CFZ If this team fizzles again-the off-season was a big reason

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Seems the Cowboys are ok with being in the middle, or slightly above. My thinking is if you aren't at the top you're probably better off at the bottom. If you don't have a chance at the super bowl blow the thing up, if you do then go all in.

That was Jimmy Johnson's philosophy as well.

tm1119

Reaction score
True but was San Francisco uber aggressive in the offseason? I don't remember that being the case and they are certainly a real contender this season.

They had a hole at CB and went out and signed Charvarious Ward to $42M contract. I don’t think any reasonable person is expecting the Cowboys to be the Rams, but refusing to address any needs with a legit starting level player in free agency isn’t a way to build a contender. I think we’ve seen enough evidence by now.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yep we find bizarre ways to lose football games.
You can't make this stuff up.
1. It was a bad decision to throw a pass on 3rd down in regulation instead of running the ball and forcing them to use their last timeout.
2. Bad play calling in the 3rd quarter that cost them to settle for a field goal. 1 more td and they win.
3. Final drive the pass somehow goes right between Wilson's hands. If he tips that ball, they win.
4. Bad luck on the pick 6. The ball hits Brown in the chest and he tips it up, if he holds on to it, they probably win.
5. They could have easily won the game to give them 11 wins and clinch the 5th spot.
6. They should still get the 5th spot. They should beat Tampa.
7. When they clinch the 5th spot, they probably rest Parsons and he gets healthy for the playoffs which would help them a lot.

rambo2

Reaction score
Would it matter if I did? Would it truly change your tune? Probably not.
I'm pretty sure that you can't do it. Brown has looked solid to me. He not only makes plays, he blocks well too.

rambo2

Reaction score
They had a hole at CB and went out and signed Charvarious Ward to $42M contract. I don’t think any reasonable person is expecting the Cowboys to be the Rams, but refusing to address any needs with a legit starting level player in free agency isn’t a way to build a contender. I think we’ve seen enough evidence by now.
What if Anthony Brown hadn't got hurt? We will have to see what happens at corner going forward. At least one of the veterans that they now have added should see the field soon.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But it really doesn’t matter does it?

This organization is incapable of putting a playoff winning team together.

Sigh.
But they can put together an interesting and relative playoff caliber team. That’s all is needed to keep the revenue train rolling.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And yet most of them also seem to figure out a way to get under the cap while continuing to build their rosters with draft AND free agency. There is so much broken with this front office.
They seem to be content with the interesting and relative product they produce . Pretty easy to sell hope and continue generating record revenue.

That’s the initial goal. Anything beyond that is gravy. Jethro can appeal to the fans and public with damage control and scapegoating for the rest. Rinse and repeat.

tm1119

Reaction score
What if Anthony Brown hadn't got hurt? We will have to see what happens at corner going forward. At least one of the veterans that they now have added should see the field soon.

Wasn’t talking about CB specifically for us…just the lack of adding any real talent from outside of the organization in general. Whether it was DT, LB, or WR there were reasonably priced deals that would have helped the depth of this team tremendously. But as usual we liked our guys and are now wondering why we aren’t good enough/lack depth at certain positions. As others have already pointed out, it’s a never ending cycle with this organization.

TheHerd

Reaction score
They seem to be content with the interesting and relative product they produce . Pretty easy to sell hope and continue generating record revenue.

That’s the initial goal. Anything beyond that is gravy. Jethro can appeal to the fans and public with damage control and scapegoating for the rest. Rinse and repeat.

He wants to win - of that I am certain. But he needs to win AND get credit AND be smarter than anyone else with a few "steals", or he doesn't want it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The off-season was a disaster. We like our guys philosophy coming home to roost now.

I wonder if the FO is going to learn from this or just decide that the publicity from this year was good enough. They made their money. The FO is probably satisfied for this year.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Three games left. And the Cowboys are swooning in the same manner they did as last year. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Players, coaching staff, culture, etc. The usual suspects around here.

But if this team craters in the same manner as last year, I place a majority of the blame on the completely unaccountable front office who looks at the off season as a vacation on the yacht and looking at Will McClay’s scouting binders to select players for the draft.

While the GMs of teams winning playoff games are focused on winning now, Stephen Jones is focused on next years cap.

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line and

Hate to say it…but our chief divisional rival had a great off season. Their GM is the young and aggressive Howie Roseman. He had a fundamental understanding of what his team needed to get better. Look at his off-season moves compared to ours:
  • Roseman hired the young and aggressive Nick Sirianni as HC in 2021.
  • Roseman acquired WR AJ Brown in a trade, recognizing Jalen Hurts needed help to develop into a better passer. (Our FO cut Amari Cooper and replaced him with 3rd rd pick Jalen Tolbert, cheap FA James Washington- combined have 2 catches- both by Tolbert)
  • Roseman saw THIS SEASON as their year to make bold moves. (Stephen Jones is always worried about next year’s cap)
  • Roseman acquired LB Haason Reddick, an underrated player who has upgraded the eagles defense.(We signed DE Dante Fowler for a lot less- he has had almost zero impact)
  • In season, Roseman acquired Ndomincan Suh to upgrade their run defense (We acquired DT Jonathan Hankins for a 7th round pick. Not exactly bold.)
This could go on and on. The players, coaches and culture share some blame in Big D for underperforming. But it’s way more than that. The front offices of the better teams this year spent the off season saying, “We want to win now- what bold moves can we make?” Our front office says, “We want to win now BUT- we don’t want to hurt our cap for next year.”

Pretty much the entire fan base predicted we would struggle at DT, WR, and CB at the beginning of training camp. Here we are 9 months later struggling at DT, WR and CB.

nobody

Reaction score
What I hate the most is hearing our fat favorite son Executive VP wax on about “staying within the cap for future years” while teams passing us on the highway are saying, “Cap? We want to win NOW.”

This right here is all the proof needed that the championship is not the front office's main goal and never has been. If they do manage to get the team to the SB, it won't be through competence but sheer luck.

Redline360

Reaction score
Jerry and Co can say what ever they want about wanting a superbowl in the worst way however they honestly don't give a two *****. You don't neglect defense for 20+ years, certain positions, make FA moves that don't matter or dumpster dive, keep players or coaches around that are dead weight. They would rather stack the offense with talent so their average quarterback can look above average to save face.

Felt so good to draft Parsons and Diggs

He cares only about one thing and that is $$$$$$. A run stuffing DT or etc won't sell jerseys. I high output offense sells tickets

I personally love the defense side of the game. Rather see gritty, hard hitting shutdown defense. However getting harder to see that with all these offensive friendly rules.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you can't do it. Brown has looked solid to me. He not only makes plays, he blocks well too.

Sigh. Jamal Agnew.

Yea, big time playmaker. Last play of the game was clutch.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Three games left. And the Cowboys are swooning in the same manner they did as last year. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Players, coaching staff, culture, etc. The usual suspects around here.

But if this team craters in the same manner as last year, I place a majority of the blame on the completely unaccountable front office who looks at the off season as a vacation on the yacht and looking at Will McClay’s scouting binders to select players for the draft.

While the GMs of teams winning playoff games are focused on winning now, Stephen Jones is focused on next years cap.

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line and

Hate to say it…but our chief divisional rival had a great off season. Their GM is the young and aggressive Howie Roseman. He had a fundamental understanding of what his team needed to get better. Look at his off-season moves compared to ours:
  • Roseman hired the young and aggressive Nick Sirianni as HC in 2021.
  • Roseman acquired WR AJ Brown in a trade, recognizing Jalen Hurts needed help to develop into a better passer. (Our FO cut Amari Cooper and replaced him with 3rd rd pick Jalen Tolbert, cheap FA James Washington- combined have 2 catches- both by Tolbert)
  • Roseman saw THIS SEASON as their year to make bold moves. (Stephen Jones is always worried about next year’s cap)
  • Roseman acquired LB Haason Reddick, an underrated player who has upgraded the eagles defense.(We signed DE Dante Fowler for a lot less- he has had almost zero impact)
  • In season, Roseman acquired Ndomincan Suh to upgrade their run defense (We acquired DT Jonathan Hankins for a 7th round pick. Not exactly bold.)
This could go on and on. The players, coaches and culture share some blame in Big D for underperforming. But it’s way more than that. The front offices of the better teams this year spent the off season saying, “We want to win now- what bold moves can we make?” Our front office says, “We want to win now BUT- we don’t want to hurt our cap for next year.”
Still you have to laugh!
I now take perverse pleasure from the Jones’s annual failure.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Some truth to this but not 100% all facts…a lot of the moves they’ve made actually worked. They lucked into dorance Armstrong, Maher worked, ceedee has looked like a 1, Tyler smith is a player. Jason peters has provided good depth.

if we fall short I think injuries on the defensive side of the ball will likely be a much more significant reason

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Needs and concerns in the offseason:

- Swing OT
- WR
- DT

Current needs and concerns:

- Swing OT
- WR
- DT
- CB (due to injury)

Yea, complete whiff in this offseason. I’d argue we subtracted instead of added.
Many of the usual suspects on this site think addition by subtraction is a good thing despite the yearly proof of the opposite.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Many of the usual suspects on this site think addition by subtraction is a good thing despite the yearly proof of the opposite.

If you want to continue to make the playoffs and lose in the playoffs sure.