Is Dak the Future of the Dallas Cowboys?

Is Dak the future at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Unfortunately this team is all in on Dak already, they are just so happy that they do not have to find anyone else at this point. The only way he doesn't get a huge contract is if Garrett is fired and the new incoming coach wants his own guy at QB because he feels that he cannot win with Dak.

We will know soon enough if Dak is the guy, can he beat defenses that are stacking the box to stop Zeke. If he can't make defenses pay when they are daring him to beat them then it will be a very long year for Zeke and us.
What team had a new HC come in and change the QB with his guy? Just curious.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Jimmy J, drafted Aikman. Cowboys fall on their face this yr the new coach will have a chance to draft a stud QB.
Steve Pelluer, lol. He never started an entire season, poor example. Who wouldn't have replaced him?

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Thanks - I must have short term memory...I'll look for it, as its bringing back memories.
It was right after the cowboys were eliminated from the playoffs, mid December maybe early Jan. I made it so just look for my pic.

Proof

Reaction score
Proof is in the pudding. I've looked at his college career games and two years of the Pro's. Can he improve, yes. Remember, he
is still a 4th round draft pick QB and how many of those make it to Championship games. He's not Romo but, maybe in the right offense
he can be productive. We'll see! Jerry thought QC was the next great QB too.

Of course you need proof, I’m not saying he’ll be this or that, just that we need time to evaluate. His college career was great, his senior bowl great, his first year phenomenal so I’ll give the benefit of the doubt.

rags747

Reaction score
Steve Pelluer, lol. He never started an entire season, poor example. Who wouldn't have replaced him?
Funny stuff, u said name a coach that came in and replaced the QB, I give u one from decades ago and it's a poor example. Anyway, we go in the tank this yr and we will have a shot at one of the top qb's coming out, I think thats a perfect scenario for a new coach to align himself with a new QB. Now if Dak lights it up this year and makes defenses pay when they bait him then it's a whole other story obviously.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
I voted yes, simply because I'm hoping he performs at a level like he did in 2016. Now, will he do that? there is the problem.....:)

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Funny stuff, u said name a coach that came in and replaced the QB, I give u one from decades ago and it's a poor example. Anyway, we go in the tank this yr and we will have a shot at one of the top qb's coming out, I think thats a perfect scenario for a new coach to align himself with a new QB. Now if Dak lights it up this year and makes defenses pay when they bait him then it's a whole other story obviously.
Sorry, it was a bad example. He was never considered a franchise QB. Apples to Oranges.
Dak didn't have NEARLY as bad a season as some like to think. If you compare his 1st and 2nd seasons they're awfully close. That was my roundabout point to those who have the assumption Dak is/could tank. What WAS different is the talent around him.

I'm not all in on any player, Dak included. However some fans around here are still mourning the loss of Romo and it's sad that they are more supportive a 2nd year QB.

Ken

Reaction score
I will do that

Dak Prescott 1st 2 seasons
45 TD's 17 INT's 13 fumbles (7 lost) 6991 passing yards 7.4 YPA, 65.2 completion percentage

Dan Marino
68 TD's 23 INT's 0 fumbles 7294 passing yards 8.4 YPA, 62.2 completion percentage

* Dan Marino did this playing only 11 games as a rookie and 16 in his 2nd season and playing in an era where DB could tackle a receiver down the field and not get called for pass interference. There are many more examples of QB's who produced more that Dak has

Now Dak did run more than Marino and has 12 TD's rushing but he is nowhere the QB Dan Marino was
Interesting. Even though my statement was really about current 2nd year qbs but that is my bad...it took you to go back to Dan Marino to find better first 2 year stats...lol

I will say...Marino literally had no running game and never got sacked in large part to him getting rid of the ball so quick.

He also couldn't move to save his life so of course you have to negate Daks 12 rushing tds...some of which could have been passing td ops.

I think this post illustrates the ridiculousness of saying Dak isn't the future of the Cowboys as well as any.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Interesting. Even though my statement was really about current 2nd year qbs but that is my bad...it took you to go back to Dan Marino to find better first 2 year stats...lol

I will say...Marino literally had no running game and never got sacked in large part to him getting rid of the ball so quick.

He also couldn't move to save his life so of course you have to negate Daks 12 rushing tds...some of which could have been passing td ops.

I think this post illustrates the ridiculousness of saying Dak isn't the future of the Cowboys as well as any.
Good point.

Also, 13 fumbles/7 lost = agenda, lol.

LittleD

Reaction score
Of course you need proof, I’m not saying he’ll be this or that, just that we need time to evaluate. His college career was great, his senior bowl great, his first year phenomenal so I’ll give the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with you that his college tapes when he was a junior were outstanding...senior year not as much. He needs a well defined set of offensive players to help him succeed. Zeke is a big asset along with our OL, at least the
2016 version. He was great in that RPO offense that allowed him to play pass off his running skills. The pros don't allow that near as much and QB's don't last that long in the NFL when they depend on running...ask RG3.
I'm willing to give him this year to see if he can master the Linehan offense design but, I would not sign him to a 17mil+ long term contract until he proves it.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Dak v.2016 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Romo v.2003 (1st year in NFL)
Dak v.2017 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Romo v.2004 (2nd year in NFL)

Dak v.2016 >> Dak v.2017 (Dak's 1st year vs. Dak's 2nd year)

Romo v.2007 > Dak v.2016 (Romo's 5th year vs. Dak's 1st year)

Romo v.2014 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dak v.2016 >> Dak v.2017 (Romo's 12th year vs. Dak's 1st & 2nd years)

That's why people are mourning the loss of Romo. But Dak is AHEAD of Romo's pace in development. The question is where he tops out at. Will he achieve Romo's level of performance? You do realize that you can simultaneously mourn the loss of Romo, AND ALSO believe Dak is developing pretty well as a young QB. Right? The two things are NOT mutually exclusive.

(I don't understand fans who try to force people into Romo's camp vs. Dak's camp. I reside in BOTH camps.)

Proof

Reaction score
I agree with you that his college tapes when he was a junior were outstanding...senior year not as much. He needs a well defined set of offensive players to help him succeed. Zeke is a big asset along with our OL, at least the
2016 version. He was great in that RPO offense that allowed him to play pass off his running skills. The pros don't allow that near as much and QB's don't last that long in the NFL when they depend on running...ask RG3.
I'm willing to give him this year to see if he can master the Linehan offense design but, I would not sign him to a 17mil+ long term contract until he proves it.

I agree for the most part, I just attribute a lot of the flaws we saw to the pounding he took. Compounded by no zeke, Dez’s terrible year etc. give him better protection and I think he bounces back. Give him zeke , hopefully a more focused Dez and Hurns and I think there’s a lot of apologies issued

Ken

Reaction score
Dak v.2016 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Romo v.2003 (1st year in NFL)
Dak v.2017 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Romo v.2004 (2nd year in NFL)

Dak v.2016 >> Dak v.2017 (Dak's 1st year vs. Dak's 2nd year)

Romo v.2007 > Dak v.2016 (Romo's 5th year vs. Dak's 1st year)

Romo v.2014 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dak v.2016 >> Dak v.2017 (Romo's 12th year vs. Dak's 1st & 2nd years)

That's why people are mourning the loss of Romo. But Dak is AHEAD of Romo's pace in development. The question is where he tops out at. Will he achieve Romo's level of performance? You do realize that you can simultaneously mourn the loss of Romo, AND ALSO believe Dak is developing pretty well as a young QB. Right? The two things are NOT mutually exclusive.

(I don't understand fans who try to force people into Romo's camp vs. Dak's camp. I reside in BOTH camps.)
I understand it as well as anyone. I loved and defended Romo all the time. I dreaded the day he was going to be gone because I feared a long drought before another would come along.

If someone would have told me back in 2014 that when Romo was done we would have a q.b. who was rookie of the year and a pro bowler and threw 45 t ds and rushed for 12 more by his second season...i and anyone else would have been elated.

Somehow people are upset he isn't perfect in his second year with a lot of variables thrown into the mix.

Wizarus

Reaction score
Easy to see Romo being away from Dak had an effect on him(as well as almost everyone). Even if Dak has potential, he's never going to achieve it here with this coaching staff. It's just like Dez talking about finally getting Route training, like what on earth is going on here?

LittleD

Reaction score
Easy to see Romo being away from Dak had an effect on him(as well as almost everyone). Even if Dak has potential, he's never going to achieve it here with this coaching staff. It's just like Dez talking about finally getting Route training, like what on earth is going on here?

Dak with Romo in his ear and in the QB room is a far cry from Linehan. Romo could make a "silk purse" QB out of a sow's ear. Dak needs lots of coaching from someone who knows and he trusts.
Not anyone on the team or staff like that now.

jnday

Reaction score
This last year was a good indication about the level that Dak can play. He is not Romo, Staubach, White or Aikman. Dak's rookie season was a total surprise, even for himself. Being from Mississippi, I saw just about every game he played. Great kid, but he doesn't have elite QB attention. The very same complaints about him this last season matched his college play. Accuracy, reading defenses, etc, problems that he faced in college. There was a big reason why he was a 4th round pick. He will be a average QB and at times, he might not play that well. I do wish him the best as a person. I wish every Cowboys had his personality and work ethic.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I agree for the most part, I just attribute a lot of the flaws we saw to the pounding he took. Compounded by no zeke, Dez’s terrible year etc. give him better protection and I think he bounces back. Give him zeke , hopefully a more focused Dez and Hurns and I think there’s a lot of apologies issued

He actually had a terrible 1/2 year. The first half of the season was actually pretty good. If not for the defense collapsing, the Cowboys would have been 7-1 at the half-way point, same as Dak's first season.

Compare Dak's overall QB performance over the 4 halves of his 1st two seasons. There is a definite fall off in the 2nd half of last year. He is likely to recover from that.

Dak's 2016 season - 1st half
  • Completion Rate - 165 completions / 248 attempts = 0.6653
  • Yards/Attempt - 2020 yards / 248 attempts = 8.1451 ypa
  • TD Rate - 12 TD / 248 attempts = 0.04839
  • INT Rate - 2 INT / 248 attempts = 0.00806
  • Passer Rating - (a+b+c+d)/6 x 100 = 104.24
    • Factor A - (0.6653 -.3) x 5 = 1.8265
    • Factor B - (8.1451 - 3) x 0.25 = 1.2863
    • Factor C - (0.04839 x 20) = 0.9678
    • Factor D - 2.375 - (0.00806 x 25) = 2.1735
Dak's 2017 season - 2nd half
  • Completion Rate - 146 completions / 211 attempts = 0.6919
  • Yards/Attempt - 1647 yards / 211 attempts = 7.8057 ypa
  • TD Rate - 11 TD / 211 attempts = 0.05213
  • INT Rate - 2 INT / 211 attempts = 0.00948
  • Passer Rating - (a+b+c+d)/6 x 100 = 105.69
    • Factor A - (0.6919 -.3) x 5 = 1.9595
    • Factor B - (7.8057 - 3) x 0.25 = 1.2014
    • Factor C - (0.05213 x 20) = 1.0426
    • Factor D - 2.375 - (0.00948 x 25) = 2.1380

Dak's 2017 season - 1st half
  • Completion Rate - 163 completions / 259 attempts = 0.6293
  • Yards/Attempt - 1818 yards / 259 attempts = 7.0193 ypa
  • TD Rate - 16 TD / 259 attempts = 0.06178
  • INT Rate - 4 INT / 259 attempts = 0.01544
  • Passer Rating - (a+b+c+d)/6 x 100 = 97.93
    • Factor A - (0.6293 -.3) x 5 = 1.6465
    • Factor B - (7.0193 - 3) x 0.25 = 1.0048
    • Factor C - (0.06178 x 20) = 1.2356
    • Factor D - 2.375 - (0.01544 x 25) = 1.9890
Dak's 2017 season - 2nd half
  • Completion Rate - 145 completions / 231 attempts = 0.6277
  • Yards/Attempt - 1506 yards / 231 attempts = 6.5195 ypa
  • TD Rate - 6 TD / 231 attempts = 0.02597
  • INT Rate - 9 INT / 231 attempts = 0.03896
  • Passer Rating - (a+b+c+d)/6 x 100 = 73.98
    • Factor A - (0.6277 -.3) x 5 = 1.6385
    • Factor B - (6.5195 - 3) x 0.25 = 0.8799
    • Factor C - (0.02597 x 20) = 0.5194
    • Factor D - 2.375 - (0.03896 x 25) = 1.4010

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I understand it as well as anyone. I loved and defended Romo all the time. I dreaded the day he was going to be gone because I feared a long drought before another would come along.

If someone would have told me back in 2014 that when Romo was done we would have a q.b. who was rookie of the year and a pro bowler and threw 45 t ds and rushed for 12 more by his second season...i and anyone else would have been elated.

Somehow people are upset he isn't perfect in his second year with a lot of variables thrown into the mix.

Maybe you're oversensitive. Dak had a precipitous drop in performance in the 2nd half of 2016, and he's deserving of the criticism he's getting for his lack of performance in the last 8 games of 2017. Check out numbers above.