Is DaRon Bland a true superstar or a scheme guy like Richard Sherman?

Flamma

Reaction score
Bland is on the spot more often than not. You don't get four pick sixes by happenstance or accident. We still have 7 games left. It's a combination of talent, mainly, and a football sense of where to be. He's a smart player. That's what separated Sean Lee from a lot of LBs.

How does a WR allow a DB to do this all in one motion. Get a lunging interception, tuck and roll, and still beat you to the endzone. Of course I knew who it was before they said the name.

Cowboyluck

Reaction score
Congrats to the coaches if he is a system cornerback for putting him in the right defense scheme. Or congrats coaches for finding an excellent talent in the 5th round. Either way it’s a win win now for the cowboys.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The breaking on the ball speed and coverage skills he showed on yesterday’s int was special. That route isn’t easy to cover. He’s one of those guys that’s faster than his 40 time reveals.
It's a rare play by a DB. At best, the DB is trying to just keep up with the WR across the field and maybe knock the ball down. Diggs had a similar INT vs LAC back in 2021, which was an unbelievable play. I believe Gilmore also had a similar INT while with the Patriots vs Dallas back in 2019 vs Amari.

Bland has shown that he has excellent burst and ball skills, especially when cutting forward or laterally.

Aven8

Reaction score
Looks like a Superstar to me. And Sherman was a stud in any scheme.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hes better than Sherman. Its not really that debatable. Sherman was a different style db to be fair. He was mugging receivers all the time, but got away with it. In todays league, you just wont get away with that style very often. Bland is a pure cover guy that relies on his instincts and athletic ability. His hands are elite for a cb. Very rare for a cb.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Looks like a Superstar to me. And Sherman was a stud in any scheme.
any? Nah..he was a stud in that Seattle DQ scheme because they had him in man to man where he could be very physical and aggressive, But you put him in zone and thats not his game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Congrats to the coaches if he is a system cornerback for putting him in the right defense scheme. Or congrats coaches for finding an excellent talent in the 5th round. Either way it’s a win win now for the cowboys.
The kid will be in Canton when he retires at this rate.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The breaking on the ball speed and coverage skills he showed on yesterday’s int was special. That route isn’t easy to cover. He’s one of those guys that’s faster than his 40 time reveals.
+1 The play was incredible. Reminded me of watching Deon Sanders. Bland was just faster than the other guy and the catch and run was incredible. Meta human type stuff. Looked like he was injected with the super soldier serum.

Rayman70

Reaction score
his football speed and instincts are immeasurable and elite. Hes just an excellent football player.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lool, the plays he’s making on the ball are not from playing in a certain type of scheme.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think it is Bland. That INT he snagged yesterday was an incredible play. He was trailing and reached out to snatch that ball in front of the receiver. Incredible hands and instincts.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Is this a Richard Sherman situation or would Bland be a stud on any team regardless of scheme?
A Richard Sherman situation? Perhaps explaining that would be a good start. I hope he is a Richard Sherman. It doesn't matter how good a fit you are for any particular scheme that you are in, sooner or later you are put in situations during games that expose you if you aren't a good player. Sherman was a very good player

Jarntt

Reaction score
I think it is Bland. That INT he snagged yesterday was an incredible play. He was trailing and reached out to snatch that ball in front of the receiver. Incredible hands and instincts.
Lool, the plays he’s making on the ball are not from playing in a certain type of scheme.
Exactly. It doesn't matter what scheme you are in. Sooner or later mid play you will be in that exact situation. Some guys can make that play and some can't. We all know certain players are better fits for certain situations and no one is doubting that, but your eyes will tell you when guys are good or not when they make great individual plays or come up short within those schemes. This whole scheme thing is being blown way out of proportion here. Bland has made some great individual effort plays the last year and a half that most guys just don't make

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Its the old tried and true scheme other teams dont run

the Bland Scheme,

im actually shocked other teams dont run it.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
He has football speed, and football instincts. Hard to teach this.

He's just a really good CB.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Those DBs in Seattle, including Sherman, were all fantastic football players. They deserve serious props. They were also the beneficiaries of an incredible front line and they used to get away with murder. They would mug the WRs and never get called for it. At one point it was completely out of control.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Bland is a baller!!! He just has this ability to bait QBs. They feel comfortable making a throw and he just closes in, takes the ball, and is off to the races. Kid is a star.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, Sherman was not a "scheme guy". Have no idea where you got that from, but it's not even close. Sherman had this freakish ability to stick to a receivers hip pocket. He looked like a goose in formation, turning w/ the receiver like it was a dance move. Absolutely great player and one of the top CB's of all time. I don't even like the guy, but it's just blatantly easy to recognize his talent.

Bland is playing very well and I'm excited to have a young talent such as him.