Interesting stat from AdamJT13

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hawkeye0202, Feb 11, 2019.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

27,523 Messages
    38,008 Likes Received
    They move, but they don't want to. They don't just tuck and run like Vick. That just doesn't work in the NFL.

2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

46,270 Messages
    36,143 Likes Received
    I agree.

But Dak has the ability to be balanced. He's not even balanced. He's stuck in the pocket.

Romo didn't run a lot either but he extended plays all the time. Dak has the athleticism to do that but chooses not to.

Verdict likes this.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

20,597 Messages
    6,154 Likes Received
    This is pretty hollow when we don't know if the QBs are in the lead or not. A 6-point lead is not going to have the same passing offense as a 6-point deficit, and especially not when that shifts to 8. I'd imagine Mahomes, Brees and Goff were making plenty of safe throws with a lead. It's easy to be aggressive when you're trailing.

Keithfansince5 and Risen Star like this.
  4. LACowboysFan1

LACowboysFan1 Well-Known Member

3,433 Messages
    2,066 Likes Received
    Yes, but the second year is the year most of the great wide receivers began to really improve, as in Calvin Johnson, from 756 to 1,331 yards and 4 tds to 12 tds. Or Jerry Rice, from 927 to 1,570 yards and 3 to 15 tds.

Not saying Gallup is in their class, but the NFL playbook is far bigger than college playbooks and everybody says the game is faster. That's a lot for a rookie receiver to learn in one year...

Techsass, Typhus and CCBoy like this.
  5. LACowboysFan1

LACowboysFan1 Well-Known Member

3,433 Messages
    2,066 Likes Received
    Or is told not to ;)

6. Zekeats

Zekeats theranchsucks

6,276 Messages
    6,240 Likes Received
    Dak?

Doomsay likes this.
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

32,622 Messages
    13,192 Likes Received
    :)

8. Keithfansince5

Keithfansince5 Well-Known Member

2,911 Messages
    2,765 Likes Received
    Why do you feel the need to limit this to an 8 point or less spread? So if a team is ahead by 10 points and still airs it out, ala Chiefs, why not show that too? Why 8 points? Why not 10 points? 14 points? Just curious.

9. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

3,850 Messages
    1,904 Likes Received
    Problem is, is that when the wideout is wide open dak has a hard time getting the ball to them accurately

10. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

8,664 Messages
    5,250 Likes Received
    Fantuition?

KingintheNorth likes this.
  11. JD_KaPow

JD_KaPow jimnabby

7,080 Messages
    5,072 Likes Received
    The problem is that this is a terrible game plan for a good team. It's an okay game plan for an outmatched team that's trying to steal wins. But when you're the better team, you want to take it to the opponent, not let them hang around...because if you keep it close, it's the other guys who may steal the win at the end.

Doomsay and Chocolate Lab like this.
  12. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

5,012 Messages
    1,604 Likes Received
    Adam too often gets lost in meaningless details to prove his point.

He is good when giving details about certain figures. But thats it.

black label and Typhus like this.
  13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

12,833 Messages
    3,422 Likes Received
    @AdamJT13 and @percyhoward are two of the greatest Cowboys Zone posters of all time.

I'd consider putting them above leotisbrown and Pittman4ever (or whatever his name).

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

3,925 Messages
    2,540 Likes Received
    I just wish we’d see play action out of a run set on 1st down more than 4 times a season.

15. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

16,298 Messages
    19,927 Likes Received
    When tied or trailing late in the game, none of those guys were as aggressive as Dak, and none of them were as successful either.

15+ yard targets as a percentage of total attempts
    4th qtr/OT tied or trailing by 8 points or less
    Prescott 26.0% (20 of 77) 135.4
    Mahomes 20.8% (11 of 53) 103.2
    Goff 22.6% (7 of 31) 111.9
    Brees 20.0% (12 of 60) 56.6

16. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

57,350 Messages
    57,315 Likes Received
    This just basically means they didn't get aggressive until their backs were to the wall.

They were more concerned about controlling tempo and ToP than they were about jumping into a lead.

That is what has been different since Prescott's rookie season, I strongly suspect. I don't have data to back it up, but in retrospect, it seems we tended to have more of a tendency to get the lead and then choke the opponent out with the run. But for some reason, we seem to get all hung up on the thrill of the comeback.

That kind of model is just not sustainable. We got away with it an awful lot this past year.

Techsass and Doomsay like this.
  17. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

16,298 Messages
    19,927 Likes Received
    I was just using the standard parameters of a "Late & Close" situation.

You can change the parameters if you want. Give me something specific and I'll check it out for you.

18. northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation Well-Known Member

7,926 Messages
    6,303 Likes Received
    Prescott will always take the safer throw. He's a "protect the ball first" QB. What's Moore gonna do if Dak's mentality stays the same, get up on a stool and look him in the eye and rant. Not likely. Then again, any change is good right... isn't it?

19. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

8,541 Messages
    17,479 Likes Received
    :hammer:

CT Dal Fan likes this.
  20. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

4,654 Messages
    7,869 Likes Received
    If Gallup's struggles were Dak's fault, then how did he and Amari Cooper click right out of the gate?

A lot of rookie receivers struggle early on, and I think Gallup is going to have a huge year in 2019.