Informal Poll Is Garrett a better Head Coach than Wade?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;5096110 said:
Does that mean he couldn't have come to Jerry for more experience on the coaching staff? How do we know it was Jerry's idea to switch to a 43? I think its already been proven that Jason wanted to bring Callahan in, so why couldn't he have lobbied for Kiffin/Maranelli, too? Especially since he's the one with ties to those guys.

Am i supposed to believe that all of this is happening in spite of Jason's wishes, yet Jerry still considers Jason the organizations "premier asset"?

No, it doesnt' mean that at all but that, again, was not the question. The question was, who hires and fires. Who's decision was it. Well, that's always Jerry and there is no middle ground on that. Jerry lets us know it's him with alarming regularity. This whole entire thing is being discussed right how, because Jerry was letting us know this.

As for what you believe, I would say believe what you want. The problem here is that one question is asked but when the answer is given, suddenly other topics are inferred. That's fine but it doesn't change the fact that the answers are given to the questions that were asked. Not the inferences that are added later.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Jury is still out.

It's probably important to point out that Garrett has had just one full offseason with the team as HC.

I'm as curious as the rest of us to see how it turns out.

So far, I do like some of his leadership qualities.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
17yearsandcounting;5096123 said:
Why dont we compare Garrett to Campo or Gailey?

Because everybody is better than Campo and Gailey was not here long enough.

Gaede

Reaction score
I just don't understand. Really, not trying to stir things up.

Results matter. All of Garrett's team-building skills and great 'fight' have led to .500 records. We haven't made the playoffs, and as a matter of fact, screwed the pooch in two consecutive 'win and get in' scenarios.

Wade had better records and better success. This cannot even be disputed. So why does he not get credit for this?

Fredd

Reaction score
in answering the OP, think of it this way, you go to Mcdonald's or BK drive through and order something....you get it home, devour it (and likely feel bad for eating that crap, I digress)...then, you crumble up the bag

Garrett = the crappy food (not bad, but you don't know whether it was good for you or not)
Wade = the crumbled up bag (that was only good enough to hold the place for the food)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Gaede;5096128 said:
I just don't understand. Really, not try to stir things up.

Results matter. All of Garrett's team building and great 'fight' have led to .500 records. We haven't made the playoffs, and as a matter of fact, screwed the pooch in two consecutive 'win and get in' scenarios.

Wade had better records and better success. This cannot even be disputed. So why does he not get credit for this?

It's simple: People like Garrett. They didn't like Wade. Garrett is young, thin, wears a big smile, has an Ivy League degree, and is an ex-Cowboy. Wade is old, fat, talks funny, and doesn't care about looking good at press conferences.

None of those things make any difference when it comes to coaching football. But most people usually don't decide on logic, they decide on emotion and then try to justify their decision with logic. And they're going to cut breaks to people they like.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
xwalker;5096120 said:
My criteria for the question is:

If a new head coach came to the Cowboys, would he want to inherit a team previously coached by Garrett or previously coached by Wade?

IMO, the answer is easily Garrett.

Wade allowed the team to become a mess full of Prima donna type players.

The team might have had more talent in some of the Wade years; however, the mental makeup of Garrett's teams is much much better, IMO.

That's an interesting question. From a personnel perspective, it's probably better now as opposed to then but depending on the cap situation, that might impact the situation. All things are not equal there. As far as bringing in talent, when Wade was here, people remember that 2009 draft and that's fair, it was a horrible draft but it was also a draft with no 1st or 2nd round picks in it. Wade was here from 2007 to 2010. Wade should also get credit for the players that were drafted in those drafts as well.

2007 -

Anthony Spencer
Isaiah Stanback
Doug Free
Nick Folk
Alan Ball

2008 -

Felix Jones
Mike Jenkins
Martellus Bennett
T. Choice
OScan
Erik Walden

2009 -

Jason Williams
Victor Butler
John Phillips

2010 -

Dez
Sean Lee
AOA
Sam Young
Sean Lissemore

All of these players are guys who are either still on the Cowboys roster or are on an NFL team, as of 2012.

Really, that's not too bad IMO.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I give Wade the easy nod based on his W/L results. Unfortunately the players disgustingly quit on him that final season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DFWJC;5096125 said:
Jury is still out.

It's probably important to point out that Garrett has had just one full offseason with the team as HC.

I'm as curious as the rest of us to see how it turns out.

So far, I do like some of his leadership qualities.

I agree. Garrett still has to prove it. While there are things I like that he is doing it still comes down to winning. He enters his 3rd full season as HC and he needs to produce results

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
Not a chance in hell, how soon people forget that wade had a 13 win season and an 11 win season, in which he won a playoff game, the only playoff win in 17 years.

superpunk

Reaction score
I absolutely hated Wade.

I think Garrett is a better team architect. The difference between our drafts now and under Wade is huge.

Game day? Give it to Wade. No matter how much I hate him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
superpunk;5096168 said:
I absolutely hated Wade.

I think Garrett is a better team architect. The difference between our drafts now and under Wade is huge.

Game day? Give it to Wade. No matter how much I hate him.

What would you say the difference in drafting is?

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Think he's better at bringing in players to fit what he wants to do.

Wade took Bills team and made em soft as a cupcake.

Taken a bit longer to get out of that hole them we'd have liked, but Garrett's had the team in position to win the division last two seasons.

Hopefully they get over that hump this year.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
I really don't understand why people like garrett so much, he has accomplished next to nothing here.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Vanilla2;5096171 said:

Taken a bit longer to get out of that hole them we'd have liked, but Garrett's had the team in position to win the division last two seasons.

Who would you say the best players are on the team right now?

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
Vanilla2;5096171 said:

Ya garrett had his team in positiont o win division titles, wade actually won division titles lol.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life2;5096172 said:
I really don't understand why people like garrett so much, he has accomplished next to nothing here.

People act like he is some franchise legend when he started 9 games in his career for Dallas. Aka the same amount of games Chad Hutchinson started.