Interesting point about a possible 2nd tag for Dak

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Meh. Let him walk after this season. The years between Aikman and Romo were the most fun. We had some great draft slots. After all, the draft is the best part of the season. It goes downhill from there.
I agree. We like cheap players, too. Mr. 2-11 is cheap and if his team is strong enough to carry him to the playoffs, he averages about 9 points a game. But managing the salary cap is just as fun as watching the games. Excel spreadsheets and calculators are fun, fun, fun!!!

csirl

Reaction score
There'll be no second tag. Whether hes staying or going will be resolved this season.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I applaud Dak for betting on himself but the only thing in life that is a sure thing is death and taxes. If he gets injured or sucks it up than he is screwed. If he was offered more guarantee money than Goff or Wentz than he should have taken it, imo. Just want this thing to get done.

Dallas QBs rarely make it longer than 8 seasons as a starter.

I think Aikman has the record for starts. But those last 3 seasons of Aikman were painful to watch.

this is year 5 for Dak.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Could you explain what to "cave into his agent's demands of a shorter contract" will actually look like financially?

How does caving into his agents demands assist the Cowboys in the next 3 years?

You don't have to look as far as the 3rd years tag, look at next years (2021's) scenario???

I'm not a capologist, but they will have less years to spread out the signing bonus. Usually year one creates more cap space as the front office pushes the bonus into future years. For Example, if Dak plays on his 31 million tag, that's a 100% charge on the cap. If he signs an extension that number can be reduced or even increased based on the cap space. That extra years gives the front office more flexibility managing the cap.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
IMO Dak is playing on the tag this year and if the projections about a cap drop for next season (due to covid) are true then he will not get a long term deal next season unless it is for at least 5 years as the Cowboys will need as many years as possible to spread out and manage his cap hits while they wait for the cap to rise again. If Dak's agents were smart they should have realized this and signed the reported 5 year deal the Cowboys offerred because if Dak were to sign a 5 year deal next season in essence he would have given the Cowboys 6 years instead of the 4 he and his agents wanted. I'm not so sure the Cowboys current 5 year deal is still on the table

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He have seen the same scenario play out with the franchise tag and the front office. Both Dez and DLaw signed extensions right before the deadline, neither ever played on the franchise tag. I am expecting the same to happen here.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think he signed the tag because of the unusual circumstances. Something the league and PA have negotiated but not made public yet will come out and it will be obvious why Dak signed when he did. If it’s not that, then it was simply to force Jerry’s hand and not let Dalton get any 1st team reps.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
He have seen the same scenario play out with the franchise tag and the front office. Both Dez and DLaw signed extensions right before the deadline, neither ever played on the franchise tag. I am expecting the same to happen here.

Anthony Spencer got tagged twice by the Cowboys (2012 and 2013) when they couldn't work out a long term deal

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
That was probably the only case in which a Cowboy player played on the franchise tag.

There might have been others not sure, but it does show they are willing to tag if they have too and Spencer had a great year under his 1st tag and they still couldn't get a deal done so they tagged him again, unfortunatley he got hurt under the 2nd tag and basically his career was over

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm not a capologist, but they will have less years to spread out the signing bonus. Usually year one creates more cap space as the front office pushes the bonus into future years. For Example, if Dak plays on his 31 million tag, that's a 100% charge on the cap. If he signs an extension that number can be reduced or even increased based on the cap space. That extra years gives the front office more flexibility managing the cap.

Exactly.......w/o an extension by July 15, the $31M cap is locked in for the season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There might have been others not sure, but it does show they are willing to tag if they have too and Spencer had a great year under his 1st tag and they still couldn't get a deal done so they tagged him again, unfortunatley he got hurt under the 2nd tag and basically his career was over

The two most recent examples show that a contract agreement was reached right before the deadline. The tag is much higher then any other position which it makes it urgent to agree to the deal this year.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The two most recent examples show that a contract agreement was reached right before the deadline. The tag is much higher then any other position which it makes it urgent to agree to the deal this year.

With cap projections for next year expected to go down by 10m (based on some reports) it makes getting a deal done now harder especially if Dak is stuck on a 4 year deal. The Cowboys have already accounted for Daks 31.4m cap hit this year and still have enough left to sign their rookies after that they would still have 4-5m of cap space left. The only urgency now is whether or not the Cowboys want to lock Dak up to a deal and i think that deal just got harder to make (at Dak's current demands and even at the Cowboys current reported offer) if the reports of the cap going down due to covid are true

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Does anyone see a possibility of Dak ending up in Cam Newton's predicament. Despite a lot of good stats most GM's don't think as highly of Dak (I don't think) as the Cowboy FO does.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Does anyone see a possibility of Dak ending up in Cam Newton's predicament. Despite a lot of good stats most GM's don't think as highly of Dak (I don't think) as the Cowboy FO does.

How many game starts does Dak have left?

hes already at 64.

anything past 100 is bonus. Cam had 124 starts.

you can look it up. It’s like life insurance.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If we give Dak 124 starts, he has nearly 4 seasons left.

minus the tag in 2020, that’s 3 more as a starter.

it’s easy to see why Dallas and Dak can’t make a deal.

Jerry is betting he won’t be the starter long term.