iPhone 4

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
casmith07;3447512 said:
No different from the "CDMA engineer" jobs they had open up years ago, and still no Verizon iPhone.

What are you saying? They are going to hire antenna engineers and not fix their antenna issues? :D

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
casmith07;3447512 said:
No different from the "CDMA engineer" jobs they had open up years ago, and still no Verizon iPhone.
Bloomberg is reporting Verizon will have iPhones in early 2011.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
nyc;3447278 said:
Steve Jobs said it wasn't a hardware problem, it was a user problem due to the way they were holding the phone.

What do you know! Three new positions just opened up at Apple. :laugh2:
  1. Antenna engineer job position 1
  2. Antenna engineer job position 2
  3. Antenna engineer job position 3

Personally I think its to grant them credibility in the eventual law suits. You don't want to go on the defense stand with these issues confirmed and having no proof you've done anything to try and fix the issue.

At least you can say hey, we hired 3 to 4 new engineers just for antenna issues. We aren't being negligent.

Especially after Jobs comes out and says it's an issue with how your hand is built, not how the phone is built.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3447559 said:
Personally I think its to grant them credibility in the eventual law suits. You don't want to go on the defense stand with these issues confirmed and having no proof you've done anything to try and fix the issue.

At least you can say hey, we hired 3 to 4 new engineers just for antenna issues. We aren't being negligent.

Especially after Jobs comes out and says it's an issue with how your hand is built, not how the phone is built.
I think it's just pure coincidence. If anything, this would hurt them in litigation (i.e., evidence that they're knowingly continuing to sell faulty products).

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
theogt;3447556 said:
Bloomberg is reporting Verizon will have iPhones in early 2011.

:cop:

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm so sick of the Verizon iPhone rumors.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
casmith07;3447581 said:
:cop:

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm so sick of the Verizon iPhone rumors.
Bloomberg isn't like some blog speculation.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3447575 said:

Long read, but one thing I took away from it is that a case really is the answer which kind of makes me wonder why Apple didn't just coat the sides with some thin film or plastic.

I still think it's impossible they didn't notice this before they released it. There's just no way.

And the fact that they would announce bumpers for it, having never done anything like that before, makes the whole thing stink.

They knew about the issue and their bright idea was to charge customers 30 bucks for a fix? That's downright criminal.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3447588 said:
Long read, but one thing I took away from it is that a case really is the answer which kind of makes me wonder why Apple didn't just coat the sides with some thin film or plastic.

I still think it's impossible they didn't notice this before they released it. There's just no way.

And the fact that they would announce bumpers for it, having never done anything like that before, makes the whole thing stink.

They knew about the issue and their bright idea was to charge customers 30 bucks for a fix? That's downright criminal.
The fix is extremely simple, though. You just separate the two antennas by more than the current millimeter of plastic. You can just put a dummy metal band between them (i.e., have another break at the very bottom of the phone). Then it's impossible to short the two antennas -- problem solved.

Either, (A) they realized this and rejected the fix, or (B) they didn't realize it at all. Either way, it looks REALLY bad for them.

Lucky for me, it doesn't cause a problem with loss of data or dropped calls. Otherwise, I'd be taking the phone back.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I went back over that link, man that's an amazing review of the phone. I had just read the bit about the antenna but the whole review is very very good.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
theogt;3447584 said:
Bloomberg isn't like some blog speculation.

Neither is Wall Street Journal, and I'm still waiting on that spring announcement for the Verizon iPhone.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Well, I've officially now had more dropped calls with the iPhone 4 than I ever had with the 3GS.

I'm pretty upset about it. Considering leaving AT&T and I'll talk it over with the fiancee tonight when she gets in from work. I'll hedge my bets on this mythological Verizon iPhone, because the reception issues and dropped calls have been absolutely pathetic.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3447934 said:
Well, I've officially now had more dropped calls with the iPhone 4 than I ever had with the 3GS.

I'm pretty upset about it. Considering leaving AT&T and I'll talk it over with the fiancee tonight when she gets in from work. I'll hedge my bets on this mythological Verizon iPhone, because the reception issues and dropped calls have been absolutely pathetic.

Anyone could have told you that you would have had that problem, a year ago.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3447937 said:
Anyone could have told you that you would have had that problem, a year ago.

Nah, man. In the entire year I had my iPhone 3GS, I've now had MORE dropped calls in 6 days with the iPhone 4. It's supposed to be a step UP not down.

I'm hoping there is some merit to those Verizon iPhone rumors.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
casmith07;3447943 said:
Nah, man. In the entire year I had my iPhone 3GS, I've now had MORE dropped calls in 6 days with the iPhone 4. It's supposed to be a step UP not down.

I'm hoping there is some merit to those Verizon iPhone rumors.
I haven't dropped a call yet. And the call quality seems to be MUCH MUCH better. Odd.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
theogt;3447954 said:
I haven't dropped a call yet. And the call quality seems to be MUCH MUCH better. Odd.

It's pissing me off. Full bars and the call dropped 3 times driving home from my grandmother's house. Absolutely inexcusable. Add to that fact that Verizon gets signal on the Metro in tunnels in Washington DC and AT&T doesn't, and it's becoming harder and harder to keep putting up with AT&T for the iPhone.

Man I hope those rumors aren't just another tease for the millionth time.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
TheCount;3447600 said:
I went back over that link, man that's an amazing review of the phone. I had just read the bit about the antenna but the whole review is very very good.

Anandtech is the best in the business at tech reviews. They have a focus on computer hardware mainly, but they've started getting into reviews of phones/mobile operating systems/etc. They're great.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
casmith07;3447959 said:
It's pissing me off. Full bars and the call dropped 3 times driving home from my grandmother's house. Absolutely inexcusable. Add to that fact that Verizon gets signal on the Metro in tunnels in Washington DC and AT&T doesn't, and it's becoming harder and harder to keep putting up with AT&T for the iPhone.

Man I hope those rumors aren't just another tease for the millionth time.

Sticking with a carrier for a phone is becoming more and more silly, IMO. No top of the line phone is that much better than another top of the line phone that you need to actually put up with crappy carriers.

When the first iPhone came out, could you have said it was worth going with AT&T because nothing else could compare? Sure. Now? No way.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I've had some issues with ATT but I'll be sticking with them because I get a pretty bad *** discount.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ozzu;3448071 said:
Sticking with a carrier for a phone is becoming more and more silly, IMO. No top of the line phone is that much better than another top of the line phone that you need to actually put up with crappy carriers.

When the first iPhone came out, could you have said it was worth going with AT&T because nothing else could compare? Sure. Now? No way.
I would have agreed before the iPhone 4. But this thing is way ahead of everything else out there right now. There may be phones that can match the hardware, but when you add in design and UI, I wouldn't consider anything else personally.