If you could get two high 1st round picks for a 4th rounder would you make the trade?

If you could get two high 1st round picks for a 4th rounder would you make the trade?

• Total voters

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No. Garrett's Offense may not be meant to do that but if you get behind the 8 ball, you better be able to score quickly. You better be able to be accurate with the football and that's not Dak's thing in a lot of situations. Against the Rams, that's what it would have taken and Carr does that better then Dak does. That's just the truth so if you are asking about the game against the Rams specifically and our chances this season, that's how I see that.

I wonder if you have ever really watched Carr play? I have watched him quite a bit, going back to his college days. Carr is a lot better QB then I suspect you give him credit for. Even in a season like this year in Oakland, he put up better numbers then Dak did, in almost every category. If Carr isn't basically learning a new Offense he probably doesn't throw nearly as many INTs as he did this season but even then, look at the numbers. 8 of his 10 Ints this year were thrown in the first 5 games. He then goes on to go ten straight games with no INTs. He throws 2 in the last game against KC. That's only two more then Dak the entire season and he had much less talent to work with in that Oakland Offense. I honestly don't know that you can make the argument that Dak is all that much better in terms of taking care of the ball.

He is more accurate with more attempts, They are comparable in terms of turnovers. Carr has a much better Sack %, YPA are almost identical. The biggest difference in the two players is Dak's ability to run the ball but is that more important then Carr's obvious superiority in passing skills? I'd take the more accurate passing skills myself. I mean, all of this and Carr doesn't have nearly the tools around him that Dak has. You give Carr those tools and I can't imagine the numbers he would put up. I mean, if you are asking why, that's why. He is simply a better fit for Garrett's Offense and it would take less time to get him to a point where we could compete for a Championship IMO. No wasted years in development and we could then go out and sign FAs now that could help us win next year. At this point, we can't do that because we don't know if Dak is going to make the strides needed to be a Championship quality team. This is why. Just an honest evaluation.

That's the point though. Garrett's offense isn't meant to get behind the 8 ball. It relies on the defense to hold up in the redzone and for the Cowboys to control the clock with Zeke. That's what its been since 2014.

I don't watch all of Oakland games. I'm a Cowboy fan so I can't say I've seen all of Carr's work. All I Can do is base my opinion on what I've seen from the guy in a few games and unless I'm just watching his bad ones? I'm not seeing this same quarterback you are seeing. Carr isn't accurate at all. He overthrows his receivers just like Dak does and he throws at ankles as well.

Carr had Cooper just like Dak did.

You are giving Carr far too much praise. If Oakland felt the same way you did about him...he wouldn't be on the trade block. They'd just keep him and build around him.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 1sts will most likely be two top 10 picks as desperate bottom feeders would be the ones to entertain this trade.

Supporting cast keeps getting better and you can continue running the same systems already implemented.

If not, why wouldn't you take the picks?
I guess being a zone supporter has it priveledges!!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"4th Round pick" is code for "Dak Prescott"......I know....he made a very stupid title.

Yep, and the first flaw in his title and post is Dak isn't a pick. He's a player. A team asset. Whatever the team might be willing to trade him for has nothing to do with where he was drafted in 2016, it only has to do with what they see his value as today.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yep, and the first flaw in his title and post is Dak isn't a pick. He's a player. A team asset. Whatever the team might be willing to trade him for has nothing to do with where he was drafted in 2016, it only has to do with what they see his value as today.

Right.......his draft status was out the window after the rookie season he had lol.....so if we traded Romo that would be us trading two 1st rounders for....what? Nothing lol?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right.......his draft status was out the window after the rookie season he had lol.....so if we traded Romo that would be us trading two 1st rounders for....what? Nothing lol?

As further evidence of the OP's agenda, why do you suppose he didn't ask if we would trade a 4th rounder for a 3rd rounder? Obviously if simply talking about a swap of draft slots everyone would say yes, but if he asked if we would trade Dak for a 3rd rounder almost everyone would say no. Even fans who aren't sold on Dak would admit a QB with Dak's background is worth more than a 3rd rounder. The way he worded it, the OP was trying to set people up, but people didn't bite.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's the point though. Garrett's offense isn't meant to get behind the 8 ball. It relies on the defense to hold up in the redzone and for the Cowboys to control the clock with Zeke. That's what its been since 2014.

I don't watch all of Oakland games. I'm a Cowboy fan so I can't say I've seen all of Carr's work. All I Can do is base my opinion on what I've seen from the guy in a few games and unless I'm just watching his bad ones? I'm not seeing this same quarterback you are seeing. Carr isn't accurate at all. He overthrows his receivers just like Dak does and he throws at ankles as well.

Carr had Cooper just like Dak did.

You are giving Carr far too much praise. If Oakland felt the same way you did about him...he wouldn't be on the trade block. They'd just keep him and build around him.

Well you are right, that is the point. Good teams don't always get to have it their way, especially in the playoffs. Playoff teams take away what you do well and it's the team that can adjust and can overcome. You can't just depend on the fact that you are going to be able to do what you want to do. You have to be able to deal with what comes at you.

Carr is extremely accurate. He threw for 68.9% this season. Yeah, I don't know what you are watching but the guy is very accurate.

Let me ask you a question, if I'm giving Carr too much credit and Oakland is not feeling it, then what do you say about Mack and Coop? Both of those guys got traded by that organization and both of those guys had career years for each of their teams. Oakland isn't making moves based on talent here. They are making moves based on financials and future draft picks. I don't feel this is really an argument you can make. Clearly, Oakland is doing things that are not representative of the talent base of the players being traded.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well you are right, that is the point. Good teams don't always get to have it their way, especially in the playoffs. Playoff teams take away what you do well and it's the team that can adjust and can overcome. You can't just depend on the fact that you are going to be able to do what you want to do. You have to be able to deal with what comes at you.

Carr is extremely accurate. He threw for 68.9% this season. Yeah, I don't know what you are watching but the guy is very accurate.

Let me ask you a question, if I'm giving Carr too much credit and Oakland is not feeling it, then what do you say about Mack and Coop? Both of those guys got traded by that organization and both of those guys had career years for each of their teams. Oakland isn't making moves based on talent here. They are making moves based on financials and future draft picks. I don't feel this is really an argument you can make. Clearly, Oakland is doing things that are not representative of the talent base of the players being traded.
Yeah but come on you know better than anyone here that completion percentage doesn't mean you're accurate lol. You can be accurate on short throws and miss the medium throws and come out with a good percentage. I routinely see him overthrow his receivers and under throw them. You watch him more than me. My sample size is small. I saw him in a few games last season on CBS.......just wasn't impressed by the guy. He doesn't come across as a guy who's making players around him better than you seem to think.

Like I said above, If Carr was better the Raiders would've built on their team and not tore it down. They traded low on Cooper. They could've got more for Cooper in the offseason so that shows they had high hopes for that offense and they realized it wasn't happening and got lucky the Cowboys offered a 1st when no one else would.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
As further evidence of the OP's agenda, why do you suppose he didn't ask if we would trade a 4th rounder for a 3rd rounder? Obviously if simply talking about a swap of draft slots everyone would say yes, but if he asked if we would trade Dak for a 3rd rounder almost everyone would say no. Even fans who aren't sold on Dak would admit a QB with Dak's background is worth more than a 3rd rounder. The way he worded it, the OP was trying to set people up, but people didn't bite.
Yeah he didn't give this site enough credit lol.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
That's intresting though, I wonder what Dak's value is to a qb needy team that has a strong supporting cast? (If such a team exists)

Not sure what Id trade him for at this point, because we have nothing behind him and call me crazy but Im still excited about his turn around since Coop, and am hoping he continues to improve.

I think some would trade him for a bag of jelly donuts and a new hackee sack lol. Me? I'm good with learning what we might have

Reactions: CWR

Pants

Reaction score
hell, I would trade our last two years of 4th round picks for two top 10 picks - oh wait. Switzer is gone (drat)....armstrong and Schultz for two top-10's??? ok, you talked me into it

(what a ridiculous thread)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The 1sts will most likely be two top 10 picks as desperate bottom feeders would be the ones to entertain this trade.

Supporting cast keeps getting better and you can continue running the same systems already implemented.

If not, why wouldn't you take the picks?
Me head wants to explode.
What do you mean. Why would the mods install a poll???

PUSHfold

Reaction score
If that 4th rounder was our 25 year old franchise QB then absolutely not, if it was a young stud 14+ sacks a year DE absolutely not. Any other position though and they're gone pretty much.

Asklesko

Reaction score
I'd give Kellen Moore for two firsts. His stock will never be higher than it is now.