position or how sought after that position is...though they factor. I think if we assigned weights to these factors you and I might disagree on their importance.

If the Cowboys have to est a bunch of salary/guaranteed money regardless...and it doesn't make sense to move him due to that money....I'm with you. I don't know the exact rules in the nfl. But if it was possible to offload him without much financial hit and get some picks now...it's worth talking about

Last edited:

Mark

Reaction score
The Cowboys have no “team-players”, particularly at the upper echelon of the salary range. The one constant in the past few years is that, once a guy makes FY-money, he quits on the field. The examples are too numerous to mention. Now, Z. Martin is contemplating retirement after this season…after reneging on his previous contract. Lamb sitting out on OTAs while under contract. Micah running his ignorant mouth (as always). No “pride”, no playing for love of the game…it’s all about feathering one’s next at first opportunity, then quitting. It’s disgusting. And the Cowboys have the results to prove it, for three decades.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He reminds me of Zeke for some reason. He is being over used, get a big contract, and will not be able to live up to it.

I am not a fan of giving big contracts for past performance. I need to confidently be able project your future performance.

I feel good about CD and Dak together, not separately. Can't say the same for Micah unfortunately.
Agree!!! Past performance reminds me of several contracts we've done

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think I get it...your wanting to play him this year and see if he can rehab his value instead of selling low now.

What happens if he isn't fast and isn't tackling this next year and seems to be struggling overcoming the injury?

Are you saying you rather eat is contract and hope instead of selling low?

Again...I don't think it's easy to get off some salary in the nfl...so your take might be technically right.

I'm saying, and I'm not trying to be right, if this was nba the guy would be moved due to the risk if a team was in a cap crunch with other stars needing to be paid. And again...it's a different sport with different rules. I'm talking about getting off of risk and salary if it was possible and helped the team. I'm not talking about Diggs being in an impact position or how sought after that position is...though they factor. I think if we assigned weights to these factors you and I might disagree on their importance.
You think other teams do not understand that might happen as well? That is the whole reason why his value decreases. And in that market you want to trade a guy that cannot pass a physical.

It's asinine.

And it is an acl tear not a death sentence. I don't want to trade a guy that has a high probability to return to his all pro form when his value is depressed. I don't want to trade him at all as I like stacking all pros on a roster but trading him now is particularly nonsensical.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Qb are hard to find.

Micah is otherworldly and can't be replaced easily.

Ceedee is awesome but the position is easier to replace

Diggs position is hard to find, he has shown eliteness at that position but has risk attached to him

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Just my opinion. You could likely get two firsts for Micah if you trade him now. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd for cd. That would give us 7 picks in the top 100 for 2025 draft. You could do a lot with that. Save all the money. 35m for cd, 35 for Micah, 55 m dak. That’s 125,mil for three players. Even if you’re pushing the money down the line. That’s way too much cap space to spend on 3 players that can be replaced.
For most teams, this wouldn't make sense. For the Cowboys, it makes total sense. If Jerry and Cap Boy will only pay their own, and only try to win through the draft, then you absolutely trade them for picks. There's no point in handcuffing the team 100% with two or three guys who can't get it done with nothing else around them. There's no guarantee you hit with all the picks you get from them, especially with our inept FO, but at least it gives us a better shot at winning "Jerry's Way".

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You think other teams do not understand that might happen as well? That is the whole reason why his value decreases. And in that market you want to trade a guy that cannot pass a physical.

It's asinine.

And it is an acl tear not a death sentence. I don't want to trade a guy that has a high probability to return to his all pro form when his value is depressed. I don't want to trade him at all as I like stacking all pros on a roster but trading him now is particularly nonsensical.
Nonsensical? When you have Bland? And Diggs has a bunch of question marks and high salary?

I don't know, man. That seems unreasonable

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nonsensical? When you have Bland? And Diggs has a bunch of question marks and high salary?

So because we have Bland that makes selling a depressed asset a good idea? We should trade the other all pro because he is injured?

Nonsense.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
So because we have Bland that makes selling a depressed asset a good idea? We should trade the other all pro because he is injured?

Nonsense.
I don't want to trade Diggs.

This thread is about money.

I'm saying if it's about money...I get off the high paid risk player if possible when you have a guy performing near risky players level on a rookie contract....and that money freed up, assuming getting off Diggs money is possible and makes sense...is used to purchase our current big 3 who don't have injuries.

But that's asinine to you. To me...it's worth talking about If money is the issue. With money you must tall about risk

FanofJerry

Reaction score
We can boot dak for a rookie...but not Diggs

That sounds asinine

And my position is that if Micah isn't getting a good haul these days...Diggs ain't either...so rehabbing him isn't worth having to eat his contract...assuming you can get off it.

So get off the salary if you can because the return isn't good anyway

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don't want to trade Diggs.

This thread is about money.

I'm saying if it's about money...I get off the high paid risk player if possible when you have a guy performing near risky players level on a rookie contract....and that money freed up, assuming getting off Diggs money is possible and makes sense...is used to purchase our current big 3 who don't have injuries.

But that's asinine to you. To me...it's worth talking about If money is the issue. With money you must tall about risk
So now because money and not cause he might not tackle and stay hurt. kk.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

“bunch of question marks and high salary” is why no team will give up much if anything for him.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Just my opinion. You could likely get two firsts for Micah if you trade him now. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd for cd. That would give us 7 picks in the top 100 for 2025 draft. You could do a lot with that. Save all the money. 35m for cd, 35 for Micah, 55 m dak. That’s 125,mil for three players. Even if you’re pushing the money down the line. That’s way too much cap space to spend on 3 players that can be replaced.
Chiefs got what 5 picks for Hill? You could get a lot more than 2 picks ( 2&3 ) for Ceedee. I would not trade him for peanuts which is what you’re suggesting.

CWR

Reaction score
You could be right. But if he has to play out his final year, he's actually playing for another contract from Dallas. We all know he can get one somewhere else.
Na man this league needs qbs. Like him or not Dak is a good qb. We can definitely argue greatness, but that said there is an owner or gm out there who for nothing else would sign him just to sale tickets. I think Dak gets his. The market is stupid.

If he does play out this final year I think there's a great chance he's gone. I dunno, your guess is as good as mine.

Fwiw I'm ready to move on, but that's because I don't believe he will get us to the next level without a strong run game and run defense. We don't appear to be doing enough for that to come to fruition, so I see no point in giving him the bag.

My concern is even if he walks and we save the money it won't actually be invested in talent elsewhere. They seem to be against FA.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I would keep CD, but trading Parsons at this point and time makes sense. Yes, he is a disruptor but for how much longer?????????? He doesn't have that type of nobody to take on double and triple teams and it all came to a head in the second half of last season where Cowboy opponents were able to neutralize him. Parsons was a non-factor when the Cowboys needed him the most. If the Cowboys can get a king's ransom for Parsons then make that deal.
Also I can’t recall one of our star players openly make references about being traded. He made his joke about DQ, and his Steelers trade comment the other day. Just odd.