Informal Poll Is Garrett a better Head Coach than Wade?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
perrykemp;5096045 said:
Only team I am aware of that quit on Wade was the 2010 team when Romo went on IR for the season.

I got news for you -- <almost all> teams quit in that situation.

wade's history of head coaching speaks for it self. its been the same results in 4 different places. team starts good the first year and progressively gets worse and becomes one of the worst teams in the league....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You have to look at Garrett's approach to building the team his way. It takes time. We saw last year some glimpses of how that philosophy will play out. Despite all the injuries, the Brent incident the team never gave up and played their hearts out. Garrett has a priority of bringing in good character players. Kinda like Popovich with the Spurs. I like it and think we will see even more of the positive effects of that play out this year. You can't just go by win loss record. That's naive and narrow minded. You have to look at the big picture.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096068 said:
Yes we do. Garrett doesn't sign checks so at the end of the day, the final decision is always Jerry's.

Jimmy did not sign paychecks at the end of the day either. :D

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096068 said:
Yes we do. Garrett doesn't sign checks so at the end of the day, the final decision is always Jerry's.

but where do recommendations come from? Jerry wanted to stay with the 3-4 and they chose Ryan. garrett signed up for the sake of continuity. but at the end, Jerry tries to meddle a lot and often he screws it up. garrett gets a gold medal just for having found a way to work with jerry and still have the arrow pointing up.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096068 said:

Does that mean he couldn't have come to Jerry and ask for more experience on the coaching staff? How do we know it was Jerry's idea to switch to a 43? I think its already been proven that Jason wanted to bring Callahan in, so why couldn't he have lobbied for Kiffin/Maranelli, too?

Am i supposed to believe that all of this is happening in spite of Jason's wishes, yet Jerry still considers Jason the organizations "premier asset"?

visionary

Reaction score
Wade= great DC, bad HC

Garrett= bad OC, jury still out on him as HC

i was a fan of garrett when he became HC because i felt he had some traits that good HCs should have

however, he has been unable to translate those traits into tangible results for the team

it does not matter how good a game you can talk, sooner or later you have to produce on the field or all the talk is just hot air

lets see how he and the team do this year

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jnday;5096060 said:
We do know that Jerry went on a rampage at season's end and heads started to roll. It wasn't Garrett saying things were going to be uncomfortable at Valley Ranch.

But it was Garrett with the past connection to Kiffin not Jerry. I'm sure Jerry did want to see changes, why wouldn't he? why would any GM in the league not want change after a poor season?

It was Garrett with a connection to Callahan not Jerry

Matts4313

Reaction score
CowboysFaninDC;5096070 said:
yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes yes, yes and a 1000 times yes. not even close

Exactly. This isnt even debatable. If you dont realize RED>>WADE than you have your head stuck in the sand somewhere.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096043 said:
Yes, much better. Wade's teams gave up on him. The team plays for Garrett regardless.

But Jerry set that up. Jerry brought in Garrett as the coach in waiting and basically hamstrung Wade with that decision. Nobody is afraid of the guy who is on his way out. They all know that the person who will take the fall is the guy with the replacement already on staff. On the other hand, if you are a Coach who is beyond firing, a guy you know isn't going anywhere, then it's the coaching staff and the players who have the fear of god in them. With Wade, that was not the case, which is why players "gave up on him" IMO.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096088 said:
But Jerry set that up. Jerry brought in Garrett as the coach in waiting and basically hamstrung Wade with that decision. Nobody is afraid of the guy who is on his way out. They all know that the person who will take the fall is the guy with the replacement already on staff. On the other hand, if you are a Coach who is beyond firing, a guy you know isn't going anywhere, then it's the coaching staff and the players who have the fear of god in them. With Wade, that was not the case, which is why players "gave up on him" IMO.

A strong coach would not have let that happen. You have to knock Wade for that. He knew the deal coming in and was unable to manage it.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Matts4313;5096087 said:
Exactly. This isnt even debatable. If you dont realize RED>>WADE than you have your head stuck in the sand somewhere.

:laugh2:

I would love to see you try and qualify this statement.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096093 said:
A strong coach would not have let that happen. You have to knock Wade for that. He knew the deal coming in and was unable to manage it.

Correct me if I am wrong but the question was never if either Coach was a "Strong" Coach. That has nothing at all to do with the earlier statement.

Garrett also knows the deal coming in. He basically did the deal to Wade so if it happens to him, he's basically eyes full open on it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoyTheHammer;5096036 said:
Do we know that it was Jerry and not JG who decided to bring in Callahan, Kiffin, Marinelli, etc?

jnday;5096060 said:
We do know that Jerry went on a rampage at season's end and heads started to roll. It wasn't Garrett saying things were going to be uncomfortable at Valley Ranch.

It appears that Garrett was definitely responsible for the hiring of the WR coach and the previous WR coach. It was also reported that Garrett definitely wanted to get rid of the previous RB coach.

When Rob Ryan was hired, it was reported that he was not Garrett's 1st choice but Jerry wanted somebody with more experience than the DC that Garrett preferred. Now RR is gone and replaced by someone (Kiffin) that Garrett is much more closely associated with. Garrett was also associated with the Special Teams coach and Marinelli.

It appears that the only staff change that Jerry forced on Garrett was the ousting of his brother as the TE coach. Even that move appears to be beneficial to John Garrett in the long run.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Gaede;5096048 said:
Wade's record after 3 years--33-15.
Garrett (almost 3 years)--21-19

Pretty easy decision.

Obviously skewed by the last season Wade coached and the first Garrett coached, but point is, Wade was more successful than Garrett

This...can't argue with record. Add to that the fact that Wade has over 30 years as a coach. Garrett is not to the same level yet: in years or competence. Good coach, but no, not better than Wade.

Garrett IS a better motivator than Wade however...that was the biggest problem with "13-3".

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096098 said:
Correct me if I am wrong but the question was never if either Coach was a "Strong" Coach. That has nothing at all to do with the earlier statement.

Garrett also knows the deal coming in. He basically did the deal to Wade so if it happens to him, he's basically eyes full open on it.

You can't be a good coach if you're perceived as being weak.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096068 said:

Does that mean he couldn't have come to Jerry for more experience on the coaching staff? How do we know it was Jerry's idea to switch to a 43? I think its already been proven that Jason wanted to bring Callahan in, so why couldn't he have lobbied for Kiffin/Maranelli, too? Especially since he's the one with ties to those guys.

Am i supposed to believe that all of this is happening in spite of Jason's wishes, yet Jerry still considers Jason the organizations "premier asset"?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Wade's a better HC than he's generally given credit for by most Cowboys fans. I think, in fact, that he's been a mediocre HC, if not slightly better than that over his whole tenure.

And I think Garrett is a better coach that Wade was, though that's not based on total wins or winning percentage to-date.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AmberBeer;5096108 said:
You can't be a good coach if you're perceived as being weak.

OK, I don't necessarily disagree with that statement but again, that was never the question. The question was, if I am not mistaken, "Is Garrett Better then Wade?"

I also do not believe that Wade is a weak coach. I don't really agree that Garrett is a weak coach either. I think the fan base likes to believe that they might be because neither is volitile. I think Wade is a much better coach then he is given credit for and I think Garrett is not a finished product. Of course, that's just my opinion.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My criteria for the question is:

If a new head coach came to the Cowboys, would he want to inherit a team previously coached by Garrett or previously coached by Wade?

IMO, the answer is easily Garrett.

Wade allowed the team to become a mess full of Prima donna type players.

The team might have had more talent in some of the Wade years; however, the mental makeup of Garrett's teams is much much better, IMO.