CFZ If this team fizzles again-the off-season was a big reason

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Some truth to this but not 100% all facts…a lot of the moves they’ve made actually worked. They lucked into dorance Armstrong, Maher worked, ceedee has looked like a 1, Tyler smith is a player. Jason peters has provided good depth.

if we fall short I think injuries on the defensive side of the ball will likely be a much more significant reason
The majority of the moves over the years have not worked.
And even when they do work they are offset by failures in the draft.
Bosman Phat anyone!

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I don't go with hot takes. They should have won the game. They still have 10 wins which is the 2nd best record in the NFC and they should beat Tampa in the playoffs.
They should have beaten GB and Jacksonville but didn’t.
And Tom Brady has never lost to us.
Don’t bet your mortgage on it!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The majority of the moves over the years have not worked.
And even when they do work they are offset by failures in the draft.
Bosman Phat anyone!

the cowboys have been one of the better drafting teams over the last 10 or so years….

NeathBlue

Reaction score
This franchise will get significantly worse after Jerry croaks it and Stephen takes over…

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Dallas has been unable to stop the run for many, many years yet they refuse to address it.

They also have had year after year of bottom of the barrel offensive play calling. I just can’t understand putting together a potentially dominant offense and turning it over to somebody learning on the job.

4-2-5 isn’t strong versus the run.

6 gaps for 2 LBs.

someone is gonna miss.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Three games left. And the Cowboys are swooning in the same manner they did as last year. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Players, coaching staff, culture, etc. The usual suspects around here.

But if this team craters in the same manner as last year, I place a majority of the blame on the completely unaccountable front office who looks at the off season as a vacation on the yacht and looking at Will McClay’s scouting binders to select players for the draft.

While the GMs of teams winning playoff games are focused on winning now, Stephen Jones is focused on next years cap.

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line and

Hate to say it…but our chief divisional rival had a great off season. Their GM is the young and aggressive Howie Roseman. He had a fundamental understanding of what his team needed to get better. Look at his off-season moves compared to ours:
  • Roseman hired the young and aggressive Nick Sirianni as HC in 2021.
  • Roseman acquired WR AJ Brown in a trade, recognizing Jalen Hurts needed help to develop into a better passer. (Our FO cut Amari Cooper and replaced him with 3rd rd pick Jalen Tolbert, cheap FA James Washington- combined have 2 catches- both by Tolbert)
  • Roseman saw THIS SEASON as their year to make bold moves. (Stephen Jones is always worried about next year’s cap)
  • Roseman acquired LB Haason Reddick, an underrated player who has upgraded the eagles defense.(We signed DE Dante Fowler for a lot less- he has had almost zero impact)
  • In season, Roseman acquired Ndomincan Suh to upgrade their run defense (We acquired DT Jonathan Hankins for a 7th round pick. Not exactly bold.)
This could go on and on. The players, coaches and culture share some blame in Big D for underperforming. But it’s way more than that. The front offices of the better teams this year spent the off season saying, “We want to win now- what bold moves can we make?” Our front office says, “We want to win now BUT- we don’t want to hurt our cap for next year.”

and the Eagles will likely win a second Super Bowl in 5 years. Meanwhile, we keep hearing jokes about Cowboys Super Bowls on VCR tapes.

Loso86

Reaction score
Three games left. And the Cowboys are swooning in the same manner they did as last year. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Players, coaching staff, culture, etc. The usual suspects around here.

But if this team craters in the same manner as last year, I place a majority of the blame on the completely unaccountable front office who looks at the off season as a vacation on the yacht and looking at Will McClay’s scouting binders to select players for the draft.

While the GMs of teams winning playoff games are focused on winning now, Stephen Jones is focused on next years cap.

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line.

Hate to say it…but our chief divisional rival had a great off season. Their GM is the young and aggressive Howie Roseman. He had a fundamental understanding of what his team needed to get better. Look at his off-season moves compared to ours:
  • Roseman hired the young and aggressive Nick Sirianni as HC in 2021.
  • Roseman acquired WR AJ Brown in a trade, recognizing Jalen Hurts needed help to develop into a better passer. (Our FO cut Amari Cooper and replaced him with 3rd rd pick Jalen Tolbert, cheap FA James Washington- combined have 2 catches- both by Tolbert)
  • Roseman saw THIS SEASON as their year to make bold moves. (Stephen Jones is always worried about next year’s cap)
  • Roseman acquired LB Haason Reddick, an underrated player who has upgraded the eagles defense.(We signed DE Dante Fowler for a lot less- he has had almost zero impact)
  • In season, Roseman acquired Ndomincan Suh to upgrade their run defense (We acquired DT Jonathan Hankins for a 7th round pick. Not exactly bold.)
This could go on and on. The players, coaches and culture share some blame in Big D for underperforming. But it’s way more than that. The front offices of the better teams this year spent the off season saying, “We want to win now- what bold moves can we make?” Our front office says, “We want to win now BUT- we don’t want to hurt our cap for next year.”
Sounds great but being 10-4 is that because of the offseason too...or no!?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds great but being 10-4 is that because of the offseason too...or no!?
10-4 is good. And we should be glad considering how this year started. But isn’t the bottom line of every season what we do or don’t do in the playoffs? If we are one and done again, should we be happy?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He wants to win - of that I am certain. But he needs to win AND get credit AND be smarter than anyone else with a few "steals", or he doesn't want it.
No doubt Jethro wants to win. But only his way. He’s not interested in winning if he’s not the face of the franchise , heavily involved and receiving credit as he sees fit.

Which was painfully obvious after winning back to back championships with Jimmy which wasn’t enough just hiring the right guy being second fiddle behind his HC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
10-4 is good. And we should be glad considering how this year started. But isn’t the bottom line of every season what we do or don’t do in the playoffs? If we are one and done again, should we be happy?
That’s a great question. I’m afraid our answer might not be as aligned with our ownership as we’d want to believe.

If you still made hundreds of millions with one and done could you be happy ?

And remember happy doesn’t have to always equate to total satisfaction.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s a great question. I’m afraid our answer might not be as aligned with our ownership as we’d want to believe.

If you still made hundreds of millions with one and done could you be happy ?

And remember happy doesn’t have to always equate to total satisfaction.
Greggo, I can only speak for me. I wouldn’t be happy or satisfied.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know being in business while we’d strive to be #1 and worked hard to be the best we could still found happiness in the level of success we had.

Much like players and teams can find some happiness with the level of success they have.

I think fans sometimes forget that winning isn’t everything. Yes, it’s bragging rights for fans and everyone involved but I’d hope at the end of the day we all can find some joy and happiness with the level of success we have.

This all or nothing, win the gold or go home, isn’t a healthy place to be as fans or anyone involved in competition.

Is Jethro doing everything within his power to win? No, but we know that and still follow and support begrudgingly holding his feet to the fire. At some point we as fans need to come to terms with reality.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greggo, I can only speak for me. I wouldn’t be happy or satisfied.
Sure you would be happy with making 800 million in a season , the celebrity status and all that comes with it.

Just like the players are happy with making millions.

Do you have to win at everything you do to find some happiness with the spirit of competition?

Happy and satisfied aren’t necessarily aligned.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure you would be happy with making 800 million in a season , the celebrity status and all that comes with it.

Just like the players are happy with making millions.

Do you have to win at everything you do to find some happiness with the spirit of competition?

Happy and satisfied aren’t necessarily aligned.
What? Lol! I’m not talking about life. I’m just talking about the Cowboys. I don’t lose a second of sleep over the Cowboys or any team I follow. I’m just saying I’m tired of this organization doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I don’t have to “win at everything” to be happy. But I do expect my favorite team to win more than 4 playoff games in 27 seasons. Maybe just winning a couple in a row once in a while.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What? Lol! I’m not talking about life. I’m just talking about the Cowboys. I don’t lose a second of sleep over the Cowboys or any team I follow. I’m just saying I’m tired of this organization doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I don’t have to “win at everything” to be happy. But I do expect my favorite team to win more than 4 playoff games in 27 seasons. Maybe just winning a couple in a row once in a while.
We’re all tired of it.

I understand Bob but we are talking about their lives.

This isn’t the championship caliber franchise we all grew up with. At some point we should adjust our expectations. You’d think after almost 3 decades we’d begin to see the bar has been lowered. Like all fans do who follow franchises or schools with less success.

Last edited: