If Fans Ran This Team

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Hostile;2395152 said:
Our current GM has us $6.27 under the cap, has this roster stocked with young talent that is respected around the NFL, and has built this organization back from the dead. There are teams that would kill to have our GM.

This is the most amusing, yet utterly sad thing i've read regarding the cowboys in a long, long time.

There are a tons of teams who would have wanted a GM who hired Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, run off Tuna & co (& ireland) with TO and then hired Wade Philips after seriously considering the ultimate retread flunky Norv Turner.

Bang up job our GM does. :laugh2:

ps - JERRY BURIED THIS TEAM you claim he's "built back from the dead". You're praising the arsonist firefighter who starts a deadly fire only to put it out and play pretend hero!

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Hostile;2395134 said:
We would have no coaching staff beyond Joe Avezano on Special Teams.

We would have Witten, Barber, Ware, Romo, and Folk and all the other current players would not be here since they are "simply not good enough."

That means we would have to fit 48 players into the remaining salary cap room and have no room to re-sign Ware.

But we'd be better off...somehow...don't ask me how...I have no friggin' clue.

But you know it probably works in Madden.

Too bad :madden:

You forgot Mcbriar...He helps the D out by his booming kicks, You cant tell me they would want to get rid of him too?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
And over the last decade, we'd have the exact same post-season winning percentage as Jerry and co. Edge: Fans.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;2395745 said:
And over the last decade, we'd have the exact same post-season winning percentage as Jerry and co. Edge: Fans.

I never understood this argument it's not as if we've been going to the playoffs every year......

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2395658 said:
I do think Jerry is a horrid GM. Without question. Being a GM is putting a team together, not simply writing checks for big-name players.

This is what happens when your GM is a marketing guy instead of a football guy.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2395753 said:
I never understood this argument it's not as if we've been going to the playoffs every year......

We haven't? Fire the GM.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
If I owned the team, I would recognize that I know very little about football and would hire a knowledgeable GM. I would give him complete power over football operations and personnel decisions, and I would not attempt to coerce him in any way.

Although I lack comprehensive knowledge, I understand that the measure of success in pro football is wins and losses, especially in the playoffs. Consequently, if my GM had yet to garner a single playoff win in 12 years, I would definitely consider finding a new one.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Chief;2395782 said:
This is what happens when your GM is a marketing guy instead of a football guy.

I agree 100% with both your edited version and your original version.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
justbob;2395388 said:
The team started to tank because of the salary cap and the loss of some key players --Parcells came in to a young team that had good players and got lucky with Romo --I do think Jimmy was a great coach and I do think we need another like him..but Parcells wasn't it and neither is Wade .. I just think Jerry deserve more credit then he gets for trying and suceeding in putting a talented team on the field

Well, I can see your point but the salary cap had to be dealt with by all of the teams. In that case, the Cowboys had to efficiently utilize their personnel, because of the cap, where in addition Gailey, Campo, etc. didn't have the authority nor the backbone to run the team. Parcells did have the authority and backbone to run the team but was trumped by Jerry bringing in TO that broke up his relationship with Parcells. Parcells brought in his old players and old staff to reverse the mediocrity that the Cowboys had.

Although I'm not a fan of Parcells, that is the type of coach that the Cowboys and most teams need. Parcells didn't get lucky with Romo. Parcells evaluated Romo to be a decent QB unlike Henson, Hutchinson and all.

I'm not saying that Jerry doesn't deserve some credit. To be clear, I'm saying that Jerry will keep the Cowboy's from the SB if he continues to keep on trying to GM and coach the team.

Why doesn't Jerry flat out decide to be coach and see how that works for the Cowboys? Jerry's frustration with the team is his own doing mostly.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
percyhoward;2395801 said:
I agree 100% with both your edited version and your original version.

:)

I should have left that in there, I guess. I just think he approaches most things from a marketing angle. Jerry knew he would get roasted when he traded for PacMan, but in his mind, any publicity is good publicity. It gets people talking about the Cowboys. That's what he wants, for better or worse.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2395258 said:
If Jason Ferguson were on the bench making $5.5 million dollars a year we'd be griping about that.

The idea that Ferguson helps this team from the bench just doesn't jive.

Ferguson is a better NT than Ratliff. Ratliff could start at one of the end spots and then there's no issue of Ferguson making too much money.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2395315 said:
You're right. The problems are delusions of grandeur. Like any of us are really going to skip HS Coaching, skip NCAA coaching, skip working our way up the NFL coaching food chain, and because we win on Madden we're going to solve the problems.

From the couch straight to Tampa and a 6th Lombardi. It's the story of the year. Too bad it starts "once upon a time..."

But I can't wait for the "happily ever after."

Hate to tell you, but Jerry Jones didn't work his way up through any of the aforementioned ranks, either. Yet he managed to assemble a very talented roster...one that won 13 games last year.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Who owns the Packers? A team run by fan's doesn't mean there are a bunch of idiots in beer-stained Nascar shirts and flip flops walking around on the sideline telling everyone what to do.

mnky2hvn

Reaction score
Hostile;2395152 said:
Our current GM has us $6.27 under the cap, has this roster stocked with young talent that is respected around the NFL, and has built this organization back from the dead. There are teams that would kill to have our GM.

He's also a GM that has gone 91-95 over the last 12 years with ZERO playoff wins.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2395658 said:
Still, the premise Hos started the thread with is correct. Fans are so knee-jerk, they can and will say anything... And unlike a real GM, they can always change their minds back the next week with zero consequences.
Don't forget to yell "Bingo!"

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
chinch;2395651 said:
LOL so true. It's quite amusing that people actually think Jerruh is not the problem :laugh2:

I can't believe that many don't realize he's the problem. I think it's more of a case they just know he isn't going anywhere so they blindly stick their heads in the sand or pretend like he's changed.

But it does make you wonder though when you hear some say things like there are other teams out there who would love to have Jerry as their GM. :laugh2:
I think a lot of teams would like an owner that is willing to spend money, but there's no way they'd want Jerry the GM to choose their coaching staffs and personnel and meddle.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mash;2395874 said:
I love Jerry as GM....
I do too.

I don't like Pacman Jones, but look at the parameters of the trade he made. Now because of it we basically got the guy for free if we decide to keep him.

He has a stockpile of Draft picks this off season. Twelve of them in fact. Nine of which can be traded.

We have one critical Free Agent to sign this off season and the money to do it.

I'm not French. I refuse to wave a white flag at mid season.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Can we just get Garrett some new ideas?:laugh2: