If Dak signs a long term deal, does Lance seek a trade?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lance never came to Dallas with the idea he would replace Dak. He knows he’ll be competing for the backup job. Very few teams showed interest in him when he was being shopped and I’m sure he understands his situation.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Headlines. It was a dumb trade then and is a dumb trade now. I guess the idea was also that it could somehow give Jerry leverage but a guy who has not been a starting QB for more than 1 game at any level in 5 years is not really much leverage.
Playing only 1 year in college and only 1 year I HS.

But hey, his got potential.

Kwyn

Reaction score
What would be the point of Lance wanting to stay?? Please give your thoughts
I imagine there’s part of Lance that is soooo grateful to be out of the line of fire. I bet he’s happy to let it ride another year.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I've said it all along...

What a stupid trade and waste of a much needed 4th round pick Jerry made!

:mad: :banghead:
So, people want the team to use draft picks on QBs and then get mad when they do.

I imagine those who are mad about Lance would be mad no matter what QB they drafted even if it was number one overall (I liked the other guy!)

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
So thinking as he may be, what was the point of trading for him, just to forever be the backup???
Possibly. He hasn't proven he's capable of being a starter and Dallas is a good place to be to develop as a QB. If the league doesn't feel like he's ready, he'd be wise to stick around and continuing developing under McCarthy for as long as he can. Sometimes it just takes time and patience.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well I think his goal is to win the backup spot. If he’s not the backup I could see his camp wanting a trade.
No one was really interested last year. Another year of sitting and a contract increase to $5M for basically for a 1 year deal. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is another Jerry out there.

See if any Owner was interested in trading for Lance in 2024 their GM would say no and their Director of Player Development would say No.

However, when you are Jerry the owner and Jeruh the GM and decide to not talk to anyone and make your own decision that's what happens.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance needs to win the back up job this season from Rush. If we do have a few blow outs like this season, then he could play a few 4th quarters (like what Rush did) and if he performs, put himself in the shop window.

That helps him and Dallas. Not looking good right now but who knows, a decent showing as back up this year and someone offers a 3 for him?
He will get the back up job by default due to his salary. It will result in another year of sitting. The kid lacks game experience. This is not going to help him period. He needs to play.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They can't "put him on the practice squad". He would have to clear waivers first. All it would take is one desperate team to claim him.
I don't believe an Emergency 3rd QB takes up a roster spot.

Chasing6

Reaction score
So, people want the team to use draft picks on QBs and then get mad when they do.

I imagine those who are mad about Lance would be mad no matter what QB they drafted even if it was number one overall (I liked the other guy!)
I would rather draft a QB to develop someone and figure out if they can make it or not than trade for someone else's mistake that already figured out he was a bust.

This also explains why no other team was interested in Trey Lance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Try again

By the time Browning ended his collegiate career, he owned a litany of Washington and Pac-12 records. Among Pac-12 quarterbacks, he ranks first in wins (39), fourth in career passing yards (12,296), sixth in completions (958), eighth in attempts (1,484) and 16th in passing yards per attempt (8.3).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No one was really interested last year. Another year of sitting and a contract increase to $5M for basically for a 1 year deal. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is another Jerry out there.

See if any Owner was interested in trading for Lance in 2024 their GM would say no and their Director of Player Development would say No.

However, when you are Jerry the owner and Jeruh the GM and decide to not talk to anyone and make your own decision that's what happens.
He's not that removed from being the 3rd overall pick. Someone would trade for him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He's not that removed from being the 3rd overall pick. Someone would trade for him.
Delusional.

What statement to the World do you think the Niners made when they said Trey Lance was going to be the 3rd string QB.

The Niners more than anyone wanted him to succeed. They gave away the farm to get him.

Teams do not pay $5M for a no experience back up QB.

Plus he will be a free agent after next season.

The Niners were just happy to dump his salary. When Jeruh called with a 4th round offer, they almost fell out of their chairs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Delusional.

What statement to the World do you think the Niners made when they said Trey Lance was going to be the 3rd string QB.

The Niners more than anyone wanted him to succeed. They gave away the farm to get him.

Teams do not pay $5M for a no experience back up QB.

Plus he will be a free agent after next season.

The Niners were just happy to dump his salary. When Jeruh called with a 4th round offer, they almost fell out of their chairs.
Feel how you feel. I'm not "delusional" because I disagree with you. I've seen teams trade for Sam Bradford. I've see teams trade for Josh Dobbs. Forgive me if I think someone would trade for Lance....

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What would be the point of Lance wanting to stay?? Please give your thoughts
I just don't see the point in Lance wanting to leave.
Not like he is done anything, and he hopefully is smart enough to realize that he is in a good position on this roster.
He is next QB up, and if he understands anything about Cowboys history concerning the position, he would make a huge mistake wanting to leave.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just don't see the point in Lance wanting to leave.
Not like he is done anything, and he hopefully is smart enough to realize that he is in a good position on this roster.
He is next QB up, and if he understands anything about Cowboys history concerning the position, he would make a huge mistake wanting to leave.
Good point, just as long as he shows something he's good

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I dunno.......he was a bigger bust potentially due to his play but Lance cost 3 1st round picks whereas Russell just 1 (I think) so the original post is maybe right saying "biggest ever bust" if we factor in draft capital.
Let's give the kid a chance, Romo was a UDFA.
Jerry does not spend high draft stock on QBs, as fans we should all understand this already.