Is It Just Me Or Is Stephon Gilmore Just Average At Best

tm1119

Reaction score
He’s a crafty vet that still has the ability to keep the ball in front of him and not give up big plays…but he’s for sure lost a step to make plays on the ball consistently like he once did. And when he was the #2 that’s all we needed, but any time a team loses their #1 anything it puts a spotlight on the guys behind him. Gilmore is playing fine, he’s just not supposed to be a #1 CB playing the other teams best

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Didn't Bland get beat deep over the top by WR Devontae Smith for one of Philly's TDs ?
It happens.. Who cares.

Again.. This league isn’t built for corners to be successful and if you actually watch that play he was on him like glue.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Didn't Bland get beat deep over the top by WR Devontae Smith for one of Philly's TDs ?
Yes but overall them kept both receivers in check most of that game. Neither went over 100 yards.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
He is still a solid player. I’m happy to have him with his experience. Imagine what shape we would be in without him. Him and DB holding down the fort.

Mark

Reaction score
You don't hear Gilmore's name mentioned a lot during a game, which is a good thing for a guy playing the second-most-difficult position in pro football.

Really glad he's a Cowboy this year, particularly with the early-season loss of Diggs. All in favor of having him return next year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
PFF grades him at 70.9 Targeted 60 times and 30 receptions against him. NFL stats show 9 passes defended for the year. He lines up so far off the ball I feel receivers have a good chance at receptions. Every game once or twice I tell my wife "watch, #21 will blow this for Dallas" - and he does. Obviously he used to be a premier CB and I have no idea how he performs during the week in practice or when the game cameras don't show him on a play. Am I kinda clueless here?
Yes, it's just you.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean the Stefon Gilmore who quieted DK Metcalf when he switched on to him after Bland was toast? Yall really don't be watching the games. I'm sure he'll be on AJ Brown tomorrow. He covers big receivers better. I implore yall to follow Voch Lombardi, A to Z Sports with Will Steele, Akoye Media, LawNation, BossCowboy Sports on youtube and learn something. We have the best content creators in the NFL that do more than just watch they games. Follow them and learn something.
Thanks for shouting out these content creators. They are all awesome. I would add Footsdaking, Cowboys Football Only (CFO) and Big Game James as well. Shango and Cowboys Football Talk (CFT) are entertaining, but they don't do as much analysis.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Imagine how good he would grade out with some safety help.

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
PFF grades him at 70.9 Targeted 60 times and 30 receptions against him. NFL stats show 9 passes defended for the year. He lines up so far off the ball I feel receivers have a good chance at receptions. Every game once or twice I tell my wife "watch, #21 will blow this for Dallas" - and he does. Obviously he used to be a premier CB and I have no idea how he performs during the week in practice or when the game cameras don't show him on a play. Am I kinda clueless here?
It’s just you

FaSho

Reaction score
Yup he is. Gilmore is a reason i was iffy on signing shaq leonard. Colts aren’t getting rid of these players to "go younger". Colts traded him to us for peanuts because they knew he was declining.

That being said, I'm glad he's on the team because I'm terrified of who'd be starting in his place if he wasn't here.
I don't think they traded because he was declining... there's no way they could have known that with him being one of the top CBs in the league last year. Then again, he's getting older, so they probably just took what they could get.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
He's playing really well. He should have drew and OPI on Metcalf last week. Almost had a nice INT. To the OP, do you remember Brown #30 last year?

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score

Is it just me or is Stephon Gilmore just average at best?​

No Its You..Your Post Is just average at best.. :lmao: :laugh::lmao2:

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Meh Gilly may not be a top 5 corner but we aren't paying him like a top 5 corner either. He will come in handy vs bigger more physical WR's like he did when we switched him to follow Metcalf who was torching Bland.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Am I kinda clueless here?
That's a great question! But about Gilmore, he has lost speed from his prime years, but for the most part uses his experience and technique to compensate. Keep in mind that he was brought in to be CB #2 and for that he has done a good job. We are just fortunate that Bland has played as well as he has!

Aven8

Reaction score
He’s a top 15-20 NFL corner still.

It’s just you.
Right. Funny how when Bland was getting eaten alive last week they switched Gil over to Metcalf and he did nothing after the first half. He may not have the speed anymore, but the dude is a technician. Taught by the best defensive coordinator in NFL history. BB