iPhone 4

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;3445900 said:
The metal has a really nice feel in your hand, too. It feels more sturdy. The old iPhones feel so cheap and bulky now.

If Apple had been smart, they would have given it a side/back case like the iPad. That would have been an awesome iPhone case. I will admit that the old iPhone metal side/back being shiny easily showed finger prints and scratches and made the phone look old and worn over time even if you took care of it. My iPod Touch only looks new because it's been in a case since the day I bought it. I really think the glass back on the iPhone 4 was a huge mistake by Apple.

-Reality

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Reality;3445911 said:
If Apple had been smart, they would have given it a side/back case like the iPad. That would have been an awesome iPhone case. I will admit that the old iPhone metal side/back being shiny easily showed finger prints and scratches and made the phone look old and worn over time even if you took care of it. My iPod Touch only looks new because it's been in a case since the day I bought it. I really think the glass back on the iPhone 4 was a huge mistake by Apple.

-Reality
Nah, I love the glass on the back. It's unusually smooth to the touch.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;3445943 said:
Nah, I love the glass on the back. It's unusually smooth to the touch.

The new iPhone 4 still looks to me just like every other touch screen smartphone out there. Yes it has glass on the back which is a huge negative to me, but beyond that, when I see them side-by-side with other android based phones, it looks no different outside of a silver side which would have been a lot more impressive had it covered the back side as well.

To me putting a glass backside on the iPhone 4 would be the equivalent of having a glass screen on the back of an LCD/LED TV or a the outside top/bottom of a laptop. It's just pointless and increases the chances it of damage should you drop it.

The iOS and feature set of the iPhone 4 is really impressive but the design to me took a big step backwards. I'll wait for the next revision which I can almost guarantee you will not have a glass backside on it. Unfortunately, it will likely be 2011 before that happens.

-Reality

Hoofbite

Reaction score
casmith07;3445855 said:
The bumpers actually don't look terrible. I'm considering trying a black one.

I just don't like the idea of my phone hitting the ground and cracking, because I'll inevitably drop it.

Flat black, baby.

Murdered out!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
http://gizmodo.com/5575347/video-clearly-shows-antenna-defect-on-iphone-4-web-browser

Looks like just touching the antenna area can completely screw up data speed, Gizmodo says about 40% of people are effected, and here I thought it was all devices.

It kind of strikes me as odd that it would affect some phones and not others.

There's a petition now to get Apple to either fix the problem or throw in free bumpers. I'd prefer a fix.

http://gizmodo.com/5573177/apple-do-the-right-thing-and-give-away-the-iphone-bumpers

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3446123 said:
http://gizmodo.com/5575347/video-clearly-shows-antenna-defect-on-iphone-4-web-browser

Looks like just touching the antenna area can completely screw up data speed, Gizmodo says about 40% of people are effected, and here I thought it was all devices.

There's a petition now to get Apple to either fix the problem or throw in free bumpers. I'd prefer a fix.

http://gizmodo.com/5573177/apple-do-the-right-thing-and-give-away-the-iphone-bumpers
If true, then the rumors that it's a manufacturing defect in which some antennas did not receive a special coating seem more likely. Or it's somehow a software glitch depending on localized network issues.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;3446123 said:
I suspect that iPhone 4 users with either really strong signals or physically closer to cell towers are less likely to experience the effect.

As a side note .. most people do not realize that the signal meters on their phones show full when the signal they are receiving is considered strong enough for full phone usage. Meaning, one person in one area of town could have a full signal/bars while another person in another area of town could also have a full signal/bars but the second person's signal strength could be 2+ times stronger than the first person's signal strength.

A similar analogy would be two people listening to the same radio station in their car. Both people could have solid static-free signals but if one is located right next to the radio's broadcast tower while the other is on the other side of town, the person on the other side of town would be more susceptible to static and/or signal loss from outside interference.

I would definitely want the phone fixed or replaced. While I would already have a cover of some sort on my phone, I would not want to be forced to have one on it simply to compensate for a design flaw. Now all of that of course is assuming the problem is a design flaw and cannot be corrected with a software update.

-Reality

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
http://gizmodo.com/5575302/this-is-the-safest-and-most-beautiful-iphone-4-money-can-buy

Now this would be cool.

500x_col_iphone_man.jpg

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I like the design aspect of the iPhone 4, but as clumsy as I am, I could never have a phone with that much glass on it.

I currently have a Motorola Droid. This thing could be used as a weapon. I've already dropped it multiple times and nothin'. I love it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
[youtube]o5JQdgvzuL0[/youtube]

Here's a "commercial" Ducati shot entirely on the iPhone 4's camera.

One thing that bugs me is that the camera makes some shots look amazing, especially when there's ample light.

But once shadows come into play, things get a little trickier.

The video was edited on a computer though and image stabilization software was utilized to quiet all the hand shaking.

It's impressive, but not spectacular. Pretty darn good for a phone no matter how you slice it though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Here's a video basically proving that it's an issue of "shorting" the two antennas. I have no idea how you could possibly fix this with a software upgrade. I think the solution is simply making the gap between the two antennas bigger. If you try to "short" them by connecting them from an inch apart, it doesn't work. It's beyond bizarre that Apple didn't consider this/fix this during the design process.

[youtube]kgouzUMlQpY[/youtube]

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You could update the software to make it show full bars whether you have a signal or not :D :D

-Reality

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Reality;3446935 said:
You could update the software to make it show full bars whether you have a signal or not :D :D

-Reality

my bars go to eleven. most blokes only have three bars

xout

Believer
Reaction score
I get the signal issue when the phone is naked, but since I've had a case I haven't had any problems with the phone at all.

I love the retina display, and the quickness and reaction time compared to my 3g is amazing.

15ott0k.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/15ott0k.jpg

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
For games look up Canabalt. Love it.

Oh and Rope-N-Fly 2. GREAT game.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
No different from the "CDMA engineer" jobs they had open up years ago, and still no Verizon iPhone.