Is anyone watching the AAF?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I've been watching parts of these games and I think it could actually work out if given time. The Alliance could be a what the old NFL Europe was- a developmental league for "fringe" roster players. If baseball can have a minor league system, maybe football can, too. Maybe each NFL division can send players to each of the eight AAF teams in the future.

Two things going for the AAF- it's not trying to compete with the NFL and it's "real" football- not that weird stuff we saw with the XFL how many years ago.

cern

Reaction score
No. Watched enough pretend football in my time. Curious, though. Is this league solely for entertainment, a farm league for the nfl, or does it intend to compete with the nfl. Anyone?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have never understood the charm.

So I am a company. I want my patch on that jersey. Okay.

What is the big deal? Why would it mean a huge exchange of consideration and at some point, cash?

How often are you influenced by stuff like that? How about how a stadium is branded?

I am sorry. Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I just don't find myself being so easily influenced by a logo and/or brand label.

I don't give a rip who the moment is sponsored by.

I chuckled at a Bud Light commercial on Sunday.

That does not mean I am intellectually stunted and will now start to buy that product.

It's not about a direct sales pitch like the Shopping Network or late night get rich quick advertising.

It's about creating group-think mentalities.

We've seen around here the power of group-think concepts. Somebody starts a narrative (often a media person) and people just on board like it's a life raft.

Narratives that have caused thousands of posts:

The Cowboys will trade for Earl Thomas.

Bryan Broaddus says (a few years ago) "Marinelli is going to Tampa Bay after the season".

Back to specific advertising. De Beers hired an Ad Agency in the forties that created the concept of Diamond Engagement/Wedding rings that had not been a concept previously. They were able to show celebrities with big Diamond rings and many other methods such that it became unthinkable for an engagement ring to not be a diamond.

Even people that are not influenced directly by advertising end up influenced by the followers. If I hear multiple people say that Beats headphones are great, then if I'm buying headphones that will be in my mind. In reality many of those people proclaim them great because it's cool to do it, not because they've actually compared them to other headphones.

CPanther95

Reaction score
No. Watched enough pretend football in my time. Curious, though. Is this league solely for entertainment, a farm league for the nfl, or does it intend to compete with the nfl. Anyone?

They have no intention of competing with the NFL since it is backed by the NFL. It is to simply pee on the XFL's Wheaties.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Mostly developmental, give some of the fringe guys experience and live reps. Plenty of guys that didn't quite stick or getting a second chance for a variety of reasons. There is entertainment value, not through gimmicks, but through the pace of play and rules tweaks. It knows what it is and it's not trying to compete with the NFL, just give fans and players a chance at more football.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I've been watching parts of these games and I think it could actually work out if given time. The Alliance could be a what the old NFL Europe was- a developmental league for "fringe" roster players. If baseball can have a minor league system, maybe football can, too. Maybe each NFL division can send players to each of the eight AAF teams in the future.

Two things going for the AAF- it's not trying to compete with the NFL and it's "real" football- not that weird stuff we saw with the XFL how many years ago.
I wonder if they eventually go the allocation route like NFL Europe.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

I wonder how the AAF will compete with the XFL when it comes back next year. I feel like what the XFL has planned could potentially produce a good product.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL_(2020)

CPanther95

Reaction score

The XFL is going to spend a lot of money based on the premise that all the hype about the number of people ticked off at the NFL is real.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Everyone on the field knew it wasn't a catch but the replay guy couldn't see it?

The fix is in! Conspiracy! :muttley: