Interesting stat from AdamJT13

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Prescott will always take the safer throw. He's a "protect the ball first" QB. What's Moore gonna do if Dak's mentality stays the same, get up on a stool and look him in the eye and rant. Not likely. Then again, any change is good right... isn't it?

Dak took a lot more chances once he got a receiver he could trust in Cooper. Look at that 90 yard score to Cooper on Thanksgiving again as an example. Dak fit that ball in with three Commanders defenders around him. That was a big time throw even though Cooper got the last 60 yards or so by himself.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
This needs to improve as well:

Here’s the final point. Michael Gallup has many intriguing attributes both the Dallas Cowboys and their fanbase hope will develop into a more consistent, reliable option in 2019. But make no mistake, Gallup had a rough rookie season and should not be a lock for the starting role. He still has a lot to prove … as most second-year players do.

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/02/11/dallas-cowboys-michael-gallups-worse-think/3/
I'm not trying to say MG is perfect or can't improve but how bout we talk about all the times he & other receivers were running wide open with no pass to catch before we go down the "catch rate" rabbit hole. Bigger fish to fry if you are feelin' what I'm putting down.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Dak took a lot more chances once he got a receiver he could trust in Cooper. Look at that 90 yard score to Cooper on Thanksgiving again as an example. Dak fit that ball in with three Commanders defenders around him. That was a big time throw even though Cooper got the last 60 yards or so by himself.

Let's hope

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The problem is that this is a terrible game plan for a good team. It's an okay game plan for an outmatched team that's trying to steal wins. But when you're the better team, you want to take it to the opponent, not let them hang around...because if you keep it close, it's the other guys who may steal the win at the end.
I didn't say if it was good or bad, but that was often the plan. not sure if they didn't trust in Dak or the WRs or the passing game or allof the above..... in general. we were very conservative offensively

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
If Gallup's struggles were Dak's fault, then how did he and Amari Cooper click right out of the gate?

A lot of rookie receivers struggle early on, and I think Gallup is going to have a huge year in 2019.
He missed a lot of throws on Amari too. Missed Gallup wide open on at least 5 deep throws and most likely 3-4 of them wouldve been 50+ yard house calls. Add 250+ yards and 3 -4 tds to Gallups stats and see if he struggled.

Aven8

Reaction score
That's my single biggest frustration with the offense. He should be used like Russell Wilson is, or was, to run for 7-8 yards and convert first downs. I have no idea why they don't do that more. I suspect the front office is overjoyed at having a decent QB and is terrified of him getting hurt.

Dude is built like a tank. I have no idea why they worry about him getting hurt. We had games last year where he never ran the ball once. Maddening!!!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Percentage of team's pass attempts that gained 20+ yards

4th qtr/OT margin 8 points or less
Rams 11.9%
Chiefs 11.6%
Cowboys 11.4%
Saints 8.9%

All other situations
Chiefs 13.3%
Rams 12.2%
Saints 11.8%
Cowboys 6.5%

Lol.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not trying to say MG is perfect or can't improve but how bout we talk about all the times he & other receivers were running wide open with no pass to catch before we go down the "catch rate" rabbit hole. Bigger fish to fry if you are feelin' what I'm putting down.

The statement in the OP, was not that he couldn't become a very good receiver. It stated that his performances were spotty for the number of throws that he did receive...that may be from a variety of accumulative reasons. But it can't be argued that inconsistency wasn't registered on a percentage of catches/to throws statistical look.

That does have to change.

I think that he and Dak Prescott can get on the same sheet of music. Also, he won't be a rookie this season...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I said in another thread, look for Moore to be bold and aggressive consistently trying to push the ball downfield. I'd be shocked if we don't see an increase in 20+ yards plays.

#1 you need the Oline to be able to give you time to go deep. #2 you need the scheme with play action, roll outs, one on one matchups to be able to go deep. Starting next year would should at least 2 of those 3. Moore is an unknown. I find it hard to believe this offense will much different as long as the hapless Garrett is HC.

pansophy

Reaction score
I said in another thread, look for Moore to be bold and aggressive consistently trying to push the ball downfield. I'd be shocked if we don't see an increase in 20+ yards plays.

Perhaps a contributing factor as to why Dak has so many game winning drives. We didn't put up enough points early in games.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
He missed a lot of throws on Amari too. Missed Gallup wide open on at least 5 deep throws and most likely 3-4 of them wouldve been 50+ yard house calls. Add 250+ yards and 3 -4 tds to Gallups stats and see if he struggled.
Yup if he didn’t miss Amari

Amari would have 30 TDS 3000 yards

SSoup

Reaction score
This is one of those worm holes.

DAL sunk a fortune into the OL and Zeke and wanted to run the ball.
Forgoing that they'd have frankly looked stupid.

All evidence points to passing efficiency as the way to win in the NFL. This is largely because passing results in big chunks that lead to points and 3rd downs being passing downs 80% of the time.

EXCEPT from the divisional round on the team that ran the ball more effectively won every game.
Also worth mentioning: for the last couple years, many of our losses resulted from under-using Elliott and the running game (especially near the goalline, but also in terms of the bigger-picture game-wide stats) or killer negative plays that occurred on specific instances of unnecessary passing play calls. Picks or sack-fumbles or penalties by our run-blocking linemen who were trying to dig a little extra deep to pass-protect. When a drive ends with a turnover or gets stalled thanks to a penalty digging us a hole, if it came on a passing play that was entirely unnecessary, it means we shot ourselves in the foot.

When a killer mistake happens on a 3rd & long passing play, that's the cost of doing business. When that killer mistake happens on a 1st & 10 pass or a 2nd & medium/short pass or a 3rd & 1, then congratulations on outsmarting yourself when you'd have been better off lining up and handing it off on a generic run play (and, let's be honest, when you have an all-world RB and have invested numerous 1st rounders into your interior o-line, your generic run plays should be basically your best plays anyway).

So I think we'd have been better off the last few years if we ran even more, not less. I can't think of many games that Elliott suited up for where we lost the game and I came out of the game saying, "Oh, bananas! We really blew it by running the ball so much." Not many instances of that. Probably not a single one.

I can think of plenty of games where we lost and I came out of the game saying, "Um, that wasn't anything close to a shootout. It was a close game and a good day for running, and our playcaller was inexplicably trying to get Dak 40+ passes while Elliott's carry total was in the teens. What?" I can think of plenty of games where we lost and I came out of the game saying, "Um, if every one of the passes we threw at the goalline had been a generic running play instead, we'd have settled for fewer FGs and won. What?"

Added to which: the people who hate, hate, hate our coaches are largely the same people who want us to become a high-flying passing offense. And yet, when people criticize our coaches or praise other teams' coaches, they claim to want coaches who adapt to use the kind of players they have instead of forcing their system on the wrong players. But we spent 3 1st rounders on the o-line, two of which were interior road-graders, and we spent a top 5 pick on a RB even though the NFL is a passing league and RBs grow on trees. We have zero high picks at TE. We have 1 good high pick at WR. Given that that's the way we've constructed our roster, it can be said that a coach would be wisely adapting to our roster if they ran more, not less. Yet people want us to be the Greatest Show on Turf with a roster built to run an old-school Marty Schottenheimer offense.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Or unless it's late in a close game, when he becomes much more aggressive.

Prescott's 15+ yard targets as a percentage of total attempts
25.7% 26 of 101

all other situations
14.1% 83 of 589

15+ yard targets as a percentage of total attempts
Prescott 25.7%
Mahomes 23.8%
Brees 23.2%
Goff 20.2%

What percentage were while trailing as opposed to leading in those situations?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Brady
Brees
Rivers
Mahomes
Luck
Foles
Goff
Dak

Those were the final quarterbacks left this year.

Only pocket passers win in the NFL unless you have the best defense in football.

That's why I want to focus on the defense. It's why dallas won this year