Is It Just Me Or Is Stephon Gilmore Just Average At Best

conner01

Reaction score
PFF grades him at 70.9 Targeted 60 times and 30 receptions against him. NFL stats show 9 passes defended for the year. He lines up so far off the ball I feel receivers have a good chance at receptions. Every game once or twice I tell my wife "watch, #21 will blow this for Dallas" - and he does. Obviously he used to be a premier CB and I have no idea how he performs during the week in practice or when the game cameras don't show him on a play. Am I kinda clueless here?
If you go by PFF grade he’s above avg. we could be much worse without him. You aren’t likely to have two CB playing at elite levels on many teams and even less once you lost your number 1

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
PFF grades him at 70.9 Targeted 60 times and 30 receptions against him. NFL stats show 9 passes defended for the year. He lines up so far off the ball I feel receivers have a good chance at receptions. Every game once or twice I tell my wife "watch, #21 will blow this for Dallas" - and he does. Obviously he used to be a premier CB and I have no idea how he performs during the week in practice or when the game cameras don't show him on a play. Am I kinda clueless here?
Bad week for this after Bland was getting burned by Metcalf before we switched to having Gilmore covering him and keeping him from doing much more.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it matter what the grades really are for some.

If our defense is playing well. But a player grades out average. Compared to others that may have played against weaker competition. Does it matter?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
He’s a top 15-20 NFL corner still.

It’s just you.
He’s at least close enough, yeah.

There are areas where he’s vulnerable, but he’s still a tough corner to beat, especially for receivers that don’t have a deep bag to pull from.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He's not DPOY Gilmore any more but he's still good. I wouldn't use "average" to describe his play, he just plays a little differently because he's lost a step.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
You have to look big picture with Gilmore. He is no longer an elite athlete, but he his smart, productive, a great Pro and is a tremendously positive influence in the locker room.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think most of us knew when Gilmore signed that he wasn’t what he was, which is why he’s been bouncing around the league. He hasn’t been bad and after the loss of Diggs it’s a good thing we signed him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He’s at least close enough, yeah.

There are areas where he’s vulnerable, but he’s still a tough corner to beat, especially for receivers that don’t have a deep bag to pull from.
He’s lost a step.

Gilmore after losing a step is still incredible.

The position isn’t built for guys to be good at.

plasticman

Reaction score
When a CB's name is rarely spoken by an announcer, that is a good thing.

One of the reasons that the other CB seems to get more opportunities for INT's is because the QB doesn't want to throw it to Gilmore's side.

You will get a CB with one or two years of big INT numbers before most QB's begin to look for safer options. It always looks like a drop off in stats but the lower INT's are in proportion to the lower attempts going his way, the rate is still about the same.

If you see Gilmore with a sudden flurry of INT's then that means QB's are respecting Bland. However, after last week's game, it might take a while longer before you can notice that..

quickccc

Reaction score
Really ?... When does No.21 blow it ?

We're not seeing WRs amass 100-plus yards on him, he seemingly never gets beat or gives up the deep over top shots downfield.
You don't see WRs turning him inside out like Bland

In fact, Dan Quinn trusted Gilmore so much that he placed Gilly on DK Metcalf in the 2nd half of the Seattle game ..after Defensive Player of the Month and NFL INT-record setter Bland was being toasted in the first half .

Yet Gilmore is a liability by your standards ?

Geeez Go figure ... :huh:

CaptSS

Reaction score
Really ?... When does No.21 blow it ?

We're not seeing WRs amass 100-plus yards on him, he seemingly never gets beat or gives up the deep over top shots downfield.
You don't see WRs turning him inside out like Bland

In fact, Dan Quinn trusted Gilmore so much that he placed Gilly on DK Metcalf in the 2nd half of the Seattle game ..after Defensive Player of the Month and NFL INT-record setter Bland was being toasted in the first half .

Yet Gilmore is a liability by your standards ?

Geeez Go figure ... :huh:
Do me a favor. Copy and paste here where in my post I said he was a liability. I'll wait.

quickccc

Reaction score
Do me a favor. Copy and paste here where in my post I said he was a liability. I'll wait.
1) " Every game once or twice I tell my wife "watch, #21 will blow this for Dallas" - and he does "

2) " and I have no idea how he performs during the week in practice or when the game cameras don't show him on a play. "

3) " Am I kinda clueless here? "

You're implying that Gilmore is a liability, and then you're asking if you're clueless ?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Gilmore and Bland did an excellent job covering Brown and Smith in the Philly game.