Is It Just Me Or Is Stephon Gilmore Just Average At Best

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't have to worry about Gilmore as I did with Anthony Brown.

I don't worry about mass 100 yard WRs and not looking back for the ball in air and beaten plays downfield
as I did with Brown, and Gilmore defends the over the top deep shots much better than Bland.

In fact we drafted Kelvin Joseph to replace Brown, and that obviously fell thru the roof.
And the fact that we traded and acquired Gilmore for a late round pick for such solid production, that has
been a revelation for this defense.

He just cannot run like he used to in his NE Pats days as DPOY.
He Knows when to cushion, when to press, when/how to position, man or zone, and we don't
see a lot of big chunk plays against him.

Because he's lost speed, he can be had on crossing routes laterally to the more speedy WRs,
but he's savvy disciplined, technical sound and lose positioning that he gives up the over top big play deep.

quickccc

Reaction score
Gilmore and Bland did an excellent job covering Brown and Smith in the Philly game.
Didn't Bland get beat deep over the top by WR Devontae Smith for one of Philly's TDs ?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's you. When teams decide they'd rather throw at a guy who has returned 5ints for TDs than your other CB, that CB is definitely not average.

quickccc

Reaction score
I actually wish we could find a way to keep Gilmore here as a 3rd CB,. .take over J-Lewis role as 3rd CB/slot
but at his age, maybe he's likely gonna want to gamble as a FA off a solid year on that last big contract
on a playoff contender before he signs off his NFL career.

BTW, the same way Gilmore was never the same again after his ACL injury .. the same big concern
I have with Trevor Diggs with his own ACL injury.

Could it be possible that Diggs with this ACL injury that he slips as a player himself
-into he won't be the previous same elite player again ?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Trade him in for a rookie contract..

Results dont matter...cap hit matters.

Makes sense, yall.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
PFF grades him at 70.9 Targeted 60 times and 30 receptions against him. NFL stats show 9 passes defended for the year. He lines up so far off the ball I feel receivers have a good chance at receptions. Every game once or twice I tell my wife "watch, #21 will blow this for Dallas" - and he does. Obviously he used to be a premier CB and I have no idea how he performs during the week in practice or when the game cameras don't show him on a play. Am I kinda clueless here?
Just you bub

BobSacamano

Reaction score
1) " Every game once or twice I tell my wife "watch, #21 will blow this for Dallas" - and he does "

2) " and I have no idea how he performs during the week in practice or when the game cameras don't show him on a play. "

3) " Am I kinda clueless here? "

You're implying that Gilmore is a liability, and then you're asking if you're clueless ?
lol haha

op taking a beating.

CCBoy

Reaction score
PFF grades him at 70.9 Targeted 60 times and 30 receptions against him. NFL stats show 9 passes defended for the year. He lines up so far off the ball I feel receivers have a good chance at receptions. Every game once or twice I tell my wife "watch, #21 will blow this for Dallas" - and he does. Obviously he used to be a premier CB and I have no idea how he performs during the week in practice or when the game cameras don't show him on a play. Am I kinda clueless here?
The team is taught to keep everything in front of them. He's doing his job and still is responsive at a high level. He's also an important leadership element and earns all of his starts.

CCBoy

Reaction score
see i think these guys are mistaking average for just good... of course he's a shell of his old MVP all pro self, of course he's a shell of his old MVP all pro self,

. No one gets better in their twilight years, hes better then brown or Lewis and if he wasn't here after TD went down, we would be the eagles backend LOL being good or what some call average isnt negative but starting a thread to debate it is well........ anyone remember when brown and lewis went down last year..ouch.

:facepalm:
Oh, he more than survives. I haven't seen him on C-rations yet.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The PFF era.

Gilmore is a very good player. Stuff that in your pocket protector.

heir

Reaction score
Keep in mind, most games we are up big. No need to get burned, so he gives up more catches than his skills truly say. I think he is still a top corner and we are lucky to have him. This is the time of year where we hopefully see his true value.

Praxit

Reaction score
..this thread is hilarious. Gilly is still very good corner.

Stat grades are bologna. We see him press against dudes every week.

He hardly gets beat. He shut down DK last week.

I found that out later on.

Loso86

Reaction score
Lol you don't watch much then. He's been better than average. Numbers back that up too. Last week he was why 14 didn't have a big second half as well. He's not what he was 5 years ago but he is better than average

CWR

Reaction score
lol. He is the reason DK didn’t do anything the second half last week.
I hadn't been overly impressed by him, BUT comparing an older player to our young thunder cats is unfair.

He is still a crafty veteran and you are absolutely right about DK. He bailed us out. Plus he's mentored our younger guys and that's invaluable.