Is DaRon Bland a true superstar or a scheme guy like Richard Sherman?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Tap the brakes on superstar but Bland has excellent instincts jumping routes. Although he’s good in coverage he hasn’t proven to be shutdown corner. He’s developed into a very good corner but let’s not get carried away.
If Sauce Gardner had Bland’s stats he would be in the player of the year conversation. Bland is the best corner from his class.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Is this a Richard Sherman situation or would Bland be a stud on any team regardless of scheme?
That play showed elite hands, elite technique, elite closing speed and elite athleticism to catch the ball, roll and spring to his feet. The guy is a player.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
3 studly years in San Francisco show that Sherman wasn't just a scheme guy. I called him one before that, but those Niners seasons proved me wrong.

Aftershock

Reaction score
Is this a Richard Sherman situation or would Bland be a stud on any team regardless of scheme?
No amount of genius scheme can force a player to just happen to get 5 pick sixes in a season lol.

Sherman was never really an elite CB in his career, he happened to have a STACKED defense helping him and he always went against #2/#3 receivers with help over over the top (all pro Earl Thomas).

Everytime he went against a true #1 he got wrecked.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer the overall question (scheme vs skill), but ...

Today's INT was pure skill. The WR WAS open when Young was in the process of throwing it, Bland just closed the gap with an amazing burst, caught the pass and had enough awareness and balance to get up and score.

I would say for most of his INTs, it's been more skill than scheme. But his overall ability to lock down his guy could be more scheme.

In any case, I don't care. He's earned every bit of praise and think that he can be successful in any defensive scheme in the NFL.

JMHO
:starspin:

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I don't think of Sherman as purely a system player. Its hard to make 6 pro bowls and 3 all-pros as a system player. Maybe you make a pro bowl or 2, or are regarded as a good player, but not a hall of famer which is what Sherman will be one day.

For Bland he deserves his success, if it was that easy to play as part of the system surely players like Joseph and Wright would have made the most of their oppprtunities here as higher draft picks.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Sherman was a special player. He used his mind and physicality and dominated at what's considered a finesse position. Surely he was more than a system player.

Bland, I'm sure would excel in any system, but playing in Q's defense with this pass rush and this group of safeties surely plays a part. It's probably not a coincidence that we're seeing high turnover numbers being produced by that defense. Quinn looks for ball hawks and puts them in position to create chaos. I love it!

Either way, I'm glad he's on the team. Impressive player that hasn't reached his peak. If only Diggs had stayed healthy. Man.....

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
With that type of explosiveness in-stride, stop-start, and in change of direction, he can recover even when he messes up in man and can break on balls at an extreme level out of a zone drop.

He lacks ideal size but he is plenty physical in pursuit and his tackling.

He should be all pro.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Sorry but this is a dumb question.

We play more man than just about every team. You have to be a very athletic to play CB in this D and you must be ver athletic and very smart to make the plays Bland makes. Often Bland doesn’t react to the play, he anticipates the play. Similar to Deon as a CB or Sean Lee as a LBer. Playing CB in a zone scheme is so much easier than playing in a man scheme. Sherman played in a zone scheme which was made for his talents. Long physical CB that usual had deep help.