Is DaRon Bland a true superstar or a scheme guy like Richard Sherman?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is this a Richard Sherman situation or would Bland be a stud on any team regardless of scheme?
Who knows? Does the sun shine tomorrow?

But, so glad the Cowboys have him.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Is this a Richard Sherman situation or would Bland be a stud on any team regardless of scheme?
Does it matter? Sherman was one of the best. His play and stats stood for it. One thing is true for every position.
There is no scheme that makes a bad player look good. The reason teams don’t always draft players that are more highly rated based on the underwear Olympics is because they don’t fit a team’s scheme. When you combine a talented player with the right scheme that fits him best, you get excellence. If you play mostly zone, don’t draft a CB who excels in man coverage but struggles in zone. The scheme doesn’t make the player; it can only make the most of his talent or make him look less than he could and should be.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yes.

Bland is in a good situation because we are a pass rush-first team that brings so much pressure that QBs are often off the mark. What Quinn does with the defense also forces QBs to get the ball out quickly so you can cheat toward the underneath stuff.

However, you also have to have the skills to take advantage of the scheme, which Bland does. I'm not sure that makes him a superstar on just any defense, but few players are, especially in the secondary. Even the best DBs get burned if their team can't get pressure.

GINeric

Reaction score

It's doesn't matter. Sherman is going to the Hall of Fame and last time I checked, every player in the Hall of Fame played in either an offensive or defensive scheme.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Obviously the guy is special and is currently ascending on a superstar trajectory.. I just hope the Cowboys will be able to afford him when it's time to get paid, because the better he plays the more his price goes up lol.

T-RO

Reaction score
It would happen a lot more but defensive coaches just don't "scheme" for it.
Seriously don't think it's ever gonna happen much under any scheme. Enjoy the player we have.

Most teams have zero defensive TDs for the entire season. Bland has generated so much for the team.

Blackrain

Reaction score
If you watch that play yesterday I don't know how you can say there's any scheme involved.

This player is flat out talented.
He showed that he has speed to close on a ball that I haven't seen out of a cowboy player in a long time.
Along with the fact that he has very good hands.
Combine that with an uncanny nose for the end zone and ability to control his body to get there.
And you have a very special player for the foreseeable future until Jerry somehow screws it up

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Bland used to play WR. So, it is not surprising that he is able to read plays well. He's been a good pick up. I don't even think anyone cares if he's a 5th rounder. He's just special.

T-RO

Reaction score
If you watch that play yesterday I don't know how you can say there's any scheme involved.
Agreed 100%. Most teams would be delighted to have him, even as a mid first round pick.

If you like stats. Check them out. Like PFF grades? Inspect them. Watch the game? LOL. Guy is balling at the highest level, from all aspects.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Agreed 100%. Most teams would be delighted to have him, even as a mid first round pick.

If you like stats. Check them out. Like PFF grades? Inspect them. Watch the game? LOL. Guy is balling at the highest level, from all aspects.
He is also a very nice and humble young man who seems to be dedicated to improving his craft not marketing his brand.

We're very lucky to have him after diggs went down