Impossible to win unless the QB takes a discount

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Economics. It is supply and demand as stated by another member already.

Within the NFL's players market, the number of potential buyers can number as many as 31 owners, as few as one owner, or zero owners. To-date in the cases of Tony Romo and Dak Prescott, the single buyer has been Jerry Jones.

Buyers pay the market price per the player's worth that the buyer determines is acceptable. The opposite is also true. The player will never be signed for $____________ million if the buyer believes the player's worth is not acceptable. It is possible Jones believes it is the latter this time around. Either circumstance will be proven correct eventually.

Prescott's on-the-field performance can be criticized if he underperforms. That is within his power to control and is answerable for, just like any other player.

On the other hand, Prescott and his agent can toss any offer amount in front of Jones for extending him. Jones can accept or reject the offer. That responsibility, and the impact on his franchise's salary cap situation, is solely his. If there is anyone, who should be criticized or overly criticized for how much Prescott's contract has and is detrimentally impacting the team's salary cap, it should be Jones.

Flamma

Reaction score
There is no “all in” with Dak.

At a certain point, in important situations, the QB will be required to step up and do things that Dak is not capable of doing.

You can only carry someone so far for so long before they have to pull their weight a little. The Cowboys look their worst when Dak has to carry his weight.
I can't disagree. When the Cowboys are down, we're not seeing any heroic performances by our QB. The last one I remember was back in 2016 against the Eagles. Was there another one? We rarely ever come back in the final 2 minutes to win a game. We usually lose those. But I'll give him credit for driving the field to take the lead against the Dolphins last year. He rarely does that. Our D blew that game.

khiladi

Reaction score

Wait what, Dak sucks against zone, makes a living throwing against bad defenses that are forced to play man, his “timing” is predetermined, meaning it all goes to hell when his first read gets thrown off, and so on..
Didn’t MM have him “bail” after his early reads weren’t there? How’d that work out?

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I can't disagree. When the Cowboys are down, we're not seeing any heroic performances by our QB. The last one I remember was back in 2016 against the Eagles. Was there another one? We rarely ever come back in the final 2 minutes to win a game. We usually lose those. But I'll give him credit for driving the field to take the lead against the Dolphins last year. He rarely does that. Our D blew that game.
the Pittsburgh game was the all time game right there

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Even if a qb took 15-20 mil less a year it's not like that gets you much player wise.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Taking less money isn't going to help Dak perform better. He is what he is.
The only possible counter ,to that, is we could spend the saving on:
- stopping the run (which will hopefully give Dak time to regain his composure )
- upgrading the running game, to again take the pressure of Dak in those scenario's in critical games.
Saying all that, I read up Machota's write up of the Blueprint Broncho's game and it appeared very similar to the GB capitulation..... so I don't buy into 'others' being the fault, I guess it's just Dak's kryptonite ....anxiety under pressure.

khiladi

Reaction score
When GB inserted its second string, you think they were dropping defenders and disguising looks? Suddenly Dak started to “look better”…

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is how the Jones boys fool people. They could have opened up 40-50M in space and been plenty active. But that would have required a Dak extension. For those that don't want to see Dak extended, they can't complain about little free agency action.

I'm on the fence with a Dak extension, and leaning no. But I'd be all for it if they were actually going all in this year. Just to see it happen once!
To be honest, I now think his "all in" statement had nothing to do with more talent or players. I think he saying BOTH sides are putting everything on the outcome of this season with very little help. They are betting Dak's price tag will come down with an average or losing season. He will then accept their offer or move on but a losing season or injury could impact his value on the open market. Dak on the other hand is betting on himself to have just as good or better season even w/o their help from free agency. If this happens, Dak will prove he is worth his asking price and will either stick it to Jerry or pay a very high price to keep him off the market.

Flamma

Reaction score
the Pittsburgh game was the all time game right there
It was. Elliott played great in that game. But it was the Eagles game that Dak led two straight TD drives to win it. We've seen a lot of that from Romo over the years, very rarely from Dak.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It was. Elliott played great in that game. But it was the Eagles game that Dak led two straight TD drives to win it. We've seen a lot of that from Romo over the years, very rarely from Dak.
yet he's about to cash in like never before!!!

Flamma

Reaction score
To be honest, I now think his "all in" statement had nothing to do with more talent or players. I think he saying BOTH sides are putting everything on the outcome of this season with very little help. They are betting Dak's price tag will come down with an average or losing season. He will then accept their offer or move on but a losing season or injury could impact his value on the open market. Dak on the other hand is betting on himself to have just as good or better season even w/o their help from free agency. If this happens, Dak will prove he is worth his asking price and will either stick it to Jerry or pay a very high price to keep him off the market.
Well sure. I can see us winning 10-11 games and Dak padding stats and being a prompt exit from the playoffs. It's not going to reduce his asking price. We'd also have to ask why an owner would want to do that.

What I think will happen is Dak will get an extension sometime this offseason. His cap hit for this year will be just enough to sign cheap FAs and the draft, leaving about 5-10M to carry over to next year. He won't open up a lot of cap space because they're not going to use it.

John813

Reaction score
In the days of restructuring, the AAV doesn't matter unless you really overpaid someone and locked in too many guarantees into year 3+.
A 52.5 mil AAV contract can be brought down to 19.3mil early on in year 1, and so forth.
Where teams get in trouble is when a restructure goes quickly south such as Romo retiring 3 years into a multiple restructured deal, Frederick getting GBS shortly after his monster extension and restructure etc.

Blaming a QB is the weak way out for GMs/Owners.

It takes a lot of talent acquisition, hitting on drafts and luck to make the big show. Unless you got a GOAT at QB, where most games they can pull a rabbit out of hat, it's a good mix of taking advantage of rookies on cheap deals and FA to supplement the weak spots.

Sure, there will be a time to pay the piper and some down years, maybe such as the 24-25 season depending on how they view Dak and a potential 3rd deal.
Cowboys use of void years will hurt next year, if they let him walk.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
you have a chance if he's top 10 all time, but did Brady get paid more than every other qb? QBs hog up too much of the cap. the first top 10 qbto realize this and take less will help start a dynasty
The Brady era is over. Mahomes got paid 500 million they just doing it over ten years

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For a different team this might be valid. They refused to go all in while Dak was on his rookie deal so that point is moot in Dallas. Dak might as well get every penny he can, they're not winning regardless.

blueblood70

Reaction score
you have a chance if he's top 10 all time, but did Brady get paid more than every other qb? QBs hog up too much of the cap. the first top 10 qbto realize this and take less will help start a dynasty
so let me get this straight you want Prescott and his agents to do something that only one player in the history of football who is married to someone who made more money than him takes slightly less money his whole career even though he played nineteen years and he's second all time on the money list or he might be #1 and Kirk cousins is number 2 by the way and you want Prescott to take less money even though the league set the precedent the market has been set by all 32 teams and by the league this is not Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys issue this is not Prescott asking for anything any other quarterback in his league would ask for it I mean Joe Burrows technically makes more money than Patrick mahomes on a yearly average and then there's three or four other guys in that same zip code and all of them make more money then Prescott at this point...

I get why these posts are started you believe he should probably not ask for like new market money which I agree he shouldn't like set a record but he should still get paid probably in the top five average like he would if he was on a franchise tag that's no different than any other quarterback lately that's gotten paid has wanted most of them have made money in the area of their talent levels... Anybody asking him to take Daniel Jones money or ridiculous Daniel Jones first of all should have never got that money but that shows you where the markets at anyone asking them to take under 50 is also ridiculous that sure would be nice but I think the area is about 55 right now for the top paying AV so maybe somewhere between 50 and 55 but not making new market money and not setting the market would be nice yes that would be in a way taking less but any of them wanting to take money that is around Kirk cousins have to realize that Kirk cousins while you try to make a comparison is not as good as Prescott he's worse in the playoffs he's just came off an injury he's older and Prescott just came off one of his best years...​
So again I understand why you wrote this but it's ridiculous that think he should just come in and say yeah I'll take 42 no problem... It still has to work for both sides and hopefully they come to where he maybe takes 52 and that's 8 million less than people have been rumored that he's asking for which is a giant rumor it's not true so maybe if the Cowboys come in when he's demanding 55 and offer him 48 and they settle around 50 to 52 that's where it's gonna happen and right now that is the posturing I still think there's a chance he gets signed a couple weeks before the season starts.....​
After the draft and after the Cowboys fill in with the other free agents that they need to build the roster they will then turn their attention to the contracts of CD Lam Prescott and Parsons they will start looking at windows should be done and what they should come into the table with.... Right now it's posturing it's on hold it has everything to do with the draft and getting the rest of this roster at least built and ready for training camp and then they will turn their attention to these other deals and everyone thinking that he's playing in his last year in Dallas it's gonna be a free agent that's a chance but I don't think that's gonna happen I think there's a small chance he gets signed before the season....​

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I dont undertand the harsh criticism of Dak. Those tweets didnt produce an exact number of times Dak is being flustered or percentage of times he is flustered based on the specific defense set he is being shown/switched after snap. I think any reasonable person needs to know the exact percentage he is getting flustered or the probability Dak will throw an INT based on the coverage he is having issues with before they label Dak not NFL starter material.

The tweets even say most QB's are having issues it. There has only been 2 Michael Jordans or QB's in all of NFL thus far and Mahomes looks way more talented than Brady...so really one.

I think any reasonable person would like to know the exact number percentage Dak messes up on those coverages compared to other QB's in regular season vs playoffs. What are the other QB's doing to escape being flustered by this coverage? Is there offensive plan better than ours to escape that coverage if first read is blown? How come our coaches arent fixing this? Dont they have tablets and can find the open pockets on the screen for the next time?

This all comes down to "show me the data" on Dak and show me the data of other QB's.

To just run a non-stop defamation op against Dak without data and calling all pro-Dak posters Homers seems unscientific and seems like there is a narrative being pushed.

Just odd that in a Billion dollar industry with coaches making million dollars a year that Dak is putting up league leading numbers every year. As if other QB's dont have easy opponents too that they can pad garbage stats.

Here is the thing...even if we hashed all this out and the numbers show that only Mahomes is beating this coverage consistently...the convo moves to a flaw you cant quantify..."Dak has yips in playoffs".

There is always a side door into darkness. Its pathetic. The hate moves to a new over exaggerated flaw or to defining a player with team stats.

I dont doubt Dak has flaws. It depends on how severe the coaches, scouts and consultants think those flaws are compared to Dak's cap hit. Are coaches confident they can game plan for Dak to be successful when teams are using this coverage? Are coaches saying they think Dak is capable of learning and adjusting?

What is always suspect is the language used against Dak as if he is some lousy NFL player because of a flaw a lot of QBs have. To hate a guy for it and get into arguments with other posters because you want them to hate Dak too. Again...odd that Dak has these severe issues and coaches making millions and they have not decreased the amount of throws per game for Dak.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
it's impossible to win???

then why is the top 10 quarterbacks paid very highly and Patrick Mahomes has won more in the NFL and he is making the most money ,technically by the size of his contract and it might be #2 in AAV to what Joe Burrows??? they keep raising his contract every time another player gets paid seems like that might have been written into Mahome's contract that he will be always at least one of the highest paid quarterbacks,

so they restructure it and give them more money...

Doesn't that get thrown out even Tom Brady was making top five money, he wasn't setting the market but Patrick Mahomes is winning a lot of Super Bowls and the way they're doing it in Kansas City is much like the Cowboys do because show me where Kansas City is aggressive in free agency , show me all these big names that they are picking up in the 1st 10 days of free agency show me all these giant big name trades that they're making because when I look at their roster it looks like it's made-up of smart small trades, small acquisitions in free agency,and the draft they do very well in the draft..

I realize they're very well coached at one of the best quarterbacks the league has ever seen, I get that but they are not the teams out there going all in and being aggressive and their quarterback is the highest paid or at least one of them, so yeah I guess you can win with one of the top paid quarterbacks in the league he's the only one that's both one on a rookie deal and now he's one on making over $50 million a year...they kept winning..

Chasing6

Reaction score
So is your argument that:
a) Dak is just the 'market price' for a 'top' QB
b) The Jones are to blame for having to pay the 'market price'
c) Jones is to blame as their was no viable alternative.

....because yet again it's a case of BLAME ANYONE BUT DAK.

For the record i'd be offering him a long term contract, with some wiggle room on the Guaranteed money and ability to restructure (oh and of course a professional GM to implement this).
GM Jethro runs the team. GM Jethro makes the decisions. No one else.

How do you blame Dak for his contract that GM Jethro signed?

How do you blame Dak for GM Jethro not having a replacement plan?

Dak can play out his contract and GM Jethro can resign Trance, draft a QB or pick up another FA QB after the draft, because god forbid it affect his comp picks otherwise.