Interesting point about a possible 2nd tag for Dak

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'm not a capologist, but they will have less years to spread out the signing bonus. Usually year one creates more cap space as the front office pushes the bonus into future years. For Example, if Dak plays on his 31 million tag, that's a 100% charge on the cap. If he signs an extension that number can be reduced or even increased based on the cap space. That extra years gives the front office more flexibility managing the cap.

Yes, you're right so far and we all agree that the issue equates to length of contract.

But I don't think some fans actually see how bad the situation is...… and how the team's going to deteriorate ...….

I actually think JJ is (and to be fair it's his own making) in no position to "cave in".

The costly backdated contracts JJ would have to give in 2021 to fill the roster (even with scrubs) will add further pressures to our CAP which is already going to be (29th lowest in 2021 and lowest in 2022).

The problem JJ has got is that this may be the better option as I cant see how he can afford to offer the Franchise Tag in 2021, as Dak may accept it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[/QUOTE]
It could very well force Jerry's hand ........either sign him long term or trade him coz a 3rd tag is next to impossible at $50M plus ( like Cousin, every team in the league know we're not going to pay that). Meaning we lose any/all trade value AFTER the second tag. This is what Breer is saying and he's right. Not getting this done before the start of next season would leave only two options......

I can say I never thought the ideal Dak not signing a long-term with Cowboys was possible but honestly, I'm not sure now.

**** 2nd tag but no trade value for a 3rd tag
**** Long-term deal or trade him before 2021 season

Breer: "They get there, and the team is in a MUCH worst spot"

There will be no 2nd Tag or new contract for Dak.
This coming year will be his last as a Cowboy!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could care less if he signs him long term. I like the idea of a QB on a contract year. The last two, Cousins and Flacco, were more fun to watch knowing there was something hanging in the balance. Then Cousin went stupid with that "how do you like me now" childish act and ruined it.

I have never seen so many people waste so much time on nothing. If this is that important to your life, I feel sorry for you.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, you're right so far and we all agree that the issue equates to length of contract.

But I don't think some fans actually see how bad the situation is...… and how the team's going to deteriorate ...….

I actually think JJ is (and to be fair it's his own making) in no position to "cave in".

The costly backdated contracts JJ would have to give in 2021 to fill the roster (even with scrubs) will add further pressures to our CAP which is already going to be (29th lowest in 2021 and lowest in 2022).

The problem JJ has got is that this may be the better option as I cant see how he can afford to offer the Franchise Tag in 2021, as Dak may accept it.

Under Stephen Jones, he has handled the team's cap situation very well. They rarely spend for fa's on the open market, draft/develop and try to resign their own in house fa's. With some of the young players getting paid now, it comes far more challenging. They should be able to manage the cap if they continue this patience, even with a Dak extension, but cannot afford to go the franchise tag route after this season. By paying top dollar for some of their players, it leaves less room for the entire roster, which is why we see some positions with either character, injury risks or undrafted fa talent.

J12B

Reaction score
It could very well force Jerry's hand ........either sign him long term or trade him coz a 3rd tag is next to impossible at $50M plus ( like Cousin, every team in the league know we're not going to pay that). Meaning we lose any/all trade value AFTER the second tag. This is what Breer is saying and he's right. Not getting this done before the start of next season would leave only two options......

I can say I never thought the ideal Dak not signing a long-term with Cowboys was possible but honestly, I'm not sure now.

I still don't understand why there is a "guarantee" Dak will get tagged a 2md time.

What if Dak has a season like 2017 this year (or whenever the next season happens)? What if Tyron and Marin get injured and the oline is a mess? What if Cooper gets injured and Lamb just doesn't have the rookie season most are imagining him to have?

His value will drop. Dallas may let him walk and his market value will not be the same costing him millions.

It's unlikely, but I think it is certainly possible.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Under Stephen Jones, he has handled the team's cap situation very well. They rarely spend for fa's on the open market, draft/develop and try to resign their own in house fa's. With some of the young players getting paid now, it comes far more challenging. They should be able to manage the cap if they continue this patience, even with a Dak extension, but cannot afford to go the franchise tag route after this season. By paying top dollar for some of their players, it leaves less room for the entire roster, which is why we see some positions with either character, injury risks or undrafted fa talent.

….25 Years and not even a Championship Game is a product of the VERY WELL handled CAP???

In respect of your highlighted statement, which young players are you referring to??…..

I note on another thread you're agreeing with the lack of attention to the Safety position. Now you may like the combination of Clinton-Dix and Woods, but beware they're probably only here for 2020.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I still don't understand why there is a "guarantee" Dak will get tagged a 2md time.

What if Dak has a season like 2017 this year (or whenever the next season happens)? What if Tyron and Marin get injured and the oline is a mess? What if Cooper gets injured and Lamb just doesn't have the rookie season most are imagining him to have?

His value will drop. Dallas may let him walk and his market value will not be the same costing him millions.

CAP Space and many wholes to fill in the roster will probably result in no Tag in 2021.

Dak can get a two year deal from a team needing a QB …..(Colts, Jaguars or Patriots)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If Dak Franchised 3 straight years:
  • 2020: $31.40
  • 2021: $37.68
  • 2022: $54.26
  • Average: $41.11
The key is that there would be Zero guaranteed money other than each season is guaranteed once it starts.

$41.11 per year with Zero guaranteed would be preferred by some teams over a 3-year 35M deal which would have about 70M guaranteed.
- Preferred if the team only planned to keep the player for 3 years.

The Cowboys concern is not those 3 years. It's that they want to keep him beyond those 3 years.

The "bargain"' for teams on long term contracts comes at the end (i.e. Years 4 and 5 of a 5 year contract).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Cousin wanted out there because he saw the crap roster they had (and and have had the last 2 years). And yes, he was at odds with the FO.
He wanted out because he felt disrespected by their GM.

He has made that clear in interviews.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The key is that there would be Zero guaranteed money other than each season is guaranteed once it starts.

$41.11 per year with Zero guaranteed would be preferred by some teams over a 3-year 35M deal which would have about 70M guaranteed.

The Cowboys concern is not those 3 years. It's that they want to keep him beyond those 3 years.

The "bargain"' for teams on long term contracts comes at the end (i.e. Years 4 and 5 of a 5 year contract).

If they did try to tag him the 3rd year they would give him the transition tag at approx 46m instead of the franchise tag, it would be the smart thing to do and it would bring down that 41.11m average to around 38m..it does make a difference

Cowboyny

Reaction score
….25 Years and not even a Championship Game is a product of the VERY WELL handled CAP???

In respect of your highlighted statement, which young players are you referring to??…..

I note on another thread you're agreeing with the lack of attention to the Safety position. Now you may like the combination of Clinton-Dix and Woods, but beware they're probably only here for 2020.

The likes of Zeke, Cooper, Zack Martin, Collins, DLaw, Jaylon were all resigned over the last few seasons. Team has to hit on their draft picks, to control quality starters at an affordable rate. Drafting a safety within the first two days of the draft can accomplish that.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Interesting.......

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

So you're saying he could have an off season and they'll let him walk? Besides if the injuries happen you're speculating, how much you blame Dak? In other words, your post isn't making a lot sense....at all.

J12B

Reaction score
So you're saying he could have an off season and they'll let him walk? Besides if the injuries happen you're speculating, how much you blame Dak? In other words, your post isn't making a lot sense....at all.

Yeah, he very well could have an off season. You think there is no chance of him declining for any reason is terrible reasoning. It happens all the time in the NFL.

If Dak is getting $35 million a year that means he takes much more responsibility of the team and HAS to overcome adversity. Something he hasn't exactly shown he can do. (Zeke being out in 2017, No #1Wr in 2018 until Cooper arrived). Dak has needed a strong supporting cast to elevate his game and hasn't elevated others when big time players have missed games. That's what $35 million a year QBs HAVE to do to justify their high cap hit.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The likes of Zeke, Cooper, Zack Martin, Collins, DLaw, Jaylon were all resigned over the last few seasons. Team has to hit on their draft picks, to control quality starters at an affordable rate. Drafting a safety within the first two days of the draft can accomplish that.

I love your world, it sounds so great.

Just sign a Safety in the first two days, and make sure they can contribute immediately is the minimum we'll need. a lot of other holes to fill.

Our issue with the Cap is, in part, due to the inability of our FO to draft outside of the first couple of rounds......I cant remember many players we've drafted after the Second Round that we've signed following their rookie contract?

We throw resources at the high end (Draft scouting and Free Agency) and then scrape around.

Lets hope MM's first promising draft is a sign of things to come.....and Dak/JJ can compromise on a deal.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If they did try to tag him the 3rd year they would give him the transition tag at approx 46m instead of the franchise tag, it would be the smart thing to do and it would bring down that 41.11m average to around 38m..it does make a difference

Could they offer the transition tag in 2021? If so what would that work out as in $?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Could they offer the transition tag in 2021? If so what would that work out as in $?

Yes they can offer it in 2021 if they want to, i'm not sure what it would be for 2021 but it would probably be somewhere around 32-33m instead of 37m for the franchise tag

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Set up a hot wire fence. (Yes, I've done it before!!)

I live in an apartment complex and can't do that. It's funny, not ha ha funny, that dogs are allowed anywhere outdoors including the parking lots and because they're animals the only thing the owners are responsible for are picking up any and all poop then leave. I've talked to the apartment management about it and they keep saying once a dog is outside humans can't tell dogs they can't pee some place like telling a little kid. They said they would talk to the neighbor and see if he would walk the door in some other area but as he said, we live along a river and he and his dog like to go down and sit by the river. It's just on the way down to the river the dog pees on my car.

Section446

Reaction score
If we give Dak 124 starts, he has nearly 4 seasons left.

minus the tag in 2020, that’s 3 more as a starter.

it’s easy to see why Dallas and Dak can’t make a deal.

Jerry is betting he won’t be the starter long term.
Yup, it's pretty obvious that the team isn't sold on him being the answer or he'd already be signed.