Interesting Cowboys WR stats from this year

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
1992 Cowboys:
Irvin, 78 catches for 1396 yards and 7 TD

Every other Cowboys wide receiver combined: 67 catches for 921 yards and 7 TD

How was Aikman able to win in the playoffs with that lack of depth at WR??
Not that its a comparison to this team at all BUT, I dont think anyone anywhere is confusing that offense with the players on this offense... Maybe Zak Martin sees the field on that offense, other than that who would?

DFWJC

Reaction score
It almost always takes a WR 2 years to fully recover from an ACL.
They made a big blunder thinking Gallup would be the rare WR that would return to form in his first year back.
He should be fully ready next year though

Having said that, they still need more depth.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Alvin Harper was clearly the #2 and was a good receiver for us. And then you had TE Jay Novacek. Nobody on this current team comes close to them.
Harper in 92: 35 catches 562 yards 4 TD

Noah Brown this year: 43 catches 555 yards 3 TD

Novacek in 92: 68, 630, 6 TD
Schultz in 2022: 57, 577, 5 TD

Pretty comparable #s all the way around from the #2 wr and TE spot

Honestly I do think novacek was underappreciated and probably a better TE than Schultz.

I think Harper was overrated by virtue of the fact the cowboys were a top team and also he benefitted from playing with a guy like Aikman who could fit the ball into windows that few people can. Tampa Bay probably agrees. They picked him up with the intent of making him a #1 wr and he pretty much disappeared. After leaving Dallas Harper had 3 touchdown receptions the rest of his entire career. Total. 3

That was Aikmans #2 in 1992. A guy who scored 3 TD total after leaving Dallas. Let that sink in. Troy elevated those around him. He's underappreciated IMHO

BoysForLife

Reaction score
It was easy to get away with that because of our ability to run the ball
Some truth to that I'm sure but also, Maybe we ran the ball easier as well because people feared Aikmans accuracy and arm?

Sometimes it's a two way street

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
1992 Cowboys:

Well, he did have some guy named Emmitt Smith. The Cowboys averaged 140 yards rushing in those playoff games. That helps.

Not throwing any picks does as well.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I always love the segment of fans who say dak sucks (not agree or disagreeing just observing) then get mad when people suggest to get more wide receivers/weapons…..if the quarterback sucks shouldn’t we want as many threats as possible to help the guy out and make his job as simple as possible?

The rebuttal “he’s got enough help he just sucks “….ok I agree, he’s not an elite top tier quarterback but he’s also not going anywhere anytime soon sooooo again why not stack his roster the best we can

HungryLion

Reaction score
1992 Cowboys:

The best offensive line in the league and the all time leading rusher help.

Listen you’ll never hear me argue Dak is as good as Aikman. He isn’t. Troy was my boy.

But the cowboys running game in the 90’s was LIGHT YEARS better than they have been the last couple of years.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Well, he did have some guy named Emmitt Smith. The Cowboys averaged 140 yards rushing in those playoff games. That helps.

Not throwing any picks does as well.
Agreed on both.

I will never do anything to minimize or discredit Emmitt

All time favorite Cowboy.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Alvin Harper, Jimmy Smith, Kelvin Martin, and Jay Novacek were light years better than this years non #1 crew
Stats don't say that

Sorry

As I noted in post above Harper left Dallas to go be a #1 and scored 3; TD the rest of his entire career.

Total.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think the cowboys need another receiver. However they also need a better running game. The running game has fallen off a cliff late in the season the last two years.

Big D

Reaction score
1992 Cowboys:

EdmCowboy Fan

Reaction score
Sad just sad. I knew this would be a issue going into the season. We have lamb and a bunch of Jags. Still can't believe they gave Gallup that contract after his injury. But u hand out dumb contracts and you hurt the team building. Paying Zeke that money when he still had a year left on his contract. Just dumb deals. Both of those guys look like jags this season. I am willing to give Gallup another look next season due to the injury he suffered before signing the contract. Maybe he will hopefully look like a number 2 guy.
When did Americans become so stupid. Wow

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This could also be coming from the QB only looking at 1 receiver most of the time and defenses picking up on it. That would account for many of the INT's too.

Makes you wonder how different this offense would have been this season if they could have kept him on the roster.
but most of the interceptions came throwing to other WRs.....this could be the QB not having confidence in other WRs and at crunch time going to the best WR on the team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
1992 Cowboys:

How? he had Emmitt a HOFer, and AIkman was an elite QB and a HOFer...he also had Jimmy Johnson and a very good innovative at the time with great game management OC

you can't compare Aikman to Dak. Zeke to Emmitt and Moore to Norv Turner

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
All because Jerry got butthurt over Cooper calling out Dak. They knew Gallup wasn't going to produce worth a damn coming off that injury.

Man child owner
no, because he didn't get his vaccine, missed games and pouted. then it became personal to Jerry. if you are not loyal to jerry, you are not a cowboy for long. if you are loyal, you get a large contract ala club foot smith